Reasonably priced razor blades

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2019, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts
Default Reasonably priced razor blades

I don't like buying Batteries for all the remotes and changed to Rechargeable Batteries which have worked well. I'm not cheap, I like value. The reason for the post is found below.

The thing that absolutely kills me is the price of the "Name Brand" Razor Blades. It is crazy and not getting any better. I recently found on Amazon the following. Solimo 5-Blade MotionSphere Razor for Men with Dual Lubrication and Precision Beard Trimmer, Handle & 2 Cartridges (Cartridges fit Solimo Razor Handles only)
by SOLIMO. Only $15.99 and you get 16 blades. I give this ten outta ten stars. Good Luck. Hope this helps somebody. It's worth the risk $$. The Shave is Better than the Big Name Blades.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Gold member

I stopped using a blade when I retired. I bought the best Norelco and us it daily. No, it doesn't shave as close as a blade but who cares. I'm RETIRED!
Old 06-08-2019, 09:05 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Nucky, I feel the same way. That looks like a great deal. It takes me a LONG time to go through even one blade.

I saw these the other day and just ordered some. I was impressed with their innovation, reasonable price, and quality website. We'll see. Though not as inexpensive as what you found, I think these are cheaper than the "national brands" and quite different. Check them out...

Defender Razor

They should get here in a day or two....

Frank
Old 06-08-2019, 09:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

If you want to get value buy a German Mekur razor and safety single blades. There is a reason Gillette does not want to use these. They are universal, they are downright cheap!

A Mekur razor is 40.00 for the holder while the blades are 5 to 10 cents each. This is the razor that replaced the straight razor and you could buy at any dime store from the 1900s to the early 1970s. Then Gillette hit upon the the cartridge razor.

All of these razors and handles are available from Amazon.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Old school perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I don't like buying Batteries for all the remotes and changed to Rechargeable Batteries which have worked well. I'm not cheap, I like value. The reason for the post is found below.

The thing that absolutely kills me is the price of the "Name Brand" Razor Blades. It is crazy and not getting any better. I recently found on Amazon the following. Solimo 5-Blade MotionSphere Razor for Men with Dual Lubrication and Precision Beard Trimmer, Handle & 2 Cartridges (Cartridges fit Solimo Razor Handles only)
by SOLIMO. Only $15.99 and you get 16 blades. I give this ten outta ten stars. Good Luck. Hope this helps somebody. It's worth the risk $$. The Shave is Better than the Big Name Blades.
I prefer STANDARD PARTS. I am old enough to remember when you went to Korvetts and bought a headlight bulb for ???? 3.00.
A friend told me the proprietary bulb for his ????? Honda cost him 6-800 and like your blades can only be bought from Honda.

I don't collect either but I know people collect shaving equipment. Surely as many solutions as there are for mouse traps.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pack of the Bic Flex 3 that I heard advertised on FM radio. I'll finish the package but never buy again. Don't like at all.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Platinum member

A few months ago I bought Harry’s razor with two cartridges from Walmart’s. Since then i think Walmart’s has stopped selling them. I don’t recall the price but it was reasonable to get started. I’ve since purchased Harry’s blades on the internet at approximately $2 per. I find the Harry’s shaves as well and as comfortable as the overpriced Gillette blades. Harry’s claims you should get 6-8 shaves from a blade. I’m getting 14 with no complaints. Sorry i didn't switch sooner. Surprised Gillette hasn’t bought them out and removed the competition.

Last edited by REDCART; 06-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
A few months ago I bought Harry’s razor with two cartridges from Walmart’s. Since then i think Walmart’s has stopped selling them. I don’t recall the price but it was reasonable to get started. I’ve since purchased Harry’s blades on the internet at approximately $2 per. I find the Harry’s shaves as well and as comfortable as the overpriced Gillette blades. Harry’s claims you should get 6-8 shaves from a blade. I’m getting 14 with no complaints. Sorry i didn't switch sooner. Surprised Gillette hasn’t bought them out and removed the competition.
I heard Schick bought Harry's.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I was in search of something that was priced properly and doesn't need a touch up with the Braun Electric Shaver afterward. I even tried the straight blade old school blades with no luck.

I'm really impressed with the ones I mentioned big time but wrote down the one's Frank & Toymeister are giving a shot or have tried. I liked Harry's & Dollar Shave Club in the beginning. Didn't turn out as well as it started. Time will tell. Let's meet again in a month.

Not shaving is not an option. I tried and felt like A Duck Dynasty Guy in A Week.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Dollar shave club works well for both. Always have new items and blades last for a long time. We have been using them for over a year. Makes great gifts for the boys.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Dollar shave club works well for both. Always have new items and blades last for a long time. We have been using them for over a year. Makes great gifts for the boys.
Dollar Shave Club repackages Dorco razors. If you like DSC you will love Dorco, same razors, just cheaper.

Available from Amazon.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Dollar Shave Club repackages Dorco razors. If you like DSC you will love Dorco, same razors, just cheaper.

Available from Amazon.
About 1/3 the price! I said I enjoy reading your posts and I mean it.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
About 1/3 the price! I said I enjoy reading your posts and I mean it.
Thank you.

My net shaving cost has been zero for the last decade. I buy old Gillette safety razors at thrift shops for five dollars (tops) clean and polish them then sell on eBay. There are some who collect these. Everyone needs a hobby.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:03 AM
Veteran member

It says something when packages of new cartridges are kept in locked cabinets in the store! Not sure what kind of secondary market there is for stolen razor blades, but apparently it exists.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Solimo 5-Blade MotionSphere Razor for Men with Dual Lubrication and Precision Beard Trimmer, Handle. Only $15.99 and you get 16 blades.
Just ordered two packs (to get free shipping) so if you see me around looking particularly sleek...
Closed Thread

Tags
razor, blades, solimo, ten, cartridges

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.