Recent Sun City Center Opinions?

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Default Recent Sun City Center Opinions?

A search on this site shows the last threads about SCC are from 2013. Anyone have more current opinions on the place?

The Villages vs. Sun City Center | Florida for Boomers

Although 1/5 the size of TV, they are near Tampa, Sarasota, and the beaches. And they have better hospitals nearby.

As far as I can find, they do not have an active forum such as TOTV. There is a Talk Of Sun City site, but there's no SCC postings.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 AM

I have a friend who moved to Sun City, Tampa area, and she is very happy there. She lived in a golf course community north of Tampa before moving there.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
A search on this site shows the last threads about SCC are from 2013. Anyone have more current opinions on the place?

The Villages vs. Sun City Center | Florida for Boomers

Although 1/5 the size of TV, they are near Tampa, Sarasota, and the beaches. And they have better hospitals nearby.

As far as I can find, they do not have an active forum such as TOTV. There is a Talk Of Sun City site, but there's no SCC postings.
Why not do a lifestyle visit at both and form your own opinion?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

It would be nice to hear about because we have some friends that want to head south but can't afford it here. I like first-hand opinions, not from the advertisements. We have friends moving to The Villages from Sun City Arizona. It turned out to not be their thing.

Some people wanna be near the water, not us. The Villages is just perfecto!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Why not do a lifestyle visit at both and form your own opinion?
We're coming to TV this summer - have already driven through & taken the tours.
Need to spend some time at SCC to compare.

Last edited by NatureBoy; 03-25-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 AM

From Sun City Center, FL Retirement Community | Over 55 Community in FL
"...there is no government structure at Sun City Center. The community runs solely on volunteers. A membership association comprised of resident volunteers oversee all community amenities."
That sounds like a recipe for disaster. TVs CDDs at least have power to fund themselves with the amenity fees.
Understanding the inner workings of the local government & how it impacts a community is not something you'd learn from a short visit.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Did a Villages lifestyle preview in May '08. Checked out Sun City Center for two days in September '08 with two different realtors. Bought in The Villages in '09. If the developer wants to cinch a sale, send prospects to SCC. That'll do it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

We looked and there were some nice homes and areas but many more not so nice areas. Many different builders, infrastructure not maintained well, some scary areas close buy...
Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Wise move. A lot smarter than buying in Sun City Center and then visiting The Villages.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:22 AM
Default Senior centers

Quote:
We have had two sets of friends who did a lot of looking at Florida and after two years of part time, "shopping" they bought in two areas near Tampa and also near Orlando. Both places have INDOOR pools and both have a single gate for gated entrance.
Have not seen them yet.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

We visited Sun City Center several years ago — was not impressed. I played golf a few weeks ago with a guy who recently moved from there to The Villages. His only comment about Sun City Center was they didn’t have the golf or activities like The Villages. BTW, he was an excellent golfer. Prior to retirement we visited several communities (primarily in Florida) and also in Arizona. We liked several retirement communities in Arizona but had family ties in Florida. OP, if I was really curious about the Tampa area of Florida, I would spend a few days there to see what Sun City Center has now to offer. If looking for medical care, perhaps Ocala (particularly Top of The World). I have a friend who spent a day at TOTW and he and his wife were very impressed with the community. They are concerned about “medical” here in The Villages. “shrug” - Ocala isn’t that far but it is closer to Shands in Gainesville. Perhaps this “ramble” will help.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We visited Sun City Center several years ago — was not impressed.
Perhaps this “ramble” will help.
Yes. It helps.

I'm very familiar with the Tampa area - I lived in Clearwater for 10 years. I liked it there.

The vibe I'm getting is that SCC is older (both people & houses) & lower key than TV. There's also a bunch of different HOAs (and some areas don't have an HOA), so there is a patchwork of rules. Nice if one wants to pick a place based on the HOA rules (or lack thereof), confusing & annoying otherwise.

Also, TV people are MUCH more active online than SCC folks. That probably speaks to age, but I think also engagement.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 PM
Gold member

I suggest that you look on Zillow to see if people that have sold their homes were selling them for more or less than what they paid for them. You can learn a lot on Zillow. Appreciation or depreciation is important. The Villages has a very good appreciation record.

Have lived in The Villages for 14 years and never have regretted moving here. But The Villages is not for everyone.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Platinum member

I lived in Tampa for 17 years and first visited Sun City when I was just 49.

It’s located in Hillsborough County so the taxes are high.
The traffic all around the area is horrible.
The age seems fairly older then T.V.

For shopping and restaurants you have to go to Brandon
which has really awful traffic.

There didn’t seem to be anything that could compare to
The Villages.

And I did go back when I was in my fifties and thought the place was depressing. IMHO.

Tags
sun, scc, site, opinions, city

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.