Recommendation for a "feel good" movie>

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2021, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I just watched The Life Ahead on Netflix. It stars Sophia Loren. It's subtitled but easy to watch. She's a holocaust survivor running a sort-of daycare. She forms an unlikely relationship with a bitter street kid whom she takes in after he robs her. Written/produced by her son, in what he said may be her final film appearance.

Sophia Loren is amazing in this, in all her ageing beauty. The street kid, Ibrahema Gueye, and the antiques shop owner are excellent.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeb View Post
"A Walk in the Woods".

Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. Some good chuckles and some stunning scenery.

Based on a true story about two older guys who attempt to hike the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.

I used to hike and backpack the White Mountains in NH, but never attempted this incredible journey.
Thanks for the suggestion, the wife and I streamed the flick earlier tonight for our weekly "movie night". We recently both read a couple books about the "thru hikers on the Application Trail" and the movie was timely. Boy do we wish we were in our 20's again, but had the time and resources we have now so we could make the dream a reality. Oh well, we will just have to live with the memories of all the many Appalachian Trial hikes we have done in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine while our bodies still had it in them : )
Old 04-13-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
So now I have to strap on the hook, peg leg and call the parrot to my shoulder to obtain it again . You'd think with Prime, Paramount+, Hulu+Live, Netflix, and HBOMax that one of them would have a free, streamable 50 year old movie that I OWNED at one point. Back then movies cost a LOT of money to buy. $30 in 1980, is the same as $95 today. I'm not paying for it again.
I can't speak to this particular movie, but there are literally thousands of "free" movies available to watch via streaming. Yes, there are ads. But those are making up the costs to the streaming provider. Sometimes there are no ads, like Amazon Prime movies. You do need the Amazon Prime subscription, of course.

I'd put movies I was interested in in a "watch list", so I was notified when they became available for either streaming or free streaming. Many services provide this.

The "Roku Channel" is available online even without having a Roku streaming player. Roku Channel I would put movies you want to see in a "Watch List". Silent Running is available for streaming for $3.99 in quite a few places. There are other services that have quite a library of "free" (with ads) movies.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Just watched "the map of tiny perfect things" .. what a neat movie!
Old 04-15-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
During the "Covid year" we have watched more movies at home than ever. We have DirecTV and check ahead the next week or so on channels that may have movies playing of interest and DVR them. We also have Netflix. So typically on many nights we watch one. Some are "stinkers" and we bail out early, others are "keepers" and hit the right tone for us.

Last night we watched "Wonder". It was so heartwarming. From 2017, with Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, and some wonderful young actors. We DVRd it from channel 'Freeform' on D-TV, but no doubt avail from other platforms. The movie> 'Based on the New York Times bestseller, this movie tells the incredibly inspiring and heartwarming story of August Pullman, a boy with facial differences who enters the fifth grade, attending a mainstream elementary school for the first time.'

It's so well done, and pulls you through all emotions. This should be shown at all elementary schools.

Highly recommend it.

Wonder (2017) - IMDb
"Take The Lead", with Antonio Banderas. No violence, no foul language and a TRUE story to boot. Very uplifting.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:34 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Second Hand Lions....Michael Caine and Robert Duvall.....one of our favorites.

For Christmastime, The Fourth Wise Man, with Martin Sheen

Wartime submarine movies, K9 The Widowmaker and of course The Hunt for Red October

Recent movie I liked, "Run, Hide, Fight" about a school shooting and personal bravery.

An old black and white cult classic, "The Bad Seed"......very unique.

Also one of my old time favorites, "Mr Blandings builds his Dream House". Cary Grant.

Frank D.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Wartime submarine movies, K9 The Widowmaker and of course The Hunt for Red October.
If you haven't already seen any of these check them out:

"Run Silent Run Deep"

"Torpedo Run"

"Operation Pacific"

"Destination Tokyo"

And my all time favorite "Das Boot" in German with subtitles of course.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I will steal the Thread (I'm the OP), for this little tidbit.

Lately, I've been in the habit of going to the bedroom about 9pm - while SHE watching more News (I've had it with news...) For the last week I've been checking out the old "Twilight Zone" series from the 60s. Night before last, watched The Twilight Zone:
- The Lateness of the Hour (1960) ... INGER STEVENS played "Jana".

I was taken by her pretty appearance (hey, I'm a guy...). Typical TZ "shocker ending"... I thought to myself after watching - "I need to google her to see if she is still alive - must be 90 or so". Forgot to yesterday - remembered to check just now.

OMG...so sad, died at 36>

Following her suicide from acute barbiturate poisoning, it was revealed that Inger had been long married (from 1961) to African-American bit actor Ike Jones. The marriage, for obvious reasons, was kept under wraps to protect her career. They were estranged at the time she died.
She cheated death three times. In her first suicide attempt, she swallowed sleeping pills and ammonia which left her with blood clots in her lungs, legs swelled up to twice their size, and temporary blindness (she miraculously recovered within weeks); one time, she and Rod Steiger were nearly asphyxiated by carbon monoxide fumes while filming a scene from Cry Terror! (1958) in a tunnel (Steiger said years later she initially refused medical treatment at the scene, she said she wanted to die); and once she leaped from a crash-landing jet liner minutes before it exploded.
SPOILER: One of her best remembered TV roles was the episode The Twilight Zone: The Hitch-Hiker (1960), in which she played a frantic driver who kept passing the same hitchhiker on the road ("Going my way?"). The audience later finds out the phantom actually represented Death and that she had been killed in a car accident all along.
Was romantically involved with Bing Crosby during and after they appeared together in Man on Fire (1957). The relationship never led to marriage because Stevens refused to convert to Catholicism. When Crosby married Kathryn Grant, (who had converted) a year or two later, Stevens was devastated.
A month after her death, her widower, Ike Jones, asked to be named administrator of her estate. Her brother appeared in court to support him, and eventually was given half of the estate. He immediately gave all the money to children's charities and mental health organizations.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	download (25).jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	89086  
Old 04-15-2021, 10:35 AM
Gold member

Below are 3 movies that I enjoyed very much. I suggest that you watch them in the order below. Also you can watch the previews that I put next to the titles

Enjoy

The Ultimate Gift The Ultimate Gift - Official Movie Trailer - YouTube

The Ultimate Life The Ultimate Life - Official Trailer 2013 - YouTube

The Ultimate Legacy The Ultimate Legacy Trailer - YouTube
Old 04-15-2021, 11:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Second Hand Lions....Michael Caine and Robert Duvall.....one of our favorites.

For Christmastime, The Fourth Wise Man, with Martin Sheen

Wartime submarine movies, K9 The Widowmaker and of course The Hunt for Red October

Recent movie I liked, "Run, Hide, Fight" about a school shooting and personal bravery.

An old black and white cult classic, "The Bad Seed"......very unique.

Also one of my old time favorites, "Mr Blandings builds his Dream House". Cary Grant.

Frank D.
Second Hand Lions and Mr. Blanding Builds his Dream House are wonderful recommendations.
Closed Thread

Tags
movie, elementary, heartwarming, watched, movies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.