Remember The Old Days When?

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 PM
Eternal Member

I remember riding my bike over to Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis after dinner on summer evenings and going fishing. Caught some huge carp over there - and released them back into the lake.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:20 PM
Gold member

As a pre-teen, it was model airplanes. Still do that.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Platinum member

When the ten dollar junkyard 1953 Chrysler Hemi engine I stuffed into my 1946 Ford Coupe roared to life and didn't smoke. I was sixteen and now at 72 I still have the catalog and all the order slips from Honest Charlie's Speed Shop that made that moment possible.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:26 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,603 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
When the ten dollar junkyard 1953 Chrysler Hemi engine I stuffed into my 1946 Ford Coupe roared to life and didn't smoke. I was sixteen and now at 72 I still have the catalog and all the order slips from Honest Charlie's Speed Shop that made that moment possible.
Wow! A guy I knew put a Hemi into a Ford coupe and had to move the firewall back. I put a '50 Olds in my '47 Ford coupe using an Honest Charlie adapter plate. Small world!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Sage

My brother is 7 years younger then me. It's not like we had a lot in common. But we lived close enough to NYC that a bus ride could get us close to Broadway. This is hard to believe but when he was 7, I could get Broadway two-fers at the local liqueur store. And for less then $15 we could go see a Broadway Show at the Saturday matinee.

My brother is far more successful then I have been. Now that the tables have turned, he takes me places.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:43 AM

I remember when my parents bought us a slinky! My sister, brother and I loved watching it come down the steps while we sang the slinky song.
Also, the joy in my heart as I approached the penny candy display still brings a smile to my face.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Wow! A guy I knew put a Hemi into a Ford coupe and had to move the firewall back. I put a '50 Olds in my '47 Ford coupe using an Honest Charlie adapter plate. Small world!
All I had to do is use adapters so the motormount adapter matched up to the old flathead mounts, drill the flywheel to accept the Ford pressure plate, adapt the bellhousing to the '39 Ford gearbox, and change the radiator. I did several of these swaps with various engines into '39-48 Fords and on one I had to drop the tie rod to clear the oil pan, but I don't recall which engine required that. Could have been the Chrysler.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
All I had to do is use adapters so the motormount adapter matched up to the old flathead mounts, drill the flywheel to accept the Ford pressure plate, adapt the bellhousing to the '39 Ford gearbox, and change the radiator. I did several of these swaps with various engines into '39-48 Fords and on one I had to drop the tie rod to clear the oil pan, but I don't recall which engine required that. Could have been the Chrysler.

Behind that strange name is a righteous gearhead !
Old 08-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
Behind that strange name is a righteous gearhead !
Sold everything to move here..Jeep Commando, Triumph TR4, 1929 Flathead powered Ford roadster, Cushman Eagle, and a shop full of metal fab tools. Remorse for the Eagle...don't know why I sold that one, as it took up no room at all. Actually now that I think about it, I didn't sell up to move here, I sold up to leave there. Lived on the road for almost a year until we landed here. Remorse set in, and I have already bought a new MIG welder, so watch this space.

Tags
bees, birds, clean, excited, smiley

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.