Remembering the Old "The Price is Right"

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2019, 11:14 AM
Arrow Remembering the Old "The Price is Right"

5 Things You Didn't Know About The Price Is Right

On June 15, 2007, Bob Barker ended his 35-year run as the host of The Price Is Right, the CBS game show where audience members were chosen to guess the prices of various items. Here are five things you didn't know about television's longest-running game show...

Hair Color Proved to Be an Unexpected Boost

There's a lot of pressure to appear younger in Hollywood, but it's not always due to a fear of age. Earlier television cameras, even when color TV was already the norm, weren't that good at picking up certain colors. Gray hair posed a problem because it looked like no hair when it was in patches. Barker had started going gray at the temples and noted that he looked like he simply didn't have hair there, so execs had him dye his hair. At one point, he went on vacation from both the show and the hair dye and found that people around him preferred the gray color. He managed to get the OK from showrunners to stop dyeing his hair, much to his happiness and the apparent delight of the home audience, one of whom wrote in that Barker's sudden change in hair color must have been due to one really adventurous night.

The People Chosen to Be Participants Aren't Totally Random Draws

It's pretty well-known that people sit in the audience on the show in order to get a chance to have their name called. But it's not that well-known, at least to those who have never tried to be in the audience, that the name draws aren't totally random. Everyone in the audience is screened, first when they're in line to get in — a man named Stan Blits greets each person and gives his assistant a code word if he thinks someone in line is a real contender. Then when the show starts, Blits and crew observe the people they met in line and further narrow down the list of names they're likely to call. Blits has said he wants to see enthusiasm, so people who are energetic in line but then quiet all the time in the audience drop off the list.

You Could Technically Lose Cash by Winning

Anyone who has ever won a contest in the United States will know why winning on the show could be a money-losing event: In the U.S., you have to pay taxes on any winnings, even if the winnings themselves aren't cash. So if you win a $20,000 car, you have to fork out the tax money on $20,000 worth of automobile. If you already don't have a lot of money, that could be difficult to swing. The show sends out a letter first, detailing the taxes you need to pay before you get your prizes.

There Was a Wardrobe Malfunction.

Was there ever a wardrobe malfunction, unfortunately. A woman in the audience was called up to the stage and became so excited that her tube top fell. OK, that statement about how the show is expecting enthusiasm? If you're going to get that enthusiastic, be sure your clothing is on very securely.

One Model's Life Was Forever Changed by the Show — and Not in a Good Way

One of the models who worked on the show, Janice Pennington, was knocked over by a camera on set. She fell into the audience and had to undergo surgery that left her with visible physical changes. She remained on the show for several years after that but could not wear the swimsuit that had been her show "uniform" for years. She was eventually fired from the show, though not because of the accident or its effects; there had been a wrongful termination suit against the show, and Pennington gave a deposition in favor of the model suing the show.

[url=https://triviatoday.com/blog/featured.asp?a=336917]

Last edited by Midnight Cowgirl; 06-15-2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Ironic that you mention this show...

...as I recently watched a documentary on Netflix, titled...

The Perfect Bid: The Contestant Who Knew Too Much (Poke Here)

While the guy who was the focus of the show was kinda weird/goofy, it was still interesting to watch...how serious some folks take it.

And I guess I'm not up to date with TV celebrities, because I took a double-take seeing what Drew Carey looks like now... compared to when he hosted the show.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I was on the Price is Right in 1959 on their Christmas program with all kids competing for prizes with Bill Cullen as host....great experience. I won a ping pong table. I was selected since my is Birthday Xmas Eve which provided Cullen a good lead in Question.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

I missed the Christmas show case in 1983 by 26 cents.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I missed the Christmas show case in 1983 by 26 cents.
Now that's funny!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

The show of choice when home from school sick.
Closed Thread

Tags
show, audience, hair, people, color

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.