Remote Control "Quad" Copter

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Default Remote Control "Quad" Copter

Just got interested in buying a 4 Rotor "Quad" Copter and was wondering if anyone had experience. I am wanting to do "Aerial" Photographs and wanted to buy the Blade 350SX Model but heard complaints about R/F problems with Go Pro Camera.

Can anyone help? Would appreciate all. Thank you
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennDrifter View Post
Just got interested in buying a 4 Rotor "Quad" Copter and was wondering if anyone had experience. I am wanting to do "Aerial" Photographs and wanted to buy the Blade 350SX Model but heard complaints about R/F problems with Go Pro Camera.

Can anyone help? Would appreciate all. Thank you
I purchased the DJI Phantom 2 with a Zensmuse Gimbal, GoPro Hero3+ Silver Addition, DJI MIni OSD, DJI 5.8 GHZ video downlink, 7 inch screen, and a pair of Fat Shark Basic FPV Goggles. I had the vendor install all the pieces together since I was new to this hobby. Been flying around StoneCrest. I put up a YouTube video search for: Drone Flight Central Florida or Central Florida Drone Flight I can never remember which way I worded the heading.

The Phantom 2 flight characteristics make it very easy to fly and the Zensmuse Gimbal produce a very nice video by stabilizing the camera as the bird flies along. The gimbal is set up with a connector that plugs directly into the camera. This taps into the video camera connection and power of the Phantom to charge the battery of the camera and provide a connection to your FPV Video Transmitter. I have not had any problems using the GoPro Camera. I record the flights to the Camera's Memory Card and then transfer it to the computer. The FPV video link make it possible to watch and see what the camera sees as you fly along. The goggles are the most fun as it makes you feel like your flying in the aircraft. There are a number of people that sell the Phantom 2. I would purchase it again but now that I have some experience and have seen how things go together I would probably install everything myself on further purchases. I've looked at some of the other designs and I may down the road put one together from scratch but the Phantom made it easy to get started. I think I took my first flight 30 minutes after it was delivered to the door.

FPV stands for First Person View. To put these things together there is a lot of soldering wires together. They provide a connector to plug into the device your installing but the other end is usually just wires. Not a difficult task but if you've never done it before or do not have the tools then you will have a little bit of a learning curve. There are lots of videos on the internet that show people installing and building these aircraft.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Default Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply as you definitely jumped in waaay ahead of me. I think I read Newspaper article about you and the Phantom? I'm in over $500 and have not bought the "Go Pro" yet and after reading many articles about MAJOR prop failures have sent off for "Carbon Fiber" props. I have been looking at the Phantom for some time and realize it has the "Go to Home" feature but was told my Blade 350 was "easier" to fly although not as nice as the Phantom. And now I find you have to "wrap" Go Pro in aluminum shielding to protect GPS lock.

I'd love to get with you sometime at the Polo Field or wherever and see just how "complicated" flying your quad is. I still have not flown mine as I am waiting on props. Hopefully you can teach me something as it has been 50+ years since I tried to fly .....My horror is seeing my $500 investment flying off into the sunset as I am VERY interested in using Video.

Thank you again for your comments. Look forward to hearing more about your Phantom and see what you think about my investment. Both are "similar" except for the fact that you have a small fortune in your Video equipment as I just want to make sure I can "master" flying before adding all the "extra $$$. And as far as building one myself.... well maybe in my next lifetime.

Let me know when you'll be flying or if I can send you a PM with my phone number as with the new technology I am sure it's not as bad now.... as a couple months ago to fly. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
I purchased the DJI Phantom 2 with a Zensmuse Gimbal, GoPro Hero3+ Silver Addition, DJI MIni OSD, DJI 5.8 GHZ video downlink, 7 inch screen, and a pair of Fat Shark Basic FPV Goggles. I had the vendor install all the pieces together since I was new to this hobby. Been flying around StoneCrest. I put up a YouTube video search for: Drone Flight Central Florida or Central Florida Drone Flight I can never remember which way I worded the heading.

The Phantom 2 flight characteristics make it very easy to fly and the Zensmuse Gimbal produce a very nice video by stabilizing the camera as the bird flies along. The gimbal is set up with a connector that plugs directly into the camera. This taps into the video camera connection and power of the Phantom to charge the battery of the camera and provide a connection to your FPV Video Transmitter. I have not had any problems using the GoPro Camera. I record the flights to the Camera's Memory Card and then transfer it to the computer. The FPV video link make it possible to watch and see what the camera sees as you fly along. The goggles are the most fun as it makes you feel like your flying in the aircraft. There are a number of people that sell the Phantom 2. I would purchase it again but now that I have some experience and have seen how things go together I would probably install everything myself on further purchases. I've looked at some of the other designs and I may down the road put one together from scratch but the Phantom made it easy to get started. I think I took my first flight 30 minutes after it was delivered to the door.

FPV stands for First Person View. To put these things together there is a lot of soldering wires together. They provide a connector to plug into the device your installing but the other end is usually just wires. Not a difficult task but if you've never done it before or do not have the tools then you will have a little bit of a learning curve. There are lots of videos on the internet that show people installing and building these aircraft.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum member
Default Wow!

Steve's video on youtube is Drone Flight Central Florida.

Steve the stability is excellent and the lens resolution is incredible! What a great video.

Because of my mobility issues I haven't yet gotten down to the Polo Grounds to meet some of the fliers, but I hope to be able to do so sometime in the future.

Many years ago I worked in the Technical Surveillance area of the Sheriff's Office in Tampa. At one of the annual Technical Officer Conventions they demonstrated an aerial surveillance helicopter which was a simple R/C hobbist's helicopter with a small camera and transmitter attached.

It's proposed use was for SWAT units to get a peek at barricaded suspects. It was somewhat capable, but what you have done is the difference in a Model T and a Maserati.

Really impressive.

Carl
Old 05-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Ended up buying the Blade 350 QX and without the NEW technology I'd still be on the sideline...watching. Now looking at different Go Pro Camera's for my QuadCopter. Will also upgrade to bigger Quad when I get comfortable with this one....

Seems like it's like buying your wife a dress...1st the dress....then the shoes....then the blouse.... and next your overdrawn. Oh well.... a man can't have enough... toys
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.