Retired Police Thread

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2020, 12:12 PM

Thank you from a newly retired police sergeant just outside of Wash DC. I feel lucky I made it out physically intact. I pray for my brothers and sisters still fighting to keep our communities safe. It is normally a pretty thankless job. I cherished every time I received a thank and try to thank every officer I see now. I look forward to when the retired police group of TheVillages meets again. Thank you to all the police working and retired!
Old 06-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
Still working. Visit few times a year and plan on being a toad in 22 months. I have met a few there and ask how long does it take to not look at everything suspicious. Everyone is so laid back and I feel like I am on level 10 even on vacation. Anyways most say it takes a year and then you ease into the retirement. See you over the 4th.
You will always sit with your back against a wall. And your eyes and head still swivel, albeit because of age, slower. After many years mine still do.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:27 PM

A large part of our population are not aware of the dynamics of policing , and what many officers experience daily. The negative comments , the witnessing of the effects of poverty on a daily basis, including domestice violence , child and elder abuse. Dealing with those under the influence of drugs and alchohol. The stress of not knowing what your are walking into when responding to a situation . Going from "excuse me sir " to a knock down drag out street fight , all the while trying to retain your weapon. Lucky my scars are only skin deep. In contrast you get to see the good , the shop owners , mothers with their children , the older couple working in their yard , many times a kind thank you. I don't believe more money is the answer , education , teaching respect and love might be a help. Law enforcement is a great vocation with many life lasting rewards.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivens View Post
If they were that smart they wouldn't be out in the streets protesting, rioting and destroying property. People are generally brainwashed by watching too much news!
You missed post #1.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:38 PM

Saw it , just some first hand knowledge for what its worth.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

Any retired Chicago police in the villages? If so they might like to look at a facebook page "CPD Pension Board Accountability Page" They/we are trying to have a comprehensive forensic audit of the Chicago police pension and have raised over $20K out of our own pockets to pay for it . The pension board is doing their best to stonewall this effort, wonder why, If you are drawing a pension from them ,its your money we are talking about, have a look at the site and inform others
Old 06-09-2020, 02:38 PM

While the police appreciate the supporters I can tell you they are feeling very alone. 90% of them got into this job because they wanted to help people, fight to protect those who couldn’t protect themselves. We knew the money sucked, the long hours sucked, the holidays away from your family sucked, missed family events sucked but they did it anyway. Right now I think police officers would like to see some kind of outward public support for them from politicians as well as the public. Rallies for protest but no one seems to want to rally for support.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecenturian View Post
While the police appreciate the supporters I can tell you they are feeling very alone. 90% of them got into this job because they wanted to help people, fight to protect those who couldn’t protect themselves. We knew the money sucked, the long hours sucked, the holidays away from your family sucked, missed family events sucked but they did it anyway. Right now I think police officers would like to see some kind of outward public support for them from politicians as well as the public. Rallies for protest but no one seems to want to rally for support.
Thanks for that. I agree 100%

Steve
Old 06-09-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Thank you for remembering us, it's nice to know some people really do care.
Ah come on. Everybody knows that the police are useless even my son (he's NYPD). I can't wait till the Colins' of the world finally get rid of all the police. It will be so refreshing to have a social worker to console me after I get assaulted or worse.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
If you served your community as a police officer before retiring to The Villages we want to thank you for your service!
Do you know something that really stuns me about this Beautiful Thread? The absence of those who I would think would have jumped on this subject to praise those who worked their entire life in a tough job and retired with dignity. I Thank You All From The Bottom Of my Heart.

I don't judge any of you because of those that have done wrong. Justice for them is what I hope for, not withholding praise for the people who did their jobs honorably.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
You will always sit with your back against a wall. And your eyes and head still swivel, albeit because of age, slower. After many years mine still do.
Truer words were never spoken.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-09-2020, 05:27 PM

Yes, thank you!! On a different note....there have been several posts/subjects, on this Talk of the Villages, that have not allowed comments, replies, etc. I am not a negative, accusing person, BUT, I think this is a place where we can share with those that posted, and I found on several, apparently that option was blocked... Rather disappointing, IMHO
Old 06-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had an encounter this past December with a Sumter County Deputy. First time I had been stopped since 1988, which is a miracle because I always speed.

He stopped me for doing 50 on Powell Road northbound coming up towards 466A. I think he must of been coming out of the new Police headquarters on that side road.

I pulled over and he come up to the window as I was pulling into the Walgreens parking lot. He said, why are in such a hurry to get to Walgreens. I told him, the traffic in the right lane was solid, and there was no way to get into the right lane to make a right turn unless I sped up and got in front. He asked for my license and a couple of minutes later he came back and said 'Merry Christmas' and handed it back.

I told him, I was watch the show Live PD and I had great respect for the police and shook his hand. He said, don't believe everything you see on that show and said Good-Day!! When you watch Live PD, you'll see a lot of people have an attitude and if they just treated the cop with a little respect, most of the problems would never exist.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:45 PM
Thumbs up Retired police in The Villages

Retired USAF Security Police officer. 29 years, 1 month, 11 days; but who was counting? Would hit the replay button again, if I could.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Thanks for your continuing service. Feel free to share your experiences here as most of us support law enforcement 100%. Have you worked any of the protests/riots?

PS Your username here is kinda funny for a cop!
Name was given to me by motorcycle buddies. Got it for my plate. Work in suburb of Pittsburgh and been out of the mess. We staff sufficiently to man both the community protest and the work shift. With 30 years and Senior guy who works the road, I pick answering calls for service and leave the choir practice to the younger guys. Pittsburgh City police have their hands full but surrounding communities have to team up as most are 20-50 men departments and cant handle all this. Lucky for us they move daily so each day the choir practice moves with it. I call it that because its mostly standing around until cameras show up for the show.
Closed Thread

Tags
officer, police, retired, retiring, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.