Retired sports stars in the villages?

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

There was a story in The Sun last year about the Dolphins punter on the 1972 undefeated team, it was Larry Seiple and he lives in TV.

I was at my St. Petersburg High School reunion in 2013 and at the cocktail party I was talking to this fellow and I asked, what had he been doing since 1968? He said, to start with I was a major league catcher from 1970 to 1984, his name was Milt May.

Milt May Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
Old 08-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I know the mother of someone who changes the score board for the Baltimore Ravens. Or, did. She moved away from the Villages a few years back. The mother, I mean.

Her and the father of the casting assistant director for Saving Private Ryan would really go at it with bets about the Patriots facing the Ravens.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Word on the street, the now retired airline pilot, was piloting when the shoe bomber, tried to shoe bomb his jetliner...Now, resides in The villages..The pilot, not the shoe bomber..
Old 08-01-2018, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,048 Times in 2,738 Posts

Wow, the OP seems to be getting unneccearialy hammered for asking an innocent question that I foundd rather interesting as a sports fan! Although I personally don't know of any sports celebrities currently living in the Villages, Nancy Lopez used to, the Conceco brothers have reportably shown up for some softball home run derbys, and the parents/grandparents of a few PGA tour players have been reported to be Villagers. My guess is that there are more, but nothing I can substantiate.

Many of us are ledgends in our own minds, but we are not nationally recognized sports celebrities.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
Word on the street, the now retired airline pilot, was piloting when the shoe bomber, tried to shoe bomb his jetliner...Now, resides in The villages..The pilot, not the shoe bomber..
He is a terrific guy. We are friends.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 08-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

I agree tophcfa .. This thread is a clear sign of the snarkiness of many responders .. appeared to be a legitimate post .. if nothing to add to OPs question, move on to the next post ..
Old 08-02-2018, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
...OP seems to be getting unneccearialy hammered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
I agree tophcfa .. This thread is a clear sign of the snarkiness of many responders ...
Are we even reading same thread? One or two cautions against revealing too much personal information warrants this?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Many retired sports stars want to retain as much privacy as possible. I would not pass on such information, especially to an anonymous inquirer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthandhappiness View Post
Hello everyone,

I am doing some research and I was wondering if there are any retired sports "people" that are generally well-known in the villages? Doesn't have to be players, per se, but sports related generally. Thanks in advance!
Generally no. They tend to live in higher income communities south of here with real gates and guards. You will find a few of their parents in these parts.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
There are a few but I know I wouldn’t give out their personal information here (or anywhere else).
I agree, even famous residents deserve to have their confidentiality respected.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Many retired sports stars want to retain as much privacy as possible. I would not pass on such information, especially to an anonymous inquirer.
Good grief, the paranoia here is rampant. OP didn't ask for addresses and social security numbers.
You can pick almost any retired famous person, search them on wikipedia and it tells what city they currently live in. OP had an interesting question.

Last edited by spring_chicken; 08-02-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage

About 3 years ago I got paired up with a guy who told me he was from Liverpool. He looked the righ age and told me he was Paul McCartney's younger brother's best friend. Although he said everyone hung out with each other. He knew all the Beetles as little kids who played in and around the bombed out buildings. He didn't go on and on. I wish I would have took him to lunch and asked a lot of questions.

I once snuck back stage at a Harry Chapin Concert at Montclair Stae College. He was in a circle of people and each person took a turn asking a question. When he got to me the only thing I could think of asking was "How are you Harry." Everybody game me that "What a jerk look." I got pretty good at recognizing that look.

I know I changed the subject but I agree with Redwitch.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

The Villages Magazine has done several articles over the years focusing on former college, professional, and Olympic athletes and coaches, as well as parents of well-known athletes and coaches. I recall recently an article about Larry Bird's college coach. Also Stewart Cink and Mike Bray's parents.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:40 PM

The Golf player Frank McIsaac is living in TV. I don’t want to give out the last names, But 2 of the 4 some were Dave——— and Paul——
I know them 2. It was a Great day. I got an autograph on a five dollar bill. And a picture of the 4 of us. And i now know where he lives,
But i would never say.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

I can see why some would become a bit suspicious. Very first post from someone who says they are "doing research" and looking for names.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.