Retired sports stars in the villages?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I can see why some would become a bit suspicious. Very first post from someone who says they are "doing research" and looking for names.
Yep, that's NOTHING but...a little off.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 PM

I feel, here in The Villages, people tend not to put much emphasis on what they did in their "former life."
We are all busy just enjoying what life has to offer here.
Most of us have friends from all walks of life.
And I think that is what is most interesting about our community.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthandhappiness View Post
Hello everyone,

I am doing some research and I was wondering if there are any retired sports "people" that are generally well-known in the villages? Doesn't have to be players, per se, but sports related generally. Thanks in advance!
Don't pay attention to all the O.F. responses on here. ( rhymes with art) No one thinks their words are clever or funny.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjie55 View Post
Don't pay attention to all the O.F. responses on here. ( rhymes with art) No one thinks their words are clever or funny.
That certainly applies here.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
I really don't understand your response. Was this kind of a snarky reply that I know and you don't. Why would you even respond? I am not trying to be a smart Alec maybe you could help me
No, wasn’t trying to be snarky. I just wasn’t comfortable (still am not) with the question. These people deserve their privacy if they so choose. I know of a former Miami Dolphin who played with the undefeated fish who lives here. Ditto a Royals World Series winner. Nancy Lopez used to live here.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Platinum member

I think the OP may be a reporter for the DS. No need for suspicion. Namaste.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:06 AM

I think someone should start a thread "What's your mother's maiden name?"
Please include your date of birth. Thanks.
You know just doing some research.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I think the OP may be a reporter for the DS. No need for suspicion. Namaste.
That is just the point. We can only guess the who, what, and why. Secrecy is not a good way to get cooperation.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The OP has not appeared again? OH.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:12 PM

I played Mallory with a retired MLB player a little while ago. Nice guy. I remember him playing ball.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Platinum member

I have the same number of Tour de France wins as Lance Armstrong.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I have the same number of Tour de France wins as Lance Armstrong.
Wow.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Wow.
Oh, it's nothing.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:14 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Interesting thread. In all these years doing Inspections in The Villages, I can honestly say I have met the most interesting and often the nicest folks. We have done inspections for some famous people, some well known sports figures, high ranking retired Gov't folks, an Astronaut, famous singers and Hollywood folks, several former Secret Service people, and many fascinating people whose lives were dedicated being small parts of amazing American history.

In my former career as a professional Firefighter and Medic, people, famous or not, called 911 and needed our help. We saw the inside of their homes, we cut them out of crushed cars, we saw them sick, injured, naked, upset, etc, etc. Folks do not "clean up the house" or "get dressed" before they call 911. Our job was to serve and save lives and property.....this was an honor, and we were bound NEVER to speak of any aspect of any call EVER.

You might think it is corny, but I feel the same way when we do a Home Inspection. You hire us to come into your home. We inspect every room, etc. That is an honor we do not take lightly. We would never disclose personal information. I have found that famous people appreciate our discretion and I never ever want to be accused to be a "name dropper".

It is not being "snarky"....it is being Professional.

I like to think that everyone has an amazing story, famous or not. We all put our pants on one leg at a time and we all deserve to be treated with the same respect, until proven otherwise.

I'm sure the first post was an innocent question....and of course it is interesting to know a neighbor is famous....but I hope that folks will understand if there are some here, including myself that would feel uncomfortable answering it.

Respectfully, Frank D.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Interesting thread. In all these years doing Inspections in The Villages, I can honestly say I have met the most interesting and often the nicest folks. We have done inspections for some famous people, some well known sports figures, high ranking retired Gov't folks, an Astronaut, famous singers and Hollywood folks, several former Secret Service people, and many fascinating people whose lives were dedicated being small parts of amazing American history.

In my former career as a professional Firefighter and Medic, people, famous or not, called 911 and needed our help. We saw the inside of their homes, we cut them out of crushed cars, we saw them sick, injured, naked, upset, etc, etc. Folks do not "clean up the house" or "get dressed" before they call 911. Our job was to serve and save lives and property.....this was an honor, and we were bound NEVER to speak of any aspect of any call EVER.

You might think it is corny, but I feel the same way when we do a Home Inspection. You hire us to come into your home. We inspect every room, etc. That is an honor we do not take lightly. We would never disclose personal information. I have found that famous people appreciate our discretion and I never ever want to be accused to be a "name dropper".

It is not being "snarky"....it is being Professional.

I like to think that everyone has an amazing story, famous or not. We all put our pants on one leg at a time and we all deserve to be treated with the same respect, until proven otherwise.

I'm sure the first post was an innocent question....and of course it is interesting to know a neighbor is famous....but I hope that folks will understand if there are some here, including myself that would feel uncomfortable answering it.

Respectfully, Frank D.
So proud to know YOU.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.