Retirement: Best Thing about not having a Boss

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 09:56 PM
Default Retirement: Best Thing about not having a Boss

After receiving no less than 7 emails from my boss today with to-do items (it's Sunday, you know), I was wondering what everyone thinks is the BEST thing about no longer having a boss (spouses not included).
Old 02-01-2015, 10:06 PM
Veteran member

As a former teacher the best thing about no longer working is being able to go to the bathroom whenever I want to not when I have a prep time. Other teachers know what I mean.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

Sunday night is great! While I owned a company, I still had many frustrations and great days as well.

It's 10 pm now and I use to be fast asleep in preparation for Monday morning going to work.

It's been 4 months since I HAD to be somewhere and I still wake up EVERYDAY so happy, blessed, and relaxed.

How much longer do you have before you are retired DruannB?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 PM

Boy do i ever! lOL
Or spending evenings grading
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I worked with television deadlines looming over my head. I still look at doctor's appointments, lunch dates, entertaining, etc., as a deadline. Maybe I'll never get over that. But it's so nice to know they are my own deadlines and not my bosses'. I can always change them.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 AM

I'm a professor and former journalist. Deadlines are my life. I can't wait until I set my own schedule--and bathroom breaks. We plan to buy in TV this summer and I will retire at the end of the 2015-16 school year...fingers crossed. I'm not sure I can quit cold turkey, however. I've been working at my home desk today for about 12 hours. How do you just stop that kind of living cold?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:20 AM
Sage
Default Taking a nap anytime of the day you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
After receiving no less than 7 emails from my boss today with to-do items (it's Sunday, you know), I was wondering what everyone thinks is the BEST thing about no longer having a boss (spouses not included).

We've always been self employed, for the most part, since 1973; thus, no boss but ourselves...........however:

TAKING A NAP ANYTIME OF THE DAY THAT YOU WISH.........

STAYING UP AS LATE AT NIGHT AS YOU WISH.......
Old 02-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like your boss is a jerk.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'm a professor and former journalist. Deadlines are my life. I can't wait until I set my own schedule--and bathroom breaks. We plan to buy in TV this summer and I will retire at the end of the 2015-16 school year...fingers crossed. I'm not sure I can quit cold turkey, however. I've been working at my home desk today for about 12 hours. How do you just stop that kind of living cold?
While my husband retired in 2013, our plan was me to sell my company 2015/2016. The more time we spent in TV, the more relaxed I became.

I too didn't think I could quit cold turkey BUT I love our new life. Knowing I am more healthy by being so much more active and able to have time to cook. Yes I love cooking now!

To answer your question about stopping "that kind of living".....there is so much TV has to offer, you quickly forget about your old life! I promise
Old 02-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
While my husband retired in 2013, our plan was me to sell my company 2015/2016. The more time we spent in TV, the more relaxed I became.

I too didn't think I could quit cold turkey BUT I love our new life. Knowing I am more healthy by being so much more active and able to have time to cook. Yes I love cooking now!

To answer your question about stopping "that kind of living".....there is so much TV has to offer, you quickly forget about your old life! I promise
Thanks, Blessed2BNTV, for your post. I especially liked your last statement which is what I was hoping for myself. Now, if it will only instill the love of cooking in me, I'll be golden!!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I started selling real estate in 1973 and was a seven-day-a-week guy. About 3 years ago my wife and I visited TV. The second day I told her that if I ever retired, which I really didn’t think I ever wanted to do, that we would have to live in TV. A year and half later we purchased the home in which we now live. As time marched on, the more I thought about it, the better “retirement” began to sound. While I truly loved my career, the closer we got to my wife’s retirement-date, and the more I thought about my time being my own, the greater became my inclination to also retire. Well, we both retired last August.

We became frogs last September and have not had one moment of regret or of second thoughts since, but then I had the advantage of being able to process, for 3 years, what my life would be like without my career. Even though I really did quit cold turkey, I had those 3 years to consider and evaluate my “new life” and while I loved my career, I love even more that my life now belongs to me. I was blessed with a fulfilling 41-year career but am even more blessed now that I have my new TV-life.

That is a long way of suggesting that you dream of, fantasize about and imagine what your new life will be like, but perhaps, of greatest importance, “process” the change. I am still developing and creating my new TV-life here and I find the process to be exciting and stimulating. My life now is better than I ever imagined that it would or could be. (And BTW, if you’ve been working for 12 hours, and you wrote this at noon, then you’ve been working since midnight. It’s time to retire).  And the very best of luck to you!!
Old 02-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

I'm retired. I'm married and I have two daughters still in college. You think I don't have a boss? :-)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Platinum member

it's so nice not having to hear what new work procedures are being adopted by management without any input from the staff who actually have to do the work. wonderful not to have to attend meaningless meetings.
it's the feeling I used to have on Sundays when we had a holiday on Monday so I could stay up reading as long as I wanted. Now I have that every day.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
it's so nice not having to hear what new work procedures are being adopted by management without any input from the staff who actually have to do the work. wonderful not to have to attend meaningless meetings.
Yes and I certainly don't miss all the rumors about pending lay offs or if the company is moving.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Even after 8 years, I miss my work life and wish I never retired
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.