Retirement: Best Thing about not having a Boss

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM

Not everyone adjusts well to retirement, especially if you get your self worth from your career. I just know I can be equally as successful at learning to line dance, and I've always wanted to learn to quilt. And my golf game needs work.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:04 PM

What do you miss, rubicon?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Sage

The best part of retirement and no boss is FREEDOM to do what you want when you want or even if you don't want. Your life is once again yours to claim! Took me a few time in and out of retirement to figure this out, but at 65 I am content and no longer have the need to work to be who I really am.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruannB View Post
I'm a professor and former journalist. Deadlines are my life. I can't wait until I set my own schedule--and bathroom breaks. We plan to buy in TV this summer and I will retire at the end of the 2015-16 school year...fingers crossed. I'm not sure I can quit cold turkey, however. I've been working at my home desk today for about 12 hours. How do you just stop that kind of living cold?
I worked in the auto industry for 30 years....most of the last 10 years I was scheduled 13 days on 1 day off (NY state labor law) I loved my job (skilled trade machine repair) I was worried what i would do with my time when I retired ....I got out at 49 and moved here when just turning 50....that was 13 years ago....it was the best decision I ever made....there's so many things you can choose to do... or not do anything at all, it's your choice
Old 02-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Gold member

Wow...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Do my own taxes.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	47389  
Old 02-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkmaine View Post
What do you miss, rubicon?
Hi pbkmaine: I miss achieving. I miss my employees. I miss being the one who has the answers to their problems. I miss my speaking assignments at company functions. I miss interviewing people. I miss the business climate
I miss evaluating people and programs. I miss planning and conducting office meetings. I miss planning and conducting my educational meetings.
I miss traveling and visiting satellite offices I miss my customers....and so much more

My plan was to work until my company threw me out but I retired because of health and the irony is that time heals all things and I am healthier now than when I retired. I learned and love to work and I never learned or love to play because the latter always seemed a waste of my life.

Good advice is to do what you love and I loved what I did and had to let it go
Old 02-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Sage

I was a tenured teacher and I treated my bosses with respect.
Having said that, I would also observe how non-tenured teachers felt required to laugh at the VP's and Principals jokes while the rest of us smiled and thought of a specific insult you wouldn't say in class or church.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:13 PM
Sage

I would guess that many people tend to maintain the same busy schedules in retirement that they had when they were working. Type A personalities don't stop being type A just because they're retired.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:55 PM

I feel like I have the best of both worlds, because I work on a very limited basis for my former employer, mostly from right here in The Villages. I retired December 31, but then started work on a small project January 19. There's another project in the offing, a potential client in central Florida, and the opportunity to "pinch hit" when my former colleagues are double booked. My company is estimating 200 hours this year, but it may end up being 400 hours or 20%. That sounds about right. Consulting is 24/7/365, and everything seems to be an emergency. I am now insulated from most of the emergencies, and I sleep better for it.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage

You mean when you retire you're not supposed to have a boss?? Would somebody tell my wife that!?! [emoji8]
Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Gold member

I miss absolutely nothing about my former job. Just glad I escaped relatively intact.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 PM

The only thing I miss about not working is Friday night. I know now every night is

Friday night, but there was something special about the end of the work week. It

was time to kick back and relax. Friday night we would rent a movie and watch having

pizza and beer.

I would not go back to work just to have Friday nights like that again. It's

nice being retired and not have the work pressure.https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo.../golf-cart.gif
Old 02-04-2015, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Krik View Post
The only thing I miss about not working is Friday night. I know now every night is

Friday night, but there was something special about the end of the work week. It

was time to kick back and relax. Friday night we would rent a movie and watch having

pizza and beer.

I would not go back to work just to have Friday nights like that again. It's

nice being retired and not have the work pressure.https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo.../golf-cart.gif
Friday afternoons were the best. If you saw a teacher in the hallway you would ask them if they were going home after work. If they said they were going to the dentist or the post office that meant they would meet you at the bar.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

what I like most is being able to come off blood pressure medication after retiring. started needing it the last few years I worked. was one of the reasons I left when I did.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Being a nurse casemanager was. Very stressfull and the day never ended on time.The best thing about retirement is the lack of stress ,doing things on my timetable. I am busy everyday.
Love all I do and I do not miss my old life at all
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.