Return to the Moon by 2024

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Over the years I've heard the same story about how the space program has brought about so many advances. Seems like all those sources that I can remember making those claims were either people in NASA or a politician whose district benefited from the space program. We already have so much national debt we don't need to be spending money we don't have.
Now that's funny. NASA's budget is .049% of the 4.4 trillion gdp for 2019. Ignorance is no excuse for data but sometimes we try to make cases based on it. Weather forecasting, GPS, bio-medical research are all benefits that we enjoy and use. Commercial corporations (the ones that hire people and sell us stuff) have been created for the industry. Opportunities for computer science and engineering students (our kids and grandkids) grow every day as new challenges are discovered. If you want to go after the spending of money we don't have, go after the other 99.51%

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Over the years I've heard the same story about how the space program has brought about so many advances. Seems like all those sources that I can remember making those claims were either people in NASA or a politician whose district benefited from the space program...
You can’t be serious.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,421 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Now that's funny. NASA's budget is .049% of the 4.4 trillion gdp for 2019. Ignorance is no excuse for data but sometimes we try to make cases based on it. Weather forecasting, GPS, bio-medical research are all benefits that we enjoy and use. Commercial corporations (the ones that hire people and sell us stuff) have been created for the industry. Opportunities for computer science and engineering students (our kids and grandkids) grow every day as new challenges are discovered. If you want to go after the spending of money we don't have, go after the other 99.51%
Just to be accurate, I think your budget number for NASA is about 10 times too low. The budget is around $20 billion, which is about 0.49 percent of total spending of $4.4 trillion. And, the GPD is over $20 trillion, which is about equal to the total national debt.. Our country's debt to GDP ratio is one of the highest in the world, but we are doing better than Greece. My point about sending a man to the moon is that, it is touted as a great benefit for the world, so why don't we expect the rest of the world to share in the cost?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My point about sending a man to the moon is that, it is touted as a great benefit for the world, so why don't we expect the rest of the world to share in the cost?
Maybe part of the role of leadership is bearing the burden. Either you believe in America as the superpower of this planet or you abrogate that position. No one from outside countries paid the USSR for their very successful and ongoing manned space program. Today India launched a satellite to the southern pole of the moon, on their own dime. The European Union, the Chinese, the Japanese all have self financed space programs. I don't recall any of them asking for the rest of the world to pay for their efforts.

From those to whom much is given, much is expected. This is as old as the Bible. It informed the enlightenment as noblesse oblige. And my understanding of the general thrust of American history is that we believe we are a uniquely blessed nation. But some might think we better make sure Burkina Faso is paying its percentage.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just to be accurate, I think your budget number for NASA is about 10 times too low. The budget is around $20 billion, which is about 0.49 percent of total spending of $4.4 trillion. And, the GPD is over $20 trillion, which is about equal to the total national debt.. Our country's debt to GDP ratio is one of the highest in the world, but we are doing better than Greece. My point about sending a man to the moon is that, it is touted as a great benefit for the world, so why don't we expect the rest of the world to share in the cost?
You're correct..not sure how the 0 got in there. We can expect the rest of the world to chip in but they won't.....only recently did they start stepping up to the UN costs but nowhere near where they should be. China and Russia will continue to do their own things and we will continue to share and offer our learnings with everyone else. I have hope that helps some of the Countries that need the help.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-24-2019, 12:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
We need to get to Mars and further. I hope the future of mankind eventually extends to settlements on other planets in other star systems. I know that is a long way off but find it nice to dream.
I think we could get to Mars in my lifetime...say within 20 years. You must be extremely courageous to be an astronaut...just visit the Space Mirror Memorial at the Kennedy Space Center. This memorial contains the names of 24 astronauts who died in service to their country. Michael Collins, the command module pilot for Apollo 11, reportedly thought the chances of a successful return to Earth were 50 - 50.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 07-24-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Maybe part of the role of leadership is bearing the burden. Either you believe in America as the superpower of this planet or you abrogate that position. No one from outside countries paid the USSR for their very successful and ongoing manned space program. Today India launched a satellite to the southern pole of the moon, on their own dime. The European Union, the Chinese, the Japanese all have self financed space programs. I don't recall any of them asking for the rest of the world to pay for their efforts.

From those to whom much is given, much is expected. This is as old as the Bible. It informed the enlightenment as noblesse oblige. And my understanding of the general thrust of American history is that we believe we are a uniquely blessed nation. But some might think we better make sure Burkina Faso is paying its percentage.
Looking up abrogate and Burkina Faso.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Too much money for too little return. How would we fell if (or more likely when) they all die?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Too much money for too little return. How would we fell if (or more likely when) they all die?
You could say that about every single US Military incursion after WW 2. Don't see anyone clamoring to shut down the Army, Navy, AF, Marines, and Coast Guard. Again, we are the world's superpower. With that role comes responsibility. Dad pays for dinner even if the kids are grown up and have their own income.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I think we could get to Mars in my lifetime...say within 20 years. You must be extremely courageous to be an astronaut...just visit the Space Mirror Memorial at the Kennedy Space Center. This memorial contains the names of 24 astronauts who died in service to their country. Michael Collins, the command module pilot for Apollo 11, reportedly thought the chances of a successful return to Earth were 50 - 50.
That would be cool but it seems we have not work out the bugs yet for long term space travel with people involved.

The Human Body in Space | NASA
Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,421 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
You could say that about every single US Military incursion after WW 2. Don't see anyone clamoring to shut down the Army, Navy, AF, Marines, and Coast Guard. Again, we are the world's superpower. With that role comes responsibility. Dad pays for dinner even if the kids are grown up and have their own income.
Apples and oranges. We need the military to protect us from a possible attack. Spending billions on space travel doesn't protect us against anything.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-24-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24

WHY????
Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
WHY????

To study the alien space station on the other side of the moon. LOL
Closed Thread

Tags
moon, return, visiting, trip, crew

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.