Return to the Moon by 2024

Return to the Moon by 2024

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.

We need to get to Mars and further. I hope the future of mankind eventually extends to settlements on other planets in other star systems. I know that is a long way off but find it nice to dream.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Old 07-21-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
We need to get to Mars and further. I hope the future of mankind eventually extends to settlements on other planets in other star systems. I know that is a long way off but find it nice to dream.

My extended settlement will be heaven.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2019, 09:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Going to the moon is VERY EXPENSIVE.

However also look at all the technology break throughs, the medical advances and the many other major changes brought about by our last trip there. You would not have the the current laptop technology or the advances in food preservation or the things like cyclotron radiation (which has saved thousands of children with brain cancer) or so many other advances in science that are common today. We probably gained 25 years of technology improvements by the last effort. And I am sure we would make many more by doing it again.

So personally I believe the expense is well worth it.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:57 PM
TOTV Moderator

The topic of this thread is sending astronauts back to the moon. Many off topic posts diverting the thread have been deleted. If you wish to start a thread on global warming or reducing plastic waste pleas feel free to do so. Further off topic posts will be deleted.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:36 PM

Over the years I've heard the same story about how the space program has brought about so many advances. Seems like all those sources that I can remember making those claims were either people in NASA or a politician whose district benefited from the space program. We already have so much national debt we don't need to be spending money we don't have.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Over the years I've heard the same story about how the space program has brought about so many advances. Seems like all those sources that I can remember making those claims were either people in NASA or a politician whose district benefited from the space program. We already have so much national debt we don't need to be spending money we don't have.
Now that's funny. NASA's budget is .049% of the 4.4 trillion gdp for 2019. Ignorance is no excuse for data but sometimes we try to make cases based on it. Weather forecasting, GPS, bio-medical research are all benefits that we enjoy and use. Commercial corporations (the ones that hire people and sell us stuff) have been created for the industry. Opportunities for computer science and engineering students (our kids and grandkids) grow every day as new challenges are discovered. If you want to go after the spending of money we don't have, go after the other 99.51%

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-22-2019, 12:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Over the years I've heard the same story about how the space program has brought about so many advances. Seems like all those sources that I can remember making those claims were either people in NASA or a politician whose district benefited from the space program...
You can’t be serious.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Now that's funny. NASA's budget is .049% of the 4.4 trillion gdp for 2019. Ignorance is no excuse for data but sometimes we try to make cases based on it. Weather forecasting, GPS, bio-medical research are all benefits that we enjoy and use. Commercial corporations (the ones that hire people and sell us stuff) have been created for the industry. Opportunities for computer science and engineering students (our kids and grandkids) grow every day as new challenges are discovered. If you want to go after the spending of money we don't have, go after the other 99.51%
Just to be accurate, I think your budget number for NASA is about 10 times too low. The budget is around $20 billion, which is about 0.49 percent of total spending of $4.4 trillion. And, the GPD is over $20 trillion, which is about equal to the total national debt.. Our country's debt to GDP ratio is one of the highest in the world, but we are doing better than Greece. My point about sending a man to the moon is that, it is touted as a great benefit for the world, so why don't we expect the rest of the world to share in the cost?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My point about sending a man to the moon is that, it is touted as a great benefit for the world, so why don't we expect the rest of the world to share in the cost?
Maybe part of the role of leadership is bearing the burden. Either you believe in America as the superpower of this planet or you abrogate that position. No one from outside countries paid the USSR for their very successful and ongoing manned space program. Today India launched a satellite to the southern pole of the moon, on their own dime. The European Union, the Chinese, the Japanese all have self financed space programs. I don't recall any of them asking for the rest of the world to pay for their efforts.

From those to whom much is given, much is expected. This is as old as the Bible. It informed the enlightenment as noblesse oblige. And my understanding of the general thrust of American history is that we believe we are a uniquely blessed nation. But some might think we better make sure Burkina Faso is paying its percentage.
I was a stranger and you WELCOMED ME : Matt 25:35, real Christianity
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just to be accurate, I think your budget number for NASA is about 10 times too low. The budget is around $20 billion, which is about 0.49 percent of total spending of $4.4 trillion. And, the GPD is over $20 trillion, which is about equal to the total national debt.. Our country's debt to GDP ratio is one of the highest in the world, but we are doing better than Greece. My point about sending a man to the moon is that, it is touted as a great benefit for the world, so why don't we expect the rest of the world to share in the cost?
You're correct..not sure how the 0 got in there. We can expect the rest of the world to chip in but they won't.....only recently did they start stepping up to the UN costs but nowhere near where they should be. China and Russia will continue to do their own things and we will continue to share and offer our learnings with everyone else. I have hope that helps some of the Countries that need the help.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
moon, return, visiting, trip, crew