Rhode Island police stopping cars with New York plates

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
“While the Governor may have the power to suspend some state laws and regulations to address this medical emergency, she cannot suspend the Constitution,” Rhode Island ACLU executive director Steven Brown said in a statement. “Under the Fourth Amendment, having a New York state license plate simply does not, and cannot, constitute ‘probable cause’ to allow police to stop a car and interrogate the driver, no matter how laudable the goal of the stop may be.”

I agree. What's next.......door to door knocks, break-ins and searches? Sorry but this does not sit well with me and is a very slippery slope. Where does, will, it stop?

Steve
When does it stop? When you’re dead?

Ok, I’m being a bit facisius. But I do believe that one’s civil liberties end where it infringes on another person’s. Old people have a right to stay alive.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-28-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

The OP just doesn't pass the smell test.. House to house searches would be a blatant violation of the 4th amendment. To those that applaud this move, you don't just shred the constitution because a virus is circulating, it is an EXTREMELY slippery slope. Besides, there is nothing about this on the 24/7 TV news nor the internet
Old 03-28-2020, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Cute but then we’d all say “y’all”.
Yes, she's from Mississippi but I'm from New Joisey
Old 03-28-2020, 03:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
Yes, she's from Mississippi but I'm from New Joisey
And I’m New Yawk.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The OP just doesn't pass the smell test.. House to house searches would be a blatant violation of the 4th amendment. To those that applaud this move, you don't just shred the constitution because a virus is circulating, it is an EXTREMELY slippery slope. Besides, there is nothing about this on the 24/7 TV news nor the internet
Actually I saw it on the news last night or this morning. I applaud her decision. She is trying to protect the citizens of her state.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Actually I saw it on the news last night or this morning. I applaud her decision. She is trying to protect the citizens of her state.
And if Trump tries to "protect" the citizens of the US by cancelling elections? Or a future president cancels freedom of the press? The constitution is not optional, to be ignored if inconvenient
Old 03-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
And if Trump tries to "protect" the citizens of the US by cancelling elections? Or a future president cancels freedom of the press? The constitution is not optional, to be ignored if inconvenient
If things are so horrifically bad by October, and to such an extent the elections have to be postponed, it's a pretty safe bet most people would be demanding that be done.

I don't think we'll get to that point however.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:52 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Florida is now the fourth most-hit state in the United States, after New York, New Jersey, and California, according to data by health officials and Johns Hopkins University.

Florida sees sharp spike in coronavirus infections as fears grow it could be another hotspot | Fox News
Old 03-28-2020, 03:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Do you not get this is a war? Keeping an infected person away from your state makes total sense. I hate all the New Yorkers that brought this crap to Florida so we’re now a potential hot spot. And yes, I’m a native New Yorker. Desantis should have done it too. Texas also closed their state to keep sickies from Louisiana out. And if election is postponed, so be it. How do you not get this ?
Old 03-28-2020, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Do you not get this is a war? Keeping an infected person away from your state makes total sense. I hate all the New Yorkers that brought this crap to Florida so we’re now a potential hot spot. And yes, I’m a native New Yorker. Desantis should have done it too. Texas also closed their state to keep sickies from Louisiana out. And if election is postponed, so be it. How do you not get this ?
Yeah, I get it. And the concept that people would be willing to shred the constitution is more frightening than the virus
Old 03-28-2020, 04:40 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I get it. And the concept that people would be willing to shred the constitution is more frightening than the virus
I vote by mail.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
OK.. So the president can't suspend an election but the governor of Rhode Island can suspend the 4th amendment? In what universe? Doesn't really matter, a judge will shoot it down in a heartbeat
Under bona fide national emergencies, executive power tends to supersede judicial review. The doctrine of martial law pertains.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
OK.. So the president can't suspend an election but the governor of Rhode Island can suspend the 4th amendment? In what universe? Doesn't really matter, a judge will shoot it down in a heartbeat
No one is going to refute this very wise action except the loony ACLU.

The 4th amendment guards against search and seizure in YOUR HOME. Really has nothing with an officer telling you to turn your ass around and go back where you belong.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
No one is going to refute this very wise action except the loony ACLU.

The 4th amendment guards against search and seizure in YOUR HOME. Really has nothing with an officer telling you to turn your ass around and go back where you belong.
This isn't about the ACLU. It's about Martial Law of which you seem to know nothing about. With Martial Law, there is no law and "they" will and can come into your house without your permission or court order. Read up on it. It has never been invoked in it's fullest, and I hope to God it never will. That will be the end of America and one hell of a bloodbath. Scary **** and a very slippery slope.

Constitutional Topic: Martial Law - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 03-28-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

USA TODAY

Florida coronavirus cases pass 4000: state border checkpoints begin, vacation rentals halted

Florida cases pass 4,000; governor advises, 'Don't come here'

Tags
york, island, it’s, rhode, plates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.