Right to repair - maybe?

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Right to repair - maybe?

I would like your thoughts around "Right to Repair".

My thought is, I believe if I buy something I have a right to repair it anyway I want to, me or a friend or hiring a third party. After all, it is mine.

I also believe a company should have the right to cancel my warranty if I repair my "thing" (whatever it is). I see no reason companies should be burned with fixing things that go wrong because someone opened a device and didn't know what they were doing.

This applies to Cell Phones, Appliances, Automobiles, etc. If I buy it is mine. If I want to keep the warranty in effect, I have to let the company repair it.

A side question is - is the company obligated to provide diagnostic data to customers. This includes those "codes" the car's computers spew when something is wrong. If you don't know the code, it is hard to fix it.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-14-2021, 02:18 PM

Fortunately or unfortunately cars have been computerized. Auto zone type stores have diagnosis for the error codes or you can buy your own. The new mechanic is now a computer geek and worth the $100,000 they now can command today. You no longer own just a mechanical car but also a computerized car. In my opinion a change for the better. Ethanol fuel is obsolete for everyone but the grain farmer.

Except for the fact that they all look alike, new cars are wonderful. Dependable fuel efficient and a pleasure to drive.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:20 PM

That being said,

All appliances should immediately be thrown in the trash and you should buy new.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,697 Times in 5,235 Posts

A company does not have the right to cancel a warranty. But, they do have the right to refuse to repair a defect that they can prove was caused by improper use of the product or improper repair by the owner.

A company does have the right to refuse to provide information or diagnostic access codes. It's their information to use as they want. You don't have to buy the product.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,247 Posts

As a long time 'repair it myself' person I am looking forward to some form of "right to repair". I get very annoyed with today's just throw it away and buy new attitude. I have personally saved well over $10k, probably double that over the years by being able to repair various devices.
Here is a specific reason I do not like the way manufacturers LOCK their equipment you buy. I had a very nice Pioneer surround system (top end at the time), used it for 2 -3 years, then one day it would no turn on. Spent a lot of time investigating on the internet. KNOWN problem! Tried all of the reset, factory reset, etc., to no avail. Took it apart to find a defective CUSTOM integrated circuit that you cannot buy a replacement............ My $500 surround sound system went in the trash, and Pioneer lost a customer.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

My thought is, I believe if I buy something I have a right to repair it anyway I want to, me or a friend or hiring a third party. After all, it is mine.

I also believe a company should have the right to cancel my warranty if I repair my "thing" (whatever it is). I see no reason companies should be burned with fixing things that go wrong because someone opened a device and didn't know what they were doing.

This applies to Cell Phones, Appliances, Automobiles, etc. If I buy it is mine. If I want to keep the warranty in effect, I have to let the company repair it.

A side question is - is the company obligated to provide diagnostic data to customers. This includes those "codes" the car's computers spew when something is wrong. If you don't know the code, it is hard to fix it.

Your thoughts?
I've never even considered that I may not have a right to repair something I own. I do not expect a company to honor their warranty if I tamper with their products however. I've altered, fixed, re-engineered and/or repaired almost every piece of mechanical equipment I've owned for decades. A few exceptions are the specific ones you mention, interestingly. (For the most part anyway.) This has worked to my personal advantage probably 95% of the time, if not more, and saved me big money and even more frustration.

I don't know that a company would be 'obliged' to give you diagnostic info, but they may sell it or it may even be available elsewhere.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 AM
Sage

I consider Apple to be the king of proprietary products. I have never purchased an Apple product and never will. Special cables and adapters, sealed batteries, no removable SD cards, proprietary music file formats, etc. I remember when a company designed a portable video viewer that would allow the user to plug in an Apple IPod and watch videos on a larger screen using the IPod's video output feature. Apple immediately redesigned the IPod to disable the video output, thus rendering the third party product unusable.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Sealed battery? Who cares. I can go to Bestbuy or Apple and have the battery replaced for $49 to $69. While the effort varies from iPhone to iPhone, replacing the battery yourself may not be very difficult. On one of my iPhones it was actually trivial to do; 10 minute job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I consider Apple to be the king of proprietary products. I have never purchased an Apple product and never will. Special cables and adapters, sealed batteries, no removable SD cards, proprietary music file formats, etc. I remember when a company designed a portable video viewer that would allow the user to plug in an Apple IPod and watch videos on a larger screen using the IPod's video output feature. Apple immediately redesigned the IPod to disable the video output, thus rendering the third party product unusable.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I consider Apple to be the king of proprietary products.
Yes, they are, and it is intentional and not a secret. It is in fact part of their product design and marketing philosophy, and LOT of people don't like it.

Apparently, a lot of people do like it too. (They are valued at about $2 TRILLION)

I guess I look at it as it's their product, they can do what they want, and I can buy it or not buy it. I thought that was called capitalism.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Apple just screwed the pooch with me on a trade-in issue. They ended up getting it corrected and threw in a set of Air Pod Pros. So one goof up after many years of flawless service. I have never been disappointed before.

You have your preference and I understand but you don't know what you're missing. Apple is the best. And you can understand them when they talk to you.

iPod? They make a lot more than iPods.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Apple just screwed the pooch with me on a trade-in issue. They ended up getting it corrected and threw in a set of Air Pod Pros. So one goof up after many years of flawless service. I have never been disappointed before.

You have your preference and I understand but you don't know what you're missing. Apple is the best. And you can understand them when they talk to you.

iPod? They make a lot more than iPods.
I have been an Apple developer since 1984. I never cared for the Apple II, but the moment I saw a Lisa I fell in love with it, sadly it was a $10K personal computer and I couldn't afford it, then in 1984 they released the Mac and I was all in.

They have made a lot of decisions over the years I did agree with, and have kind of lost sight of the "Computer for the rest of us" idea in some ways. But, they provide an alternative for people that want a toaster and not a bunch of parts - some assembly required.

Lots of fun metaphors over the years, one is my favorite: (Note: I am also a Linux Developer - LOL)

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are told you don’t need to know, don’t want to know, and would you please return to your seat and watch the movie.

Unix Airlines

Each passenger brings a piece of the airplane and a box of tools to the airport. They gather on the tarmac, arguing constantly about what kind of plane they want to build and how to put it together. Eventually, they build several different aircraft but give them all the same name. Some passengers actually reach their destinations. All passengers believe they got there.

Linux Airlines

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench, and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, “You had to do what with the seat?”
Old 07-15-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, they are, and it is intentional and not a secret. It is in fact part of their product design and marketing philosophy, and LOT of people don't like it.

Apparently, a lot of people do like it too. (They are valued at about $2 TRILLION)

I guess I look at it as it's their product, they can do what they want, and I can buy it or not buy it. I thought that was called capitalism.
I agree that it is capitalism. But, would it be so difficult for Apple to make IPhones compatible with the WMA (Windows Media Audio) music file format? I have 13,000 WMA music files that I cannot share with IPhone users. It seems very petty of Apple.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Your thoughts?
Let common sent prevail if it’s a vehicle under warranty just take it to an authorized repair facility
OBD diagnostic readers are available thru Amazon or Auto Parts store starting @ $25. Then you will need to interpret diagnosis purchase the part and figure out where it goes and probably return to TOTV and ask for help
Old 07-15-2021, 09:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I agree that it is capitalism. But, would it be so difficult for Apple to make IPhones compatible with the WMA (Windows Media Audio) music file format? I have 13,000 WMA music files that I cannot share with IPhone users. It seems very petty of Apple.
I understand, and no it would be very easy to do that. But they don't.

However, there are numerous apps that will allow iPhones to load and play WMA files.

I guess I could reverse it and say, would it be so difficult for Microsoft to provide for android users to be able to send and receive using Messages protocol (end to end encrypted text messaging for Apple users.) Apple can send and receive SMS texts, but Andriod can't send Apple Message protocol.

It is what it is. Standardization is a wonderful thing, but tech companies while claiming they support it, seem to always have difficulty with the idea.

I do see that Apple is opening up Facetime (Apple proprietary thing like Zoom) to Windows users. That is a BIG deal. Face time is so much better than Zoom.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Just convert email files to mp3
At lower bit rates, the file sizes of WMA and MP3 are similar. For example, at 64 Kbit/s, a five minute audio file saved in the WMA format is 2.6MB, while the same file saved as an MP3 is 2.4MB. At higher bitrates, however, the MP3 format results in smaller files.

First of all, you need to get a WMA file from CD to your computer. Insert CD and open it with Windows Media Player, click on Tools > Options and select Rip Music tab. Then specify the location you want to rip music to and choose MP3 as the Format. After that, hit OK to proceed.
Closed Thread

Tags
repair, company, thoughts, warranty, mine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.