The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwater View Post
Great article, thanks. Makes me feel much better about outdoor swimming pools and much worse about indoor activities. I’ll focus on outdoor activities and forgo indoor activities until better treatment drugs are found. Hope the powers to be around here recognize the higher risk with indoor activities too. So far, the powers to be in the villages have done a great job removing dangerous conditions and have not relied on good judgement by villagers. I feel Fortunate to be here!
Thanks and I agree.

The situation is what it is.

The best we can do is try to learn and understand to mitigate risks as much as possible for the lifestyle we choose to live.

Last edited by Altavia; 05-10-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:03 AM

Excellent Robbie! Must read for everybody. Really the first practical article I've read on managing risks.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

good information to have...helps to make some sense out of all that is happening....thanks for sharing

until there is a proven vaccine we're not interested in public indoor activities
Old 05-10-2020, 12:24 PM

1721 deaths from this virus in Florida.
Population: 12.48 Million
Stop the fear🇺🇲🌞
Old 05-10-2020, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I go to Publix two or three times a week. I see the same people who work there each time. If the indoors is such a virus haven, how is it that they are still there working and not dying from this pandemic. I think that as infectious as it is, it's really overblown.
Because we are required to take greater precautions. Regular hand-sanitizing, hand-washing, currently we're required to wear masks inside and out if we're on the clock. Our breakroom chairs have been spaced 5 feet apart (that's the best we can do and still have 3 people sitting down). We have shields between the customer and the cashier to prevent droplets from crossing in either direction.

Cart cleaners wear gloves and have their hands (with gloves) CONSTANTLY exposed to industrial strength surface sanitizer, so even if they have to touch their masks to adjust them, it's more likely that they're actually sanitizing their masks in the process rather than infecting them.

Most of us are taking more precautions at the workplace, than most of you do when you come to the supermarket or do anything else for that matter.

That's why most of us aren't sick.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
good information to have...helps to make some sense out of all that is happening....thanks for sharing

until there is a proven vaccine we're not interested in public indoor activities
I suspect places that smell clean and fresh are safer than those that do not. Perhaps a question to ask for indoor facities is how many air exchanges per hour are provided.

CDC has guidelines for air in medical facilities shows at least 6 times per hour so that may be a good place to start.

Air | Appendix | Environmental Guidelines | Guidelines Library | Infection Control | CDC
Old 05-11-2020, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
I see he has a PhD in biology but has no references in his post that refer to actual covid-19 data. He refers to one that is about influenza. Which CDC or Infectious Disease experts have said that the correlation he is making is sound. Even he says these are his “musings.” While he may make some interesting points to ponder, I do not think this is a definitive source regarding covid-19 without the aforementioned experts backing it up.
The author agrees.

About the Author - Professor Erin Bromage

"I am not holding myself out as an expert on this virus or epidemiology and I rely on the amazing scientists publishing and discussing their work for the material and data content of my posts. These scientists are the true rock-stars of the response to COVID-19. I just enjoy being able to translate their data and findings into prose that non-scientist lay people can more readily understand as we navigate through this pandemic.
"
Old 05-12-2020, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Funny! Seems in villages the only way you catch the virus is playing pickleball or tennis 🎾.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Funny! Seems in villages the only way you catch the virus is playing pickleball or tennis 🎾.
Well, if you have an idea to mitigate the risk of a non-symptomatic person multiple times in a game contaminating a ball, the receiver(s) then touching the ball and then their face hence becoming infected, I'm all ears.

I'd love to start playing paddle sports but the risk of contact infection is real.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Addressing the opening sentence above........as measured and concluded by.........???
I was wondering what his source is too.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I go to Publix two or three times a week. I see the same people who work there each time. If the indoors is such a virus haven, how is it that they are still there working and not dying from this pandemic. I think that as infectious as it is, it's really overblown.
Most of the world data and experiences would contradict that. If it is overblown there would most likely be a lot of smart people changing the way we are reacting. Seems the smart people are in the other camp.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-12-2020, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Well, if you have an idea to mitigate the risk of a non-symptomatic person multiple times in a game contaminating a ball, the receiver(s) then touching the ball and then their face hence becoming infected, I'm all ears.

I'd love to start playing paddle sports but the risk of contact infection is real.

And where the proof
Old 05-12-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
And softball... 😟
Old 05-12-2020, 11:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
And where the proof
We can take a bag of pickleballs to a local COVID infected correction facility and then and then drop them off for you to test?
Old 05-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
We can take a bag of pickleballs to a local COVID infected correction facility and then and then drop them off for you to test?
They don't play pickleball.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, infection, viral, time, store

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.