Road Trip Planner

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Road Trip Planner

Anyone use any of the road trip planners available on the internet. We are planning a see the US trip on our way from Seattle to the Villages in December. Maybe earlier if our house sells fast. We know New England (I am from New Hampshire) and areas we have lived in but thought this would be good. We did a coastal of California then to Reno on to Kansas when we moved from Hawaii and enjoyed it. I want to see stuff along the way to break it up. (Besides stopping in Vegas and Biloxi to gamble of course). Any suggestions? Sites or apps that worked for you. Roads areas to avoid.

Thanks in advance to the always helpful all knowing TOTV people.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Veteran member

If you haven't been to Utah and Colorado, there are many National Parks there that are stunning. Of note, Arches NP in Utah, (local city Moab) is now at the top of my list of favorite NPs. Right there is also Canyonlands NP. Colorado NPs may be difficult in December. Here's hoping you sell sooner and can make the trip to Paradise sooner!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

Since you did California coast, if you want something different, go north to BC and see Canadian Rockies, BC and Alberta. Go down through Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park in Montana, then Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Colorado, Rocky Mountain National Park and down to Arizona for Grand Canyon, New Mexico, see the four corners. Many NPs there too and work your way East.

If you have AAA they should route it out for you on a TripTik.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post
Since you did California coast, if you want something different, go north to BC and see Canadian Rockies, BC and Alberta. Go down through Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park in Montana, then Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Colorado, Rocky Mountain National Park and down to Arizona for Grand Canyon, New Mexico, see the four corners. Many NPs there too and work your way East.

All good ideas, in the summer...The OP mentioned driving in December.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Arizona NP's would be good in winter maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian View Post

Also I almost forgot hubby loves to play a good golf course. If you have a favorite along the way.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Anyone use any of the road trip planners available on the internet. We are planning a see the US trip on our way from Seattle to the Villages in December. Maybe earlier if our house sells fast. We know New England (I am from New Hampshire) and areas we have lived in but thought this would be good. We did a coastal of California then to Reno on to Kansas when we moved from Hawaii and enjoyed it. I want to see stuff along the way to break it up. (Besides stopping in Vegas and Biloxi to gamble of course). Any suggestions? Sites or apps that worked for you. Roads areas to avoid.

We use Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor for both national and international travel. It's pretty accurate and up to date. If you know the path you want to take, you can look things that will be along the way and it has a format that you can plug in a radius. There's also Travel Guides, Hotel Reviews, Photos, Forums, Deals - VirtualTourist.com, not always quite as up to date but still has good info. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB in TV View Post
All good ideas, in the summer...The OP mentioned driving in December.
Ditto. Check historical weather data for areas you'll be traveling during that time of the year. Lots of really nice areas to see between the Northwest and FL but the time of year will make it pretty dicey to travel to many of them.

Bill
Old 05-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapple View Post
We use Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor for both national and international travel. It's pretty accurate and up to date. If you know the path you want to take, you can look things that will be along the way and it has a format that you can plug in a radius. There's also Travel Guides, Hotel Reviews, Photos, Forums, Deals - VirtualTourist.com, not always quite as up to date but still has good info. Good luck!
I will agree about using Trip Advisor, for hotels. People post hotel reviews on that site, and I have posted hotel reviews on Trip Advisor.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Gold member

Thanks I will try trip advisor. I was looking at AAA triptik and it seems to work for routes anybody use it?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We always use AAA TripTik, they do a good job.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post

I have also used AAA triptik with good luck.

The key being to have an idea of your route first.

Having spent 18 months living in this after I retired....

The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida

....and spending it mostly in the southwest playing golf, it's hard to list all of the places to see and play golf along the way.

At that time of the year, I would suggest heading down to Bakersfield from Seattle, going across the Tehachipi's to Barstow and getting on I-15 toward Vegas. Take the cutoff to Death Valley and go through Pahrump NV...just to say you have.

From Vegas, go south to Lake Havasu City (passing through more gambling in Laughlin) and check out the London Bridge and the beautiful Lake Havasu.

The Villages Florida

A side trip to Parker, AZ (Indian gambling available) and golfing at Emerald Canyon, is also a unique experience.
The Villages Florida

Go to I-10 from Parker through Quartzsite AZ. and see what a temporary city of 1/2 million (less than 3,000 in summer) RV'ing snow birds looks like!

They will have an ongoing and massive flea market also.

QUARTZSITE (click here)

If your husband wants to golf, there are of course a plethora of choices in Phoenix.

Personally though, I prefer Tucson.

Gotta go for now, but will finish my trip narrative later.

Last edited by OnTrack; 05-11-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Gold member

THanks ON Track -Serious RV----Great info any other thoughts greatly appreciated. Golf and gambling totally my hubbys style. I will drag him off to see waterfalls along the route when it's not too cold, There are many Hawaiians living in Henderson outside Vegas and we know former classmates living there so it is on the list. This is new for us never been on a road trip before except as I said when we first moved to the mainland and drove the Calif coast before reporting to work in Kansas .
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM

December thru march travel is great if you don't mind snow, blizzards and closed roads in the northern states. I would head south to southern Utah. Zion, Bryce and Arches national parks are spectacular. Zion is our favorite. Been there 3 times now and would love to go back. AAA online triptiks are easy to do and work with. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyw View Post
December thru march travel is great if you don't mind snow, blizzards and closed roads in the northern states. I would head south to southern Utah. Zion, Bryce and Arches national parks are spectacular. Zion is our favorite. Been there 3 times now and would love to go back. AAA online triptiks are easy to do and work with. Good luck!
Isn't December going to be very snowy roads in Utah. But great thought maybe I better hit that on a summer side trip out of Seattle planning to come back summers at least as son lives here.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Sage

Santa Fe, NM, Fredericksburg, TX, Natchitoches, LA, Natchez, MS, Eufaula, AL, Apalachicola, FL, Paducah, KY, Branson, MO, Dyersville, IA, Dodge City, KS.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.