Roundup and cancer

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 06:07 PM
Default Roundup and cancer

Roundup was just found to cause cancer. by a jury Glyphosate is the cause. So, I have 2 gallon jugs of Roundup in my garage? What do I do?

PS; No trolling here, it is true.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

It's been known round up is a carcinogen for a long time, now the courts finally recognize it. Instead of round up, we use agriculture strength vinegar (30% concentration) as a very effective weed killer. Just don't get it on bare skin or in your eyes.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Even oncologists cant determine what “causes” cancer. There are contributing factors to cancer but to rely on a jury in of all places California to determine that Roundup caused this man,s cancer is ridiculous.

Its nothing more than a jury rewarding this man money against the evil corporation.

If u dont want to use roundup, just properly dispose of it

Last edited by Gpsma; 08-10-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,501 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I think everyone should be careful using gylphosate.

Monsanto ‘Roundup' Cases Proceed in Calif. Courts | Bloomberg Law
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

A chemical can have different effects depending on the level of exposure. Roundup may not be carcinogenic at the low levels found in food we eat, for example, but the research points to it being carcinogenic at high doses, which would affect workers who handle it on a regular basis, particularly if inadequate protection was used.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Where does one buy agricultural strength vinegar near The Villages?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

My understanding was that as long as you don’t get it on your skin or inhale it, you should be ok.Is that wrong?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Where does one buy agricultural strength vinegar near The Villages?
The same place you can get just about anything, Amazon. Just google agriculture vinegar and go to the link on amazon. We bought a case of 4 gallons with 30% acid concentration and a lawn sprayer to apply it for about $100. Delivered to our door in a couple of days and enough to last a long time. Just be careful to wear protective clothing and eye protection when applying, especially if windy.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Platinum member

The enviros will eventually convince the feds and dept. of agr. To remove it with their scare tactics like they did with dursban, diazanon, lindane and chlordane. The vinegar folks will enjoy the price increases. What happens to the salt some add to help it top kill? But this is progress?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
My understanding was that as long as you don’t get it on your skin or inhale it, you should be ok.Is that wrong?
In my opinion, you are not wrong (assuming you don't drink it or allow pets to lap it up). My understanding is that Round Up breaks down once it hits the soil. It would be a larger concern if Round Up was found to be a persistent accumulative toxin, in which case you could have a "hot spot" on your lawn...but that is not the case here.

I would wear long pants, safety glasses and chemical resistant gloves using ANY insecticide, pesticide or fungicide. Check the wind direction before spraying and use with plenty of ventilation. If you are in any way uncomfortable then you should look for another product.

By the by, I would be more concerned with spraying a corrosive material like 30% vinegar (30% acidic is quite corrosive). Here is a link to the material safety data sheet for 10-30% vinegar. You will note that it is acutely toxic (and could be fatal) by inhalation.

Again, you need to be aware of the hazards and use any chemical per the manufacturer's recommendations. Here is a link to a material safety data sheet for Roundup. Note that you might want to do a Google search to determine if you have the latest copy (MSDS sheets are generally required to be updated with any changes)
Old 08-14-2018, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
The enviros will eventually convince the feds and dept. of agr. To remove it with their scare tactics like they did with dursban, diazanon, lindane and chlordane. The vinegar folks will enjoy the price increases. What happens to the salt some add to help it top kill? But this is progress?
I see you made a living selling nasty chemicals in your profile, so I understand where your comments are rooted, but absolutely don't agree with them. People that don't want to get cancer, or worse yet, have it re-occure, are not environs for not wanting to use nasty proven carcinogens. And yes, I hope round-up is banned and don't care what it does to the price of vinegar. No matter how much the price goes up, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost and anguish of treating cancer. And I will only add salt to the vinegar if it is an area that we never again want anything to grow. The Vinegar will kill growth, but unlike salt it will not permanently ruin the soil for any future vegetation. Tread lightly my friend.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I see you made a living selling nasty chemicals in your profile, so I understand where your comments are rooted, but absolutely don't agree with them. People that don't want to get cancer, or worse yet, have it re-occure, are not environs for not wanting to use nasty proven carcinogens. And yes, I hope round-up is banned and don't care what it does to the price of vinegar. No matter how much the price goes up, it would be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost and anguish of treating cancer. And I will only add salt to the vinegar if it is an area that we never again want anything to grow. The Vinegar will kill growth, but unlike salt it will not permanently ruin the soil for any future vegetation. Tread lightly my friend.
I fear you have entered into a long uphill battle. People don't even want to give up their plastic straws.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

Vinegar is a chemical. You may like that it is "natural", but it is a chemical. I highly doubt that guy got his Hodgkins cancer from using roundup because if he did there would be a lot more people with similar cancers that have used roundup under similar circumstances. People always want to blame somebody or something for the bad things that happen to them.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Just a farm perspective here....when we applied Round up to our 22 acre farm to kill off the weeds in preparation for planting each spring, it was applied by a boom sprayer (shoots about 40-50 feet) attached to the tractor....so a Round up fog settled over the fields....hence the farmer applying Round up has a air borne fog of the chemical surrounding their land until it settles.....very different than the tiny sprayer attached to my gallon jug of Round up in the garage.

Just as interesting....we could purchase "Round up ready seeds" that could be planted in the ground within 2 weeks of the spraying and would be able to grow even if sprayed with Round up....genetic engineering.....FDA approved....
Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 AM

" Living " causes cancer. Unless you choose to live in a plastic bubble with purified air being pumped you are exposed to carcinogens. They are in the water, soil, air and food. If you lived 40,000 years ago you would have been exposed to them as well. People mined, smelted, smoked food and burned.
Cancer then killed you a lot more quickly and horribly. Too much exposure to any chemical compound will probably heighten the odds you will eventually develop cancer of some sort. Some have a genetic disposition for it as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
roundup, cancer, garage, ps;, true

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.