Sad, sad, sad...

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Default Sad, sad, sad...

As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.

I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."

Huh?

It's amazing what is important to some young people. I love kids, but I'd like to see them appreciate their history. I believe that the smartest kids are as smart as kids have ever been. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not so sure.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the times. I excelled at math and engineering. Hated history and had no appreciation for it. I would have been more concerned about her getting my food order correct.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Why was the manager involved? You may of created bad employee in eyes of the management. All for what? So, she didn’t know at least she working And trying. I agree with retired guy more interested in my food at drive through than chitchat. As an older male you better be careful talking younger strangers in this day and age.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

It is sad so many are clueless about what happens in the world.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.

I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."

Huh?

It's amazing what is important to some young people. I love kids, but I'd like to see them appreciate their history. I believe that the smartest kids are as smart as kids have ever been. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not so sure.
We are not all born with the same ability to absorb information but we are all born valuable.

I taught for decades and wouldn't have asked a kid at McDonalds an academic question. Not because I think kids who work at McDonalds are dumb, it just seems inappropriate. Both our girls worked at McDonalds

I am sure you were just making conversation and enjoy young people. Please don't be disappointed, further conversation might have revealed she was very aware of other valuable and pertinent information, and maybe not. .
Old 12-19-2018, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

A Judge Smails, played by Ted Knight, once said, "Well, the world needs ditch diggers too."
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Quote:

Huh?

All you did was slow down the line. You're better off doing your surveys at the mall.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure it has anything to do with the times. I excelled at math and engineering. Hated history and had no appreciation for it. I would have been more concerned about her getting my food order correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Why was the manager involved? You may of created bad employee in eyes of the management. All for what? So, she didn’t know at least she working And trying. I agree with retired guy more interested in my food at drive through than chitchat. As an older male you better be careful talking younger strangers in this day and age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
All you did was slow down the line. You're better off doing your surveys at the mall.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
such a friendly crew...…………….
Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
A Judge Smails, played by Ted Knight, once said, "Well, the world needs ditch diggers too."
So true. I started my career in the employment agency business. I remember being enthused and telling my boss "I have a great candidate". He asked what makes her great and I said "college grad, top marks in school, bright, articulate, attractive - definitely someone with a future". He said "so set her up on some interviews". When I said I couldn't because the open jobs I had were beneath her level - he wisely said: "Well then she is not a great candidate -- the "great candidate" is the one for whom you have a job. Remember there are A jobs for A candidates, B jobs for B candidates and C jobs for C candidates." Your job is to make sure you make the right match. If you only have a C job, the A applicant is no longer great -- it will be the C candidate that will be your best.

A really wise boss, I learned so much from that man on so many levels. And I went on to earn a boatload of money in commissions.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
such a friendly crew...…………….

BS,
I was thinking the same about these responses... and some may wonder why postings are down or people may be 'shy' to share their thoughts....
Old 12-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Huh?

Hasty generalization. You are assuming her ignorance is due to her millenial status.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Default Forgive me but

Quote:

Huh?

What you are reporting is the FAILURE of our education system.

Our education system spends more per student than any other in the world yet, last time I looked we are about 23rd in terms of success.

As to the lady in Mcdonalds. As suggested by others-she was trying to get you out of there so she could handle the next customer WAITING in line.

Far as history. History as taught, as indoctrinated in school, is first of all boring and secondly POLITICALLY CORRECTED-far removed from reality.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:20 AM
fw102807

Quote:

Huh?

The sad thing is how inappropriate this was.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I give her Brownie points for caring enough to ask and answer. It shows a level of curiosity and openness to learning, plus good customer service. So, I’d put her above the curve rather than below. But I do question your motives in asking if you already knew the answer.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-19-2018, 12:05 PM

Good grief, the abuse a man gets for making a comment! Once a teacher, always a teacher. And having a quick conversation with a teen through a window about an innocent subject is not a "no-no" yet. She even learned something. Maybe she appreciated that someone actually took a minute to treat her like a person, not a hand-out-my-food-quick machine? Wow, the line was held up for all of a minute or so. People love to criticize. Now you can criticize me instead - because frankly my dear.....
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, young, flag, sad, flying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.