Sad, sad, sad...

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2018, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Good grief, the abuse a man gets for making a comment! Once a teacher, always a teacher. And having a quick conversation with a teen through a window about an innocent subject is not a "no-no" yet. She even learned something. Maybe she appreciated that someone actually took a minute to treat her like a person, not a hand-out-my-food-quick machine? Wow, the line was held up for all of a minute or so. People love to criticize. Now you can criticize me instead - because frankly my dear.....
Old 12-19-2018, 12:59 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to paminix

Quote:
Good grief, the abuse a man gets for making a comment! Once a teacher, always a teacher. And having a quick conversation with a teen through a window about an innocent subject is not a "no-no" yet. She even learned something. Maybe she appreciated that someone actually took a minute to treat her like a person, not a hand-out-my-food-quick machine? Wow, the line was held up for all of a minute or so. People love to criticize. Now you can criticize me instead - because frankly my dear.....
Old 12-19-2018, 01:08 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Would you feel the same way if some stranger walked into a class you were teaching and started to quiz you? The girl was trying to focus on her job.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
such a friendly crew...…………….
I wasn't trying to be unfriendly. I was just pointing out that that I hated and failed history 50 years ago. So, I don't think young people today are all that much different, and the girl's reaction is not a reflection of modern times.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 12-19-2018, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.

I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."

Huh?

It's amazing what is important to some young people. I love kids, but I'd like to see them appreciate their history. I believe that the smartest kids are as smart as kids have ever been. On the other end of the spectrum I'm not so sure.
It’s not just young people, I had a neighbor (in his 70’s) stop by today while I was washing the Traverse and he asked why my flag was at half staff. 🙄
Old 12-19-2018, 09:24 PM

aninjamom and bogieshooter, thanks.

Some of you other guys jump to conclusions, and some didn't seem to understand.

There was no line. I was the only car. The manager was never called. I was having friendly banter with her. Yes, I was a long time teacher and I love teaching and interacting. Kudos to her for working.

I promise you, she was not traumatized nor penalized in any way. AND, as I said, the brightest kids today are as bright as ever.

It was just commentary.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
All you did was slow down the line. You're better off doing your surveys at the mall.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Ditto. Not sure why the OP felt the need to "quiz" someone. Seems like a jerk move to me.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Kids

[QUOTE=Jerry C;1608896]As a retired teacher, sometimes I like to talk to kids, especially when I travel. Last week I went through the drive in at McDonalds. A young lady, around 20 was working the window. Directly in front of me at the edge of the parking lot was a flag, flying at half staff.

I asked the young lady "Why is the flag flying at half staff?" Of course I knew, but I was curious to see what she'd say. She said she didn't know why, and in fact she said she didn't know there was a flag. "I'll ask the manager, she said." I told her that it was for the deceased President Bush. She said, "Really? I didn't know."

Well ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It seems, you should have known to put that comment on her cell phone, if she does not see it on a screen, now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well, they do not think it is worth knowing. Wise up Mr. Senior
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, young, flag, sad, flying

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.