Is it safe for large groups to start up in rec centers?

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Well, given vaccines may be little more than 50% effective and less than 50% of people in the US polled say they will get the vaccine - things may not get may not get significantly lower risk than they are now. So may be time to move on at the risk level individuals are comfortable to take.
Is this data?? I have already lost 2 family members to this virus. It is not a joke or to be taken lightly. Please.

Vaccines MAY be almost 100% effective. And I will be among the group that is vaccinated as soon as available. Then I will be willing to resume large group events.
Until then... i will stay in my bunker
Old 10-06-2020, 06:47 AM

We would be lucky with a vaccine that had a 40% efficacy. So, thousands will die even with a vaccine. Get out and live, unless you are fat or sick. Then stay home.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:53 AM
Default The show must go on!

Yes, it’s safe.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have been wondering about this as well.

Thought of going to a zumba session this morning but have decided to wait a bit and see how everything goes

If everyone is wearing a mask and staying socially distant how risky is it really?
My mask have lousy bendable things over my nose. When I’m wearing a mask and breathe out (which I do regularly), often my glasses fog. That means I’m emitting my breath into the air. Some of the moisture is being picked up by my mask, and some of that breath is going through the mask, and I’m not shooting my breath forward, but some is going up and into the room, and some of that lingers in the air for several minutes if the particles are very fine. And then, maybe some of the air I breathe in is entering through the same gaps. (Some surgeons who wear glasses actually take their masks to their nose and cheeks with hypoallergenic paper tape, available in all operating rooms, of course.) If I am panting while exercising, I am blowing out and sucking in a MUCH greater volume. (Just as I would if I were shouting at someone during a debate.) a LOT more particles come out.

And then there are the people with ill-fitting masks or people who don’t cover their noses with their masks. Or dirty masks.

All told, you are safer socially distanced and wearing masks than if you weren’t. If you were outside, you would be much safer still.

As for me, I know rationally that my chance of catching something is low, but it still makes me very nervous. I’ll feel much more self-confident about my health after I’ve had a good vaccine. Early next year, I hope!
Old 10-06-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Amazon now has surgical grade three layer masks on sale 50 masks for about $13. They are light weight and easy to wear. We do not wear a mask while walking from the car to an establishment, but at the door we always put the mask on.

In our case it is not fear, it is commonsense. We do not gamble with our lives, life is too good and I want a lot more of it!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-06-2020, 08:37 AM

I see where Publix no longer requires a mask..too bad
Old 10-06-2020, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think full hazmats etc for participants should be a requirement ... CDC put out new information just now, Covid spreads MOST airborne which like cigarette smoke, stays in the air and recirculates inside, except unlike smoke it kills quickly.
Don’t be afraid of Covid, but be smart about it. Control it!
You left out an important fact, that it’s very rare for it to be spread this way. And in those rare cases it’s when the person is in an enclosed room in close quarters with little ventilation for extended periods of time. The “kills quickly” Is a bit dramatic don’t you think?
Old 10-06-2020, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

I am simply not ready to be in a large group. So no, I will not be going to my usual activities at the rec centers until I feel it is safe.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Many groups as large as 50 setting dates to resume activities.

I cannot imagine trading 7 months of sacrifice and "hunkering" down for getting back together with a social group.

Upwards to 50 people, with masks and 6 feet apart, huffing and puffing in a closed room for up to two hours.

I question the decision making. I understand it is to each his own, but personally, we remain conservative until a vaccine becomes available. We are at this point in time acclimated to an adjusted life style.

Other opinions welcomed.
Stay home - Joining groups is a personal decision, not one you are forced into. Let the rest of us live what remaining time we have as we choose.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:30 AM
Default Large groups in Rec Centers

I think you are wrong about the groups of 50. Every room will have a maximum number that can be in the room, and this number is determined by the size of room, spacing, and type of activity. No regular room in the Villages can accommodate 50 people under those restrictions, especially those with an active exercise program. Check with the Rec Center you will be attending if you have questions.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Thank you cloisters for keeping the large groups smaller. We are anxious to get back to enjoying the many activities the villages offer. You can say thin the herd all you want .. Hiding in your house will prove more hazardous to your well being than will be enjoying your senior moments..
Old 10-06-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
I think you are wrong about the groups of 50. Every room will have a maximum number that can be in the room, and this number is determined by the size of room, spacing, and type of activity. No regular room in the Villages can accommodate 50 people under those restrictions, especially those with an active exercise program. Check with the Rec Center you will be attending if you have questions.
Example:

The Villages Cheerleaders
Laurel Manor Rec center
50 participants!!!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We have been wondering about this as well.

Thought of going to a zumba session this morning but have decided to wait a bit and see how everything goes

If everyone is wearing a mask and staying socially distant how risky is it really?
Risky???? How much is your life (and others around you) worth to you?
Old 10-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12755 View Post
We would be lucky with a vaccine that had a 40% efficacy. So, thousands will die even with a vaccine. Get out and live, unless you are fat or sick. Then stay home.
Terrible advice.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Many groups as large as 50 setting dates to resume activities.

I cannot imagine trading 7 months of sacrifice and "hunkering" down for getting back together with a social group.

Upwards to 50 people, with masks and 6 feet apart, huffing and puffing in a closed room for up to two hours.

I question the decision making. I understand it is to each his own, but personally, we remain conservative until a vaccine becomes available. We are at this point in time acclimated to an adjusted life style.

Other opinions welcomed.
The snow birds are coming back, cannot have things shut down. This will be like gasoline on a fire sadly.
Closed Thread

Tags
groups, large, making, decision, understand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.