Is it safe for large groups to start up in rec centers?

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2020, 12:30 PM
Platinum member

I cannot wait for my 100 member class, "Learn to Kiss Like an Eskimo", to resume.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcharlesnelson@gmail View Post
I see where Publix no longer requires a mask..too bad
Really? Is the sign off the door?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Cool Covid is not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Many groups as large as 50 setting dates to resume activities.

I cannot imagine trading 7 months of sacrifice and "hunkering" down for getting back together with a social group.

Upwards to 50 people, with masks and 6 feet apart, huffing and puffing in a closed room for up to two hours.

I question the decision making. I understand it is to each his own, but personally, we remain conservative until a vaccine becomes available. We are at this point in time acclimated to an adjusted life style.

Other opinions welcomed.
I think the Villages has done a successful job up til now in controlling the spread of the virus. However, they are acting as if the virus is gone and we can go back to normal. If we do, many will be infected and many, since we are the most vunerable, will die.
Did I miss the announcement of a vaccine or reliable treatment for Covid. I think not.
I hope common sense prevails before it is too late.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
I think the Villages has done a successful job up til now in controlling the spread of the virus. However, they are acting as if the virus is gone and we can go back to normal. If we do, many will be infected and many, since we are the most vunerable, will die.
Did I miss the announcement of a vaccine or reliable treatment for Covid. I think not.
It has always been up to us as individuals how we protect our own health. We are fortunate we don't have to go to work.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcharlesnelson@gmail View Post
I see where Publix no longer requires a mask..too bad
For real? Now that is terribly disappointing and disturbing. Publix was one of the few places I'd leave my home for once a week to pick out produce and other groceries with relative safety precautions. Delivery options are inconvenient and unreliable.
There are many of us who are immuno/health compromised who are not willing to risk catching Covid as it could be a death sentence. I really do not want to get sick and I am not ready or willing to risk dying just to go out and have 'fun' around those who are too unconcerned or cavalier about doing their part to protect themselves and their fellow humans. I'm getting really tired of people's attitudes of "If you're scared, stay home." Like it's something we CHOOSE to do, when there is actually no other safe option.
I'm tired of medical/dental appointments being cancelled and not being able to get an appointment. I haven't been to a restaurant, rec center, square, hair salon, movie theater, party, on vacation, etc. since all this started. We keep getting invited to parties and keep turning them down, I even get pressured into hosting a get together when I have no intention of having a group of people in my house.
It is unfair of the anti-maskers to make fun of those of us who are trying to protect ourselves and each other. Studies have proven mathematically that wearing masks and taking other precaution measures are better than not doing anything at all. Until Florida and the rest of this country takes it seriously, this crap is not going to improve any time soon, and will probably get worse, at the very least well into next year. Maybe it could have been nipped in the bud early on, but that chance is long gone.
Frankly, I am more worried about people who lost their jobs and are struggling to put food on the table than I am about retired Boomers partying and drinking at the squares to get their live music fix. Good for them if they are healthy and risk tolerant. I just hope that if they do catch Covid they survive it and don't pass their viral germs to the rest of us. Whatever. It is what it is.
I'm just tired and stressed. Thanks for letting me vent.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 10-06-2020, 04:44 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Been dancing for weeks. Less numbers of people depending on the room size so not too crowded. I have been entertaining for weeks and have visited friends on a small basis. Very glad to see semblance of normal coming back. Finally!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:

I cannot imagine trading 7 months of sacrifice and "hunkering" down for getting back together with a social group.

Upwards to 50 people, with masks and 6 feet apart, huffing and puffing in a closed room for up to two hours.

I question the decision making. I understand it is to each his own, but personally, we remain conservative until a vaccine becomes available. We are at this point in time acclimated to an adjusted life style.

Other opinions welcomed.
The longer you stay away from people your immune system will actually weaken. When I started to work from home and wasn’t around people as much, I was catching more colds. And my doctor said because I am not around people a lot my immune system weakened. So the longer we stay inside, the weaker we will get. This is going away. Be out in the sun. Vitamin D is good I do medical billing for hospitals the “figures” we get from the labs are not accurate. If someone has a “false” positive they call it positive. And if people are positive they go back several times to get tested and EACH time it is positive it gets counted as new. People need to get out and people need to work. I was laid off, I do medical billing. When the hospitals closed only for Covid patients, we didn’t have enough For staff. We have to work to get this country strong again.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchristie View Post
I don't see that. They are restricting numbers and distances. Not going back to normal at all. Just another step toward it.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

in addition to when will clubs be able to meet in the Rec Centers

many AED groups in TV are waiting for CPR/AED training to resume....no word on that yet due to concerns about large group gatherings

my AED group (among many) is in dire need of training more responders due to folks traveling, and those declining to be an 'active' responder due to personal covid-19 concerns
Old 10-06-2020, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
I'm wondering how many of the volunteer instructors will be returning? My wife is friends with a dance teacher who said she won't be holding classes until January at the earliest.
My next-door neighbor was an instructor in a bone builders class, along with two other instructors. She says she won't go back until there is a vaccine.

I will stay away from crowds, even if they are wearing masks, until there is a proven vaccine that has not been pushed to be approved by the party in power.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I cannot wait for my 100 member class, "Learn to Kiss Like an Eskimo", to resume.
Bwahaha! Haven't had a dose of your wit in a while.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Sage

Bless you, Navy Vet. You won't get covid from me, I promise that.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:14 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:

Other opinions welcomed.
CDC is still strongly recommending masks, social distancing, and frequent hand washing. The science hasn’t change. If anything has changed it’s the distance from six feet to ten. We will pass on the groups inside the recreation centers, the groups at the Squares and wait a couple of weeks to see who is correct. Golf has become a question mark for us under the new conditions that are effective October 12. I am reading two persons per cart (don’t know if that will be enforced) and PVC removed from the holes. We will have a hard decision to make or perhaps modify our play. We can do that since we are no longer playing competitive and don’t carry a handicap. We can ride together as a couple and just take two putts per hole for a score. Yes, adapt, improvise and overcome and still have fun playing golf.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:

Other opinions welcomed.
No. But they will do it anyway.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:26 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Congrats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
Been dancing for weeks. Less numbers of people depending on the room size so not too crowded. I have been entertaining for weeks and have visited friends on a small basis. Very glad to see semblance of normal coming back. Finally!
BRAVO ! Live life as it is intended to be lived !! ENJOY
Closed Thread

Tags
groups, large, making, decision, understand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.