Safety alarm idea needed for an inventive minds out there

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 AM
Sage
Default Safety alarm idea needed for an inventive minds out there

POLICE SAY T.V. SHOW REMINDED MAN THAT 10 MONTH OLD CHILD WAS IN HOT CAR.....

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A child crying on the television show "Game of Thrones" jogged a foster parent's memory that he had left a 10-month-old girl inside a sweltering car while he and his partner smoked marijuana at their house, a police affidavit released Monday says.

Seth Jackson, 29, is charged with first-degree murder in the July 24 death in Wichita. No charges have been filed against his partner.

A terribly sad trend nowadays..........leaving helpless little ones in hot cars.

In the "olden days" the car seats were simple without all of the protective features of today's modern ones, plus autos were different.........we could see the infant/child.

Even those old baby beds were just plopped in the back seats.
Not the safest......but we knew they were there.

My husband has mentioned designing some type of alarm that would go off to warn the driver that they have not removed the baby/toddler/child from the car seat.

A great project for any inventive minds out there..........

Can you imagine in the sweltering heat & humidity of Florida???
It wouldn't take long to bake an innocent helpless child.

Even for an adult in a hot car......same horrific situation.

The closest I can even "imagine" is once when we were driving from Wyoming to Colorado..........new car. Lost our airconditioning around Cheyenne, WY......it felt like a hot blast furnace blowing into my face/chest area...........windows open. It was August. Very hot temps.

By the time we got to the Hilton Suites in Boulder, CO. I felt like I might have a heart attack..........husband checked in, asked the clerk where he could get the airconditioning fixed , etc. while I unpacked in a nice airconditioned suite.........

However, I always think of that "feeling" of oppressive HEAT whenever I read of one of these innocent babies left alone in a hot car for hours. Helpless, unable to get themselves out.

God bless them all........I hope these latest tragedies are a wakeup call for parents NOT to forget you have a child onboard.

P.S. Just as caring for our elderly parents is important......raising precious children from birth to adulthood takes great care, love, nurture & continued effort to protect them to the best of one's ability........a seat alarm of some type might help protect the little ones.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Secure attachment bond

This normal, healthy process is interrupted too soon by many returning to work. So sad. Many of us were so lucky to be able to stay with out babies and toddlers until time for school.

Bonding with Your Baby: Parenting Tips for Secure Attachment and Bonding
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This normal, healthy process is interrupted too soon by many returning to work. So sad. Many of us were so lucky to be able to stay with out babies and toddlers until time for school.

Bonding with Your Baby: Parenting Tips for Secure Attachment and Bonding
They don't forget their cell phone, I guess that is more important. They could easily set an alarm on the cell.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Here is a possible solution....I have seen devices that work with cells phones and provide an alarm if the sensor travels outside a given distance. As I recall these also allow tracking of the sensor, so parents, buy these, and USE them.

Just my thoughts.

I think I saw these for cats and dogs, to help locate animals that have strayed....
Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Sage

This idea is not in the realm of high-technology but it's affordable. It's not foolproof either but it's an idea:

Buy a portable timer at Walmart, the kind you would use in your kitchen. If you have an idea how long it will take to get where you're going, you set it for about 10 minutes less. When the timer goes off, you reset it again.

Or someone could redesign such a timer that would be smaller and could clip onto your belt. So if you walk away from the car and the timer goes off two or three minutes later, you can still get back to the car in time.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.