Sales Tax on Internet OK per Court

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2018, 05:45 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think it is about time. It's bound to help smaller businesses. Lack of sales tax levy has been a disadvantage to brick and mortar businesses, especially small ones. They can't compete with the giant online businesses price-wise. Why would you buy something from a small business if you could get it tax-free online, unless you were really committed to shopping locally?

I think this will have a small impact on us shoppers but a big advantage for local business.
Yes, yes, yes! And I hope more of those mom and pop businesses survive.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think it is about time. It's bound to help smaller businesses. Lack of sales tax levy has been a disadvantage to brick and mortar businesses, especially small ones. They can't compete with the giant online businesses price-wise. Why would you buy something from a small business if you could get it tax-free online, unless you were really committed to shopping locally?

I think this will have a small impact on us shoppers but a big advantage for local business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Yes, yes, yes! And I hope more of those mom and pop businesses survive.
Yep...my fingers are crossed.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:51 AM
Sage
Wink

Our family business in NY has 6 large retail stores it will help no doubt ramp up sales.

They also run a large website, collecting tax is simple there is software in place to take care of over 10,000 different taxing counties, not an issue.

The biggest pain is manually registering with each state.

We expect each state will have a min sales level where tax will be required.
SD already is at $100,000 in annual sales before tax is required.

As far as Amazon, we were a merchant for a while and know they refuse to collect tax in way for the merchant that supply them.
they tell you build it in your price. For those that may not know over half of all their sales are not their products they are sold by others.

The reason we dropped them was they pay very slow and control you like pawns.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

I don't think resales should be taxed. IOW second hand merchandise. It was already taxed when it was sold new, it shouldn't be taxed each time its sold. There are lots of resales on ebay for example.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Default Re; your point overseas shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
In most cases it only matters if something is shipped to your house, not where it comes from. If that is the case you are responsible to pay the sales tax if the place that you bought it from didn't collect the sales tax for your state.

In practice states rarely go after individuals to collect unpaid sales tax, they just never had the resources to do it.

Small business sometimes buy supplies and office equipment from out of state to avoid a sales tax but they often get caught and end up having to pay the tax plus a penalty.

When we had a small business we bought lots of out of state business equipment on the internet but always paid the local sales tax to the state directly. Our accountant told us quite a few of her clients had been caught trying to avoid sales tax this way and ended up with some hefty penalties... even though she had warned them.

Also, depending on what it is, overseas shipping and customs might negate any savings you might get by by avoiding sales taxes.
On EBAY for example you can buy items from CHINA and it is shipped for free. With all the banter about international trade wars, The Chinese government must be subsidizing the shipping cost. I just ordered TWO small tubes of GLUE for seventy nine cents. They shipped freight paid by the company. Truth, I had ordered the same thing previously also from CHINA and paid a bit more ninety-nine cents. It never arrived. An easy contact to EBAY and it was credited. IS IT WORTH THE TROUBLE? PROBABLY NOT BUT THE COST IS ABOUT 1/4 OF WHAT I WOULD PAY HERE AND I WOULD NEED TO DRIVE TO THE STORE TO GET IT..
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, what if i Buy something out of country? Which imo in most cases is cheaper buying directly form the horses mouth.
Then we’ll likely be paying the new tarrifs passed through to us in the price.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, state, collect, sellers, sales

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.