San Francisco bans reusable grocery bags

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2020, 12:32 PM
Sage
Default San Francisco bans reusable grocery bags

San Francisco has now banned reusable grocery bags and has brought back the formerly maligned plastic grocery bags that many thought were a leading cause of our demise. Turns out that the filthy (in many cases) reusable bags were helping to spread the virus and who knows what else.

San Francisco bans reusable bags in coronavirus fight | TheHill

The irony is obvious. Turns out that green is unclean in this instance.

Many other questions arise about the wisdom of some otherwise trendy and “eco-friendly” policies bestowed upon us by the more enlightened in our society. That’s probably best left to separate threads.

In the meantime, I wonder if SF will re-institute the use of reusable bags when the crisis is over?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

I feel bad for the turtles.....
Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I feel bad for the turtles.....
I can understand that but do you feel strongly enough then to outlaw the use of plastic bags?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
I can understand that but do you feel strongly enough then to outlaw the use of plastic bags?
Seriously, I was kidding. I shouldn't have joked about that, now the turtle lovers will come after me.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Seriously, I was kidding. I shouldn't have joked about that, now the turtle lovers will come after me.
Have no fear. Turtle lovers will never catch you.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
yes
Old 04-03-2020, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

What this shows is that the government in San Francisco pays attention to events and adjusts its regulations as needed. What an awful example of how the government should work. They, like so many other areas, felt that the risk/benefit analysis in normal conditions justified banning plastic bags due to the well establish danger to the environment.

When the risk/benefit changed to now perhaps those reused bags being a Covid risk they altered the policy. In this situation the plastic bags were safer at least in the short term.

Scoff all you like, but I see this as how government should work. Agile and concerned both with human life and with the world. Imagine actually using science to influence policy.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Have no fear. Turtle lovers will never catch you.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
San Francisco has now banned reusable grocery bags and has brought back the formerly maligned plastic grocery bags that many thought were a leading cause of our demise. Turns out that the filthy (in many cases) reusable bags were helping to spread the virus and who knows what else.

San Francisco bans reusable bags in coronavirus fight | TheHill

The irony is obvious. Turns out that green is unclean in this instance.

Many other questions arise about the wisdom of some otherwise trendy and “eco-friendly” policies bestowed upon us by the more enlightened in our society. That’s probably best left to separate threads.

In the meantime, I wonder if SF will re-institute the use of reusable bags when the crisis is over?
So, my reusable cloth bags in my trunk inferior for two weeks plus still have virus living in the fabric. Amazing, we are NEVER going to get rid of it.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
What this shows is that the government in San Francisco pays attention to events and adjusts its regulations as needed. What an awful example of how the government should work. They, like so many other areas, felt that the risk/benefit analysis in normal conditions justified banning plastic bags due to the well establish danger to the environment.

When the risk/benefit changed to now perhaps those reused bags being a Covid risk they altered the policy. In this situation the plastic bags were safer at least in the short term.

Scoff all you like, but I see this as how government should work. Agile and concerned both with human life and with the world. Imagine actually using science to influence policy.
You do know you’re talking about SF right. They have big section just off downtown the cops and EMT’s won’t go in with armor protection.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

Yes, science is good (a strawman) and it's pretty easy to imagine. But I think most of the urge was a combination of SF lefties feeling good and virtue signalling. Look, I'm a nice person and saving the planet. Hey, just my two cents.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, my reusable cloth bags in my trunk inferior for two weeks plus still have virus living in the fabric. Amazing, we are NEVER going to get rid of it.
Yours would pass muster. The issue was regular users never ever cleaned the reusable bags and were filthy .. in some cases, disgusting according to what I've read.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You do know you’re talking about SF right. They have big section just off downtown the cops and EMT’s won’t go in with armor protection.
I don't blame them ... in the least.

I don't have the stats at hand but other effects of soft-headed social policies and virtue signalling, among other things, also make SF a car thief's paradise. The cops don't typically respond due to frequency. It's a beautiful dystopia in some ways.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:03 PM
Platinum member

I’ve had personnel at Publix tell me that they don’t even want to touch some of the reusable bags people use as they’re dirty and nasty and smelly. Why not just go back to the paper bags we all grew up with. They’re reusable for so many things and can easily be recycled.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I’ve had personnel at Publix tell me that they don’t even want to touch some of the reusable bags people use as they’re dirty and nasty and smelly. Why not just go back to the paper bags we all grew up with. They’re reusable for so many things and can easily be recycled.
Agree. Common sense should trump emotion, or so it would seem
Closed Thread

Tags
bags, reusable, grocery, san, francisco

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.