San Francisco bans reusable grocery bags

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
================================================== ===================
I use insulated bags, like Cosco's or Sam's, for fresh meats, ice cream and the like. I ask for paper bags for the rest of the groceries because plastic will let viruses live longer on them than paper.

When I return home, I put all my paper bags in a safe place in the garage...off the floor and leave them there for about 1 day (since any virus will die within that time on paper/cardboard.

My wife disinfects a section of our countertop where I put the rest of the groceries: boxes, cans, glass containers, bagged goods. Then I wipe everything with antiseptic alcohol wipes, and move the groceries one by one to their storage place. The paper bags are trashed immediately. I wash my hands two-four times during this whole thing. The insulated zip bags are opened...usual wiping of each item, and the groceries are put into the fridge. Wife then Lysol's the bag interiors and exteriors. Bags are put back into the car for next food purchase. This journey takes about 1/2 hour, but the psychological relief is deserved and appreciated.
Your decontamination process is excellent and others can benefit from it. We use something similar when we receive groceries now from Instacart.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

CDC should have seen this coming if they were on top of everything and doing their job...and mandated that all grocery stores in SF ban re-usable shopping bags and go to good old paper back in January

but, then the 'protect the forest' people would have been up in arms

there's far less that care about the turtles, so I can see why SF went with plastic

gosh, the poor folks in SF must have been crying in their café latte over this one

Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 AM

They are doing this where my sister lives in PA also.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
I don't blame them ... in the least.

I don't have the stats at hand but other effects of soft-headed social policies and virtue signalling, among other things, also make SF a car thief's paradise. The cops don't typically respond due to frequency. It's a beautiful dystopia in some ways.
They responded promptly and thoroughly to my daughter's car being stolen. Did a great job of finding it and holding onto it for her until the insurance co. decided to total it due to the drug infested condition the thieves left it in.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:38 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
Seriously, I was kidding. I shouldn't have joked about that, now the turtle lovers will come after me.
No turtles were harmed in the making of this candy.
Turtle Candy Recipe With Pecans and Caramel
Old 04-04-2020, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Are you a turtle?
Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM

They will go back to reusable bags because they care about the environment. Might not be politically correct to care, but they do. Caring is also why, during the pandemic, they are not allowing the use of reusable bags in case others are infected by them in the grocery store. I have to wonder about people who seem to enjoy being critical about this.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spubear2 View Post
They will go back to reusable bags because they care about the environment. Might not be politically correct to care, but they do. Caring is also why, during the pandemic, they are not allowing the use of reusable bags in case others are infected by them in the grocery store. I have to wonder about people who seem to enjoy being critical about this.
"...they care."

That's usually the beginning of a problem. All you have to do is "care" as opposed to actually do something to solve a problem.

I don't enjoy being critical but rather get frustrated with what amounts to virtue signalling.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Have no fear. Turtle lovers will never catch you.
my vote for best joke of the year
Old 04-04-2020, 06:38 PM

Apparently they are not bringing back plastic bags. The virus remains active on plastic almost as long as on metal. SF is apparently requiring paper bags which give the virus a short period of activity and are biodegradable.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:36 AM

"Scoff all you like, but I see this as how government should work. Agile and concerned both with human life and with the world. Imagine actually using science to influence policy"

You know your talking about SF, right...lol!? The city with a "poop map"???
... maybe if that woman in California cared, she would stop people from defecating in the streets. Wonder what science applies there?? 🤔
Old 04-05-2020, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Turnbull View Post
"Scoff all you like, but I see this as how government should work. Agile and concerned both with human life and with the world. Imagine actually using science to influence policy"

You know your talking about SF, right...lol!? The city with a "poop map"???
... maybe if that woman in California cared, she would stop people from defecating in the streets. Wonder what science applies there?? 🤔
I wonder if the "poop map" is, or should be, considered a scientific innovation?
Closed Thread

Tags
bags, reusable, grocery, san, francisco

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.