Santa Rosa Fires.

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2017, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Unhappy Santa Rosa Fires.

My parents lived in Rohnert Park from 1986-1996. This is about nine miles south of Santa Rosa's downtown.

If we wanted to go shopping at a mall we had to go to Santa Rosa or further south to the North Shore of SF Bay.

I lived there from December 1991- June 1996 but had visited quite often from the Twin Cities except for am early winter of 1994 in the suburbs of Chicagoland helping my aunt deal with my uncle before he went into a nursing home a few hundred feet down the street from them.

Hard to watch all these areas that have been burnt by these fires.

Still have family in that area of Northern California.

The people there seem to be working together to help one another and fire fighters are coming from all over to get involved.

I have seen fire burning around Reno, Nevada and it is scary thing to prepare for it arriving in your neighborhood.

And all those wineries and other employers affected by these fires as well as the employees.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

We finally heard from our best friend who has a vineyard not far from the fires. So far their home and vineyards are OK house is not livable due to The air quality in their home. They’ve had to leave and not sure when they can return. Or if the fire will reach their home. But they are safe
Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 PM

I hope this link will work - it is a 3 minute drone video of the devastation in Santa Rosa taken Tuesday. (If it doesn't work, try typing it into your browser.) We have a kid living in Rhonert Park. They are safe, but said there is a layer of ash covering everything. Heartbreaking.

Jerry Langerman - My friend shot this. This is only 2.5...
Old 10-15-2017, 04:32 PM

I lived in Sonoma County about 40 years and worked 30 years for the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office as a Deputy Sheriff. Our main office and Court House was less than a Quarter of a mile from the main fire. 23 of current and retired deputies, 15 Correctional Officers, and a retired Judge have lost their homes and that's not counting all the clerical, dispatchers, and Court personnel. My daughter and ex/wife still live their. I have been a long time follower of T.O.T.V. and this is my first entry. This fire has been catastrophic and will probably be well over a billion dollars! Many of my friends and fellow officers were lucky to get out in time. I'm sure the body count will climb.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:36 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

The fires are horrible.

In addition to human and residential property loss some of the finest wineries have been hit hard: Stag's Leap, Chimney Ridge and William Hill to name a few.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-15-2017, 04:49 PM

Guy Fieri Who also owns the restaurant in Lake Sumter has lived in Sonoma County and in Santa Rosa all his life, he has, with a lot of his workers and friends have made and donated thousands of cooked meals to the victims in shelters, who have no where else to turn. I have not attended his restaurant here yet but will. I offer praise when praise warranted. Well done Guy Fiere!
Old 10-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
I hope this link will work - it is a 3 minute drone video of the devastation in Santa Rosa taken Tuesday. (If it doesn't work, try typing it into your browser.) We have a kid living in Rhonert Park. They are safe, but said there is a layer of ash covering everything. Heartbreaking.

Jerry Langerman - My friend shot this. This is only 2.5...
That is hard to watch.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 AM

Great post. Always so nice to hear something POSITIVE for a change! I'm from Northern CA, lived there all my life except the last 3 years in The Villages. Just breaks my heart to see the devastation.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydan View Post
I lived in Sonoma County about 40 years and worked 30 years for the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office as a Deputy Sheriff. Our main office and Court House was less than a Quarter of a mile from the main fire. 23 of current and retired deputies, 15 Correctional Officers, and a retired Judge have lost their homes and that's not counting all the clerical, dispatchers, and Court personnel. My daughter and ex/wife still live their. I have been a long time follower of T.O.T.V. and this is my first entry. This fire has been catastrophic and will probably be well over a billion dollars! Many of my friends and fellow officers were lucky to get out in time. I'm sure the body count will climb.
I had jury duty at the Sonoma County Court House and used to use their Law Library rather often. I did not get picked for Jury Duty though as the Prosecutor challenged me. Not sure why. It was just a routine drug bust of a dealer. The Judge had said he had seen me around the Law Library. Sonoma County's senior judge retires, sort of | The Press Democrat -

My sister-in-law was just in Northern CA and told me that her Santa Rosa girlfriend's house burned down. My other former sister-in-law still lives in that area and finally made contact through Facebook saying she was safe.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-16-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That is hard to watch.

Zillow has those Coffey Park homes valued at $450K - $550K.

Median home price in Santa Rosa is about $565K x 2700 homes lost is about $1.5 Bil. and climbing.

I worked in Santa Rosa 2002 - 2010.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
Zillow has those Coffey Park homes valued at $450K - $550K.

Median home price in Santa Rosa is about $565K x 2700 homes lost is about $1.5 Bil. and climbing.

I worked in Santa Rosa 2002 - 2010.

We moved to Palm Harbor, FL in 1996 because we could get a lot more house for the price. Plus my niece and nephew -- Tar and Zac had moved to Safety Harbor, Florida. Tal was born later in Florida. They had lived in the Cotati/Rohnert Park, CA area and moved back there in the late 2000s. They were in Las Vegas when Steven Paddock shot up the Country Music Festival. So, I have been doing a lot of safety checks on people and hoping they reply on Facebook.

I do miss the weather in Northern California and especially going to the Pacific Ocean.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-16-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Sage

My wife's sister who lives in Fairfield, CA recently told her that her ex just moved to Mesquite, Nevada and in the same complex where the shooter lived.

Small World!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

Tags
fires, santa, south, fire, lived

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.