GPS golf devices

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Default GPS golf devices

Do any of you golfers have a favorite golf GPS device? Are there some that have all of the Villages courses in a library? If you have one do you find it helpful enough to make it worth the money?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommullr View Post
Do any of you golfers have a favorite golf GPS device? Are there some that have all of the Villages courses in a library? If you have one do you find it helpful enough to make it worth the money?
I have a had a Sky Caddie for several years. All of the championship and executive courses are available to download. However, you can't download them all to your device at one time. The standard unit holds 10 courses but there is a software upgrade that will increase the limit to 20.

I use the Sky Caddie to help me make a club selection when going into the green....the intelli green feature tells you the distance to the front, middle and back of the green. Depending on the pin I could take 1 less or 1 more club. Also you can display a target list that will tell you how far the water hazard or sand trap is.

The downside is you have to subscribe to Sky Caddie annually...there are different price levels you can choose from but you must renew or the mapped courses are gone. Other devices allow you to pay once for a course. The Callaway device includes pictures of the hole but is expensive and has had reliability issues.

My friends and I never play without the Sky Caddie....
Old 09-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

I agree completely on SkyCaddie - although I rarely use it in the execs. I have the champ courses downloaded and only make a change if I am traveling to play a course
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 AM

I have used a SkyCaddie for 4 years. I recently purchased a Golf Guru. No annual subscription rates. I have access to over 25,000 courses country wide. The Guru holds 40 courses in it's library. Only problem I have is I bought the cheaper black and white model. I should have gotten the color model.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I use the Bushnell Pinseeker. It can give you the distance to any spot on any golf course. No subscriptions, no downloads, and no software required. You just select the mode, landscape or pin, aim and press yardage. Gives you the exact yardage to the pin or the selection you picked regardless of location. More and more courses are replacing the nut on top of the flag with the prisms. This makes the aim and shoot very easy for the distance to the flag. You can pick the front or back of the green, from the tee to a sand trap, or any other landmark that you can sight through the small circle in the view finder. I have used this and a skycaddie and both work well and have a purpose. I am just used to the Pinseeker and like it better. One minor drawback is on a hole where there is a sharp dogleg and where you want to hit to you can't see. For these very few instances, the skycaddie is better.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 09-14-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:41 PM
SNOK

I used to use the SkyCaddie and liked it a lot. I now use the Bushnell Pinseeker for the same reasons sited by Idridehd. The Bushnell works very well and I don't have to be concerned about downloading courses or renewing my subscription. I tried the SkyCaddie and the Bushnell together a couple of times just to compare the accuracy. Their measurements were consistently within about 1-2 yards of each other. The Bushnell is actually a little more accurate, because you don't have to approximate where the flag is on the green as you do with the SkyCaddie.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Sage

I use SkyCaddie but have noticed a recent move to use GPS enabled phones (Iphone, BlackBerry etc.). I saw a commercial recently that claimed $39 per year total cost for their app. If i see the commercial again I'll repost with the name of the company or website.

Of course you need the GPS phone first
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.