Save our post office

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Because it pays the bills (not all of the bills, but a lot).
The real question is does the post office handle junk mail at a profit or a loss?

Than the rest of us pay for the cost of its disposal and dumped in a landfill.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:18 PM

How much of that mail is junk mail?
Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mken53 View Post
How much of that mail is junk mail?
We moved here about 4 months ago and at first only got stuff we kind of wanted like bills. All of the junk mail we used to get did not get forwarded so life was great.

Over time the junk mail people found us and today about 75% of our mail gets tossed without opening.

Remarkably how many companies who would send us junk mail in Va somehow found our new address here.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I will agree that much of my mail also ends up in the recycling container. USPS should charge more to deliver junk mail. As far as paying for health care benefits, is it necessary for the USPS to prepay 75 years in the future...how about USPS prepaying 20 to 30 years in the future as a compromise?
USPS should charge more for everything...it is crazy that we pay so little for the service. What we don't get to see is their financials because our politicians have them so convoluted getting to cost plus profit is almost impossible.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-01-2020, 05:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would propose that people should have the option to cancel their Post Office account and remove their mailbox, but your father could keep his account. If a letter or junk mail is sent to someone who has cancelled their account, the mail would be returned, and the sender would need to use UPS, FedEx, or another private delivery service. But, the current system requires every person to have a USPS account, and if the IRS, a bank, or a lawyer sends you a letter, the courts will rule that you have received the letter. Also, you cannot stop junk mail from being deposited into you mailbox until it overflows.
Anyone can refuse mail. When we were selling our house in Illinois I removed the mailbox. No problems with that. There are some functions of government that are inherently governmental. Fire protection, police protection, regulation of interstate commerce, and postal service are among these. Internet service is privatized, and thirty some years on, it still is either not available or is prohibitively expensive in half of the country. That would have been a good function for the ubiquitous postal service.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:34 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default USPS Selling your INFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We moved here about 4 months ago and at first only got stuff we kind of wanted like bills. All of the junk mail we used to get did not get forwarded so life was great.

Over time the junk mail people found us and today about 75% of our mail gets tossed without opening.

Remarkably how many companies who would send us junk mail in Va somehow found our new address here.
The US Postal Service sells your name. Before everyone says I'm Wrong I have been getting Junk Mail, Hearing Aid Ads Medicare Offers Etc. in my dead aunt and uncles names. 2 years ago I handled their Estate and started getting this CRAP right after I put a change of address card in to the USPS to handle their affairs. They lived over 25 years in Gainesville, never here. Len
Old 07-01-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
The real question is does the post office handle junk mail at a profit or a loss?

Than the rest of us pay for the cost of its disposal and dumped in a landfill.

There is no profit at the USPS.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
The US Postal Service sells your name. Before everyone says I'm Wrong I have been getting Junk Mail, Hearing Aid Ads Medicare Offers Etc. in my dead aunt and uncles names. 2 years ago I handled their Estate and started getting this CRAP right after I put a change of address card in to the USPS to handle their affairs. They lived over 25 years in Gainesville, never here. Len
Interesting. Our son moved out of our home 25 years ago to go to school and never came back home. All the time we lived in Va he would get mail from time to time.

Since we moved to Florida he gets some mail here. Could be the postal service does sell our info.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Anyone can refuse mail. When we were selling our house in Illinois I removed the mailbox. No problems with that. There are some functions of government that are inherently governmental. Fire protection, police protection, regulation of interstate commerce, and postal service are among these. Internet service is privatized, and thirty some years on, it still is either not available or is prohibitively expensive in half of the country. That would have been a good function for the ubiquitous postal service.
You cannot refuse junk mail, and you cannot remove your mailbox in The Villages. If you try send it back using "return to sender", it will probably just show up again in your mailbox, especially if it is not in an envelope. If you live in a house where you have a separate mailbox on your property, you could remove it, but you will still accumulate mail at the Post Office. The problem is that, if you get a jury summons, a letter from the IRS, or any other official notice, the legal system will hold you responsible for having received the letter.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:19 PM

I still prefer my paper bills, statements, etc, but, YES, I do tire of all of th junk mail
Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 PM

Privatization of business or leaving it public (govt) should be considered carefully. NEITHER one is automatically better than the other. Self interests seem always to get in the way of evaluation.

Harvard Business Review
Does Privatization Serve the Public Interest?
by John B. Goodman and Gary W. Loveman
From the November-December 1991 Issue
Old 09-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifred123 View Post
Privatization of business or leaving it public (govt) should be considered carefully. NEITHER one is automatically better than the other. Self interests seem always to get in the way of evaluation.

Harvard Business Review
Does Privatization Serve the Public Interest?
by John B. Goodman and Gary W. Loveman
From the November-December 1991 Issue

I agree neither is automatically better than the other. IMHO the government shouldn't be running anything...just provide oversight
Old 09-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapbas View Post
I have a small business and the usps is the fastest, cheapest reliable way to get purchases to consumers. To me their services are invaluable.

Comparable ground services by the 2 major Delivery co’s are slow and far more money.

It costs 2.86 to 3.09 to get an item to the buyer, affords some sellers to offer free shipping.

It’s one of the best deals going. Presuming many of you are purchasing online nowadays you can get your items delivered cheaper and preserves your disposable income.

I would prefer they fix it and not eliminate.
Just a thought but possibly because they are the cheapest is the reason they are not profitable. A business that sells for less than their cost won’t be a business long.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
Just a thought but possibly because they are the cheapest is the reason they are not profitable. A business that sells for less than their cost won’t be a business long.
Bingo. You are correct on both counts.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:50 PM

out of all that mail maybe 1 percent is meaningful...unless you like lunch and dinner invites for cremation, funerals, annuities as essential.....
Closed Thread

Tags
usps, run, armed, elected, forces

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.