Scam phone calls daily

Closed Thread
Old 12-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Default Scam phone calls daily

How to block these phone calls - now up to 10 or more a day on home line
Old 12-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

I am guessing these are from different phone numbers so blocking will be a problem. I am getting ready to change the answering machine message to indicate all calls will be screened, and that if you really want to talk to me leave a message and phone number.

There is a service called NoMoRobo, you need to sign up on line and your telephone service provided needs to support the service, this may help.

One of the big problems is that the scam/spam callers are now using computer sites to mask or change the phone number displayed, so call blocking no longer works as they are constantly changing numbers. I have actually gotten calls from my OWN phone number and e-mails from my OWN email address.

I feel your pain, if you find a solution, please post it for the rest of us.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleudeturquoise View Post
How to block these phone calls - now up to 10 or more a day on home line
If you can..... have it taken out. Removed mine several months ago and don't miss it! It was unplugged most of the time anyway.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

It is not just the land lines that are affected.

I get 4-10 nuisance calls on my cell phone almost daily.

I retained my 502 area code service and initially that is where most came from. Now I get calls from all over the USA.

Do not call list is useless. And as has been stated blocking is ineffective as computers are constantly generating different numbers.

If the number does not show up from my contact list I do not answer. Most robo calls will not go to the point to leave a message.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Trying to block waste is of time, they buy blocks of numbers in the hundreds, block one and you just hit by the hundred. They have lobbyist making sure they can’t get completely blocked by regulations manipulation.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
It is not just the land lines that are affected.

I get 4-10 nuisance calls on my cell phone almost daily.

I retained my 502 area code service and initially that is where most came from. Now I get calls from all over the USA.

Do not call list is useless. And as has been stated blocking is ineffective as computers are constantly generating different numbers.

If the number does not show up from my contact list I do not answer. Most robo calls will not go to the point to leave a message.
We’re same way, if we don’t recognize the number we don’t answer.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I wouldn't call them scam calls, but I get several sales calls every day. Somehow, in many cases, my phone seems to be able to hang up on them after a few seconds.

In other cases, I like to have fun with them. One cal often starts, We were asked to give you a call about......." I stop them right there and say, "Who asked you to give me a call?" Then they try to go back to some sort of script and I won't let them. I demand to know who asked them to give me a call. And I won't let them talk unless they give me an answer.

When one of them got obstinate with me I told her that she's lying and if she thinks she's going to sell me something she's crazy. She told me that I should be more careful about what I put out on the internet. So the lesson is that if you respond in any way to any ads int eh internet when you are only trying to get a price or more information, you can expect to get a lot of these kinds of calls.

In the business they call you a "qualified lead".
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Seems to me mobile phone makers (apple/android) could easily resolve this issue by adding a setting which when turned on does not allow your phone to ring unless the incoming number is from one of your contacts. I can’t understand why they haven’t added this feature yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage

I've had that feature on my android phone from verizon for years.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip’dabeat View Post
Seems to me mobile phone makers (apple/android) could easily resolve this issue by adding a setting which when turned on does not allow your phone to ring unless the incoming number is from one of your contacts. I can’t understand why they haven’t added this feature yet.

On my Samsung Galaxy S8, I can turn on the "do not disturb" setting, and allow custom exceptions that can include my contacts. I never do this because I like talking to scammers.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:01 AM

We keep that generic message that came with the phone, and the scam callers rarely leave a message. Oh we don’t answer any numbers we don’t recognize. Saves lots of time on our part.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip’dabeat View Post

The problem with that is that I run a club and I get calls from people all the time inquiring about the club or from members that are not listed in my contacts. I've also gotten calls from my various doctors that are from a different number than I have listed for them.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The problem with that is that I run a club and I get calls from people all the time inquiring about the club or from members that are not listed in my contacts. I've also gotten calls from my various doctors that are from a different number than I have listed for them.
If it's actually important, they'll use the new, nifty little feature called...'voicemail.'

I've personally never understood those who think they absolutely, must, under all circumstances, situation or location...answer a ringing phone.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
If it's actually important, they'll use the new, nifty little feature called...'voicemail.'

I've personally never understood those who think they absolutely, must, under all circumstances, situation or location...answer a ringing phone.
Unless you are a 911 dispatcher.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,094 Times in 374 Posts

Why waste time with a scammer? You may think you are giving them a hard time but mostly you are wasting your time. The scammers have obviously heard it all many time. They are doing this all day long and another failure is just part of the job.

Let unknown calls go to the answering machine and save time unless you like to talk.
Closed Thread

Tags
calls, phone, day, line, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.