Scam (Xfinity Ebay Promotion Offer)

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Default Scam (Xfinity Ebay Promotion Offer)

Xfinity/Comcast Ebay Gift Card Scam: If you receive a call from what appears to be Xfinity/Comcast offering you a Promotion Special to significantly reduce your TV and Internet costs by purchasing an ebay gift card and using it to pay 2 months in advance at the newly reduced rate, DONT DO IT! The fraudulent callers are very clever. They use an Xfinity phone number, clone the Xfinity automated voice menu and allow you to call them back on that seemingly valid number. When I received this call I immediately logged on to my Xfinity account and started a chat session. I told them about the offer and the agent told me the phone number they called from was, in fact, the Xfinity billing department and said the offer sounded great. So I went through with the process. Turned out to be a scam. I am humbled and embarrassed by my actions, but not so much as not to try to inform others about this. Larry Cox, The Villages.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycox8ball@gmail.com View Post
Xfinity/Comcast Ebay Gift Card Scam: If you receive a call from what appears to be Xfinity/Comcast offering you a Promotion Special to significantly reduce your TV and Internet costs by purchasing an ebay gift card and using it to pay 2 months in advance at the newly reduced rate, DONT DO IT! The fraudulent callers are very clever. They use an Xfinity phone number, clone the Xfinity automated voice menu and allow you to call them back on that seemingly valid number. When I received this call I immediately logged on to my Xfinity account and started a chat session. I told them about the offer and the agent told me the phone number they called from was, in fact, the Xfinity billing department and said the offer sounded great. So I went through with the process. Turned out to be a scam. I am humbled and embarrassed by my actions, but not so much as not to try to inform others about this. Larry Cox, The Villages.
As a good scammer, they probably spoofed Comcasts phone number.

General rule of thumb: if you hear the words "Gift Card" it's a scam.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Pinball Wizard has the right of it! Any time anyone calls you and asks you to buy a gift-card in order to pay something unrelated, or cover the cost of something unrelated, don't do it. Think about that: why would you use E-bay or Pay-Pal credit to pay for Comcast services, ever? Answer: you wouldn't.
Closed Thread

Tags
xfinity, offer, ebay, call, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.