Scavengers/poachers on the golf course?!?

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
On the first tee at Heron this morning waiting my turn in the tee box.
A crow lights on the seat of my golf cart, picks up my oats and chocolate breakfast bar (unopened yet) and flies away with it.

That is a first!!!!

he must've recognized the packaging,
Old 05-24-2020, 12:13 PM
Smile Delightful

Thanks All, This is the most delightful thread EVER!!
Old 05-24-2020, 12:48 PM

I lived on Clearwater beach/Sand Key for the last 15 years before moving here. A young couple who borrowed their parents condo in my building for their honeymoon getaway were in the pool. All of a sudden she starts screaming as a crow landed on the table they had placed some belongings on in between the chaise lounges. "MY RINGS ON THAT TABLE!, MY RINGS ON THAT TABLE!. I had just arose from my poolside slumber as she started screaming so I started running over there to shoo it away because they were in the pool. I got there just in time to see the crow take off with what I would learn was a $14,000 wedding ring.

Needless to say she was upset, even though their insurance would replace it she was still upset. Funniest thing she said was that she only brought her costume jewelry with. That was the only thing on that table worth anything and that's what the crow chose. Lol!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:54 PM
Send a message via AIM to navair4me

breakfast to go? ;-) Don't trust the squirrels,either!
Old 05-24-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've had black birds at Belle Glade Calusa take an energy bar off the seat of my cart while I was on the green and Cane Garden Jacaranda Hole #5 the monkey squirrels in the big oak tree will take anything in your cart, orange crackers, energy bars, raisins, although I haven't seen them lately. I live about 100 yards away from that hole in a CYV and have 4 regular squirrels in my backyard all the time.

Once I was sitting in my car in front of Publix at Colony and a cart parked next to me, I watched two black birds go inside the cart and check it out everything in the cart. I learned if you playing golf, anything you have open, when you go to the green or tee put it in the glove box.
At Calusa a bird (seagull) picked my ball up off the green and fly away with it.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phylt View Post
The very same thing happened to me on the same golf course about a month ago! I had brought a couple granola bars containing chocolate chips and left them in my cart. I went to practice some putting and saw a friend of mine running off to the right and had no idea why. On his return to the putting green he informed me that he had seen a crow in my cart steeling something and flying off. He tried to retrieve it. When I looked in the cart I noticed one of the two unopened bars missing! Lesson learned.
NEVER have any food in your cart or golf bag. It just attracts hungry creatures.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:12 AM

To the fellow who commented on the first hole of colusa I had the same thing happened to me on the second hole of colusa the first hole used to have a million birds on the Green that you had to shoo away when you were putting if your ball landed to the right side of the hole
Old 05-25-2020, 01:21 PM

If you think they are bad, wait until one of the crocs targets your breakfast!
Old 05-25-2020, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmio View Post
I lived on Clearwater beach/Sand Key for the last 15 years before moving here. A young couple who borrowed their parents condo in my building for their honeymoon getaway were in the pool. All of a sudden she starts screaming as a crow landed on the table they had placed some belongings on in between the chaise lounges. "MY RINGS ON THAT TABLE!, MY RINGS ON THAT TABLE!. I had just arose from my poolside slumber as she started screaming so I started running over there to shoo it away because they were in the pool. I got there just in time to see the crow take off with what I would learn was a $14,000 wedding ring.

Needless to say she was upset, even though their insurance would replace it she was still upset. Funniest thing she said was that she only brought her costume jewelry with. That was the only thing on that table worth anything and that's what the crow chose. Lol!
Did she need to have crow insurance as a separate rider?
Old 05-25-2020, 03:38 PM

Not long ago, a black bird landed in my cart and left his "gift" to me in the eye piece of my range finder... filled it right up.
Ugh
Old 05-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Speaking of squirrel problems

This is well worth a watch

Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder - YouTube
Old 05-25-2020, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisbum View Post
Or targets their breakfast!!!

Old 05-25-2020, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisbum View Post
Under the impression it is rare to see one, am I wrong?
Old 05-25-2020, 11:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Crows are probably the smartest birds in north America, maybe the world. they run in family pods and work together. It you threaten them they remember you face and will avoid you're presents and warn other crows of danger. Washington state or Oregon university done study on learning channel? (cant remember, been 10 years since I seen the program) years ago revealed a lot what crows learn and communicate. They also like shinny objects and will collect them. most don't realize, but they are watching you and learn how to source food. They didn't fall off the Gooney Bird turnip truck yesterday.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke711 View Post
Not long ago, a black bird landed in my cart and left his "gift" to me in the eye piece of my range finder... filled it right up.
Ugh
grackles and north American black bird have learned to pick dead bugs off car Front ends and even pick them out of the radiators. Watch them in parking lot next time you go to store.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, tee, scavengers/poachers, unopened, chocolate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.