School shooting in Indianapolis suburb of Noblesville

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
Sorry but I would NOT have wanted to be trained and armed as you suggest. I attended an excellent university in order to develop an expertise in my field of education so that I could best serve my students. I did not choose the teaching profession with any intention of learning how to use a gun to kill intruders. We all have our roles in society and I do not believe that is or should be the domain of educators.
You are right. It takes a certain set of skills to be a person who knows how to use a firearm and to protect others. It requires courage and intelligence and a steady hand and a strong character. . However, there are some teachers who do know how and WANT to protect themselves and their students.

I wish someone could have protected that science teacher from being shot three times this morning.

I have never touched a gun nor has anyone in our home. But I do want the option open to own a gun and learn how to use it. With children being raised without being taught as we were, not to kill, I want to keep the option open to protect myself and my loved ones from being harmed as the world may just get more dangerous.

My grandfather and my uncle were police officers and never once used their guns. Times have changed. People do not listen to the commands of police too often and then they are harmed.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Miner View Post
Another school shooting today. The gun nuts say HOHUM, so what nothing can be done. Its not the guns, or the type of guns, or the availability of guns, or the type of people who can get guns, no nothing to do with guns. Nothing to do because nothing can be done. Lets send thoughts and prayers to the survivors while the NRA sends money to the sellout politicians. I do wonder who will be next.
Not me.........................
Old 05-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Platinum member

Arm teachers huh? What's next then? Arming ministers, choir directors, funeral directors, and anyone else who is where people assemble? Please. You know what needs to be done.

good guy with a gun video - Bing video
Old 05-26-2018, 08:06 AM
Platinum member

Some facts, if you care......

America's gun culture vs. the world in 5 charts - CNN
Old 05-26-2018, 08:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Arm teachers huh? What's next then? Arming ministers, choir directors, funeral directors, and anyone else who is where people assemble? Please. You know what needs to be done.

good guy with a gun video - Bing video

Why do we guard everyone and everything with guns but not our schools? You don’t want armed teachers? Fine, why not armed security? Banks, politicians, airports, celebrities etc are protected by guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 08:20 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Why do we guard everyone and everything with guns but not our schools? You don’t want armed teachers? Fine, why not armed security? Banks, politicians, airports, celebrities etc are protected by guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

However many teachers today are not capable as teachers, much less of handling a firearm properly. Those who are allowed or required to carry should be vetted for emotional stability, especially in a crisis situation, and trained to properly handle any firearm they might carry.

Students Snap Photos of Teacher Sleeping in Class | Fox News Insider

From the article below:

"One recent review of the evidence by McKinsey & Co., the management consulting firm, showed that most schoolteachers are recruited from the bottom third of college-bound high-school students. (Finland takes the top 10 percent.)

At the same time, the teachers' unions have become more and more powerful. In most states, after two or three years, teachers are given lifetime tenure. It is almost impossible to fire them. In New York City in 2008, three out of 30,000 tenured teachers were dismissed for cause. The statistics are just as eye-popping in other cities. The percentage of teachers dismissed for poor performance in Chicago between 2005 and 2008 (the most recent figures available) was 0.1 percent. In Akron, Ohio, zero percent. In Toledo, 0.01 percent. In Denver, zero percent. In no other socially significant profession are the workers so insulated from accountability. The responsibility does not just fall on the unions. Many principals don't even try to weed out the poor performers (or they transfer them to other schools in what's been dubbed the "dance of the lemons"). Year after year, about 99 percent of all teachers in the United States are rated "satisfactory" by their school systems; firing a teacher invites a costly court battle with the local union."

Why We Must Fire Bad Teachers

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-26-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coal Miner View Post
Another school shooting today. The gun nuts say HOHUM, so what nothing can be done. Its not the guns, or the type of guns, or the availability of guns, or the type of people who can get guns, no nothing to do with guns. Nothing to do because nothing can be done. Lets send thoughts and prayers to the survivors while the NRA sends money to the sellout politicians. I do wonder who will be next.
No it is not the "gun nuts" as your bias states.
It is people with similar appraoch....it has to be discussed as what to do about the guns.
Why do these same folks NOT discuss actions that can be taken to make the schools safer and provide safety for the children. Easy answer. Such talk does not advance the anti gun agenda.

There are many actions that can be taken that would prevent a potential shooter or any other unauthorized person from entering the school.

Why is it not a priority to pursue these actions?
I keep forgetting.....such actions do not promote the anti gun hysteria agenda.

Repeating myself? Yes! Intentionally. The anti gun hysteria being parroted by the uninformed agenda lemmings solves nothing!!!

But is anti gun so doing nothing must be OK, right. Just look at history.

What has changed to make the schools and children safer.

NOTHING!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
adult, injured;, year, girl, custody

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.