Self driving autonomous pipe dream

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2019, 02:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Ethics morality question. Since the car knows exactly how long it takes to stop at any given speed what will happen when a child runs out to fetch a ball. The situation is as follows. The car calculates stopping distance and the answer is can not stop in time to avoid the child. The only other option is to swerve but car realizes there are a group of people at the bus stop and calculates that distance also as impossible to stop. What programer get to write the decision into the software program I.E. take one life or several but the one life is that of a child and the bus stop was adults.
The programmer will not make the decision. He will create the program that performs as directed by those making the decisions.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Ethics morality question. Since the car knows exactly how long it takes to stop at any given speed what will happen when a child runs out to fetch a ball. The situation is as follows. The car calculates stopping distance and the answer is can not stop in time to avoid the child. The only other option is to swerve but car realizes there are a group of people at the bus stop and calculates that distance also as impossible to stop. What programer get to write the decision into the software program I.E. take one life or several but the one life is that of a child and the bus stop was adults.
So what decision would you make and how long do you think you would take to make the decision compared to how fast a computer can make that decision?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-24-2019, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post

Under what justification should we "question" how a corporation...chooses to spend their own research money?

Particularly since it is all but inevitable...it will come to pass.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
There will always be no-win situations...or only bad/arguably worse choices.

In fact, ethics classes have a plethora of these types of scenarios.

More importantly though, is the big picture whereby how many accidents will be avoided by the use of automation/sensors that can react/process all of the factors, in a fraction of the time...that even the best of drivers can do?
Old 11-24-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Me and mine are hanging red and green lights outdoors. Now there's a dependable technology.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So what decision would you make and how long do you think you would take to make the decision compared to how fast a computer can make that decision?
That was a very intelligent response. You are smarter than the average bear to go down that path rather than the obvious think of about how many lives will be saved. The fact is you as a human do not have the capability to make such a precise calculation as the on board computer does especially within that time frame. My guess is by the time your mind processed the situation you would not have realized there was options and probably would have slammed on the brakes - period. The reality of this situation is some algorithm will be programed in. I for one would not like to be the one that makes that decision to be incorporated into the software. On the other hand what will AI bring to the party ? Thus I think autonomous vehicles are farther away than we think. Not for technology but for morality.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

.....and as for Dick Tracy and his two way wrist radio.
What nonsence that was!

Last edited by Two Bills; 11-25-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:32 AM
Default What if you lose your license?

Quote:
I doubt our generation will fully embrace it.
You might change your mind when faced with losing your drivers license due to advanced age. You might prefer an autonomous car to having to beg for rides.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
What decision would you make is a good question, people think computers should be infallible, they never will be, but, they can always be reprogrammed to fix a problem. How do you fix stupid?
Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Do you think the computer will let me drive?
Old 11-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

They said the Wright Brothers were crazy too, and Henry Ford, and Nikola Tesla...
Old 11-25-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,300 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
What decision would you make is a good question, people think computers should be infallible, they never will be, but, they can always be reprogrammed to fix a problem. How do you fix stupid?
////
Old 11-28-2019, 09:08 AM

if you don't want to drive in the crazy traffic of The Villages anymore getting around is difficult. HATE BEGGING FOR RIDES. investigating sumter transit.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:39 PM

I am not there yet on self driving vehicles but......it would be a godsend for people with special needs.

He who dies with the most toys....wins!
Old 12-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default We tend to question anything new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Self driving cars. Human driven cars we can easily research the accident rate per 100,000 miles. The death rate per 100,000 miles.

For self driving cars, for a machine, we would not find what a human can do, does, to be acceptable.

There was that event where a self driving car hit a lady walking a bike on a dark road. Apparently the self driving car recorded the video. I saw the story several times I don't recall a single person wondering it a human would have avoided hitting the lady who chose to cross the road at a very poor place to do so.

I am not defending the machine. I am not am not a techno-nerd. Just trying to point out that nothing is perfect.
Closed Thread

Tags
dream, pipe, spend, billions, questioning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.