Semi-Trucks Out of Control....I'm Ticked.

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Veteran member
Default Semi-Trucks Out of Control....I'm Ticked.

A vent follows. I manage the departments of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine for the North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health Care System. I divide my time between the two major medicial centers at Lake City and Gainesville. On my way to the clinical laboratory at Lake City last Friday, I drove by two horrific crashes on I-75. Both accidents involved several semi-tractor-trailers as some of you may have heard. Just as I walked into the medical center, I was informed that one of my hematology laboratory supervisors was a victim of one of those accidents. She was life-flighted to Shands in critical condition. I had just met with her on Thursday to discuss improving a quality of care issue. She is a delightful young woman, a talented clinical scientist professional dedicated to patient care and she considers her mission as extra special by serving the military veterans of our nation. She is the mother of two children, ages six and ten. At this time, I still do not know the full extent of her injuries. But here's what I do know: she was an occupant of the VA shuttle for employees of the Lake City division enroute to Gainesville. The van was stopped in traffic which was backed up due to the accident near Gainesville. A tractor-trailer was stopped behind the van. Another tractor-trailer was unable to stop in time and hit the stopped tractor-trailer at nearly top speed which pushed the 80,000 pound stopped tractor-trailer into the van.

On my way home from work on Friday afternoon while this incident was heavily on my mind, I couldn't but notice how closely these very big trucks follow behind us. What are the drivers thinking? If they are truly professional, they'd know that they would have little room to stop in an emergency. Based on my own experience, this "following close" practice by big rigs is a rather common occurance. Enough is enough. Damn.....just damn! This must stop! Something must be done! I'm ticked-off with the truckers and sad and worried about Merlinda.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Semi-Trucks Out of Control....I'm Ticked.

I hope your colleague survives her injuries and has a full recovery.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:47 PM

JohnZ - First let me express my sympathy to you and my hopes and prayers your colleague recovers completely. Second, I agree completely . Last year my wife and I drove from our home in Missouri to Fairfax VA to visit my mother-in-law. I'm not exactly a slow driver. I usually cruise along at about 80 on the interstate. But I get pretty upset when I'm cruising at 80 and look in my rear view mirror and see nothing but semi bumper. I know these guys are trying to make a living, but if I have to even tap my brakes, or if I have a blowout, this guy is going to take me out. And there is no need for it. The truck drivers used to be known as the "knights of the road" and noted for generally being courteous, helpful, and skillful drivers. No longer. Guess it goes along with the general decline in manners and courtesy.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

I've been in snow storms and even they don't slow some truckers down. I remember an entire family of 6 being wiped out on the NY Thruway near Rochester in the 70s by a semi that just ran over their car which was moving but at a slower pace in a storm. I've been on 271 in Ohio when you couldn't see the lines on the road and couldn't tell if you were on the shoulder or which if any lane you were in and was passed by truckers doing about 70. Their are many good truckers out there but there are also a lot of really bad ones and those need to be stopped. By the way, going 80 on I75 is kind of like 55 in Atlanta, you're going to get run over.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:23 AM
Eternal Member

John, I am sorry about your colleague. I hope she fully recovers.

I too have noticed truck drivers that act as if they are driving sports cars around a race track when on the road. I commute via the NJ Turnpike and I-78 back and forth to work each day, 30 + miles each way. I see a lot of trucks on the road, and have developed the follow biases:
- Dump truck drivers working on the eternal construction on I-78 are the worst drivers. They speed, tailgate and change lanes as if their lives depended on it. They are incredibly aggressive and act as if they own the road.
- "Covered Wagon" drivers are next on my list (semis where the trailer is for garbage or some other loose substance with a tarpaulin over it). As fast as they can go, always in the left lane, barrelling down the highway. Get out of their way!
The above 2 are part of a larger class of drivers (in my mind) I call the day-drivers - those without a sleepover portion on their cab. I judge these drivers as always in a hurry to get home and that's part of why they drive so aggressively.
- Next are the long-haul truckers with the sleep-over cabs. They are often agressive, but I've found them to be much less trouble than the ones above.

Yesterday there was an accident on I-78 where a west bound truck leaped the concrete barrier (taking about 1/2 of it away) and crashed head-on into a semi going east. Both trucks burst into flames and both drivers were killed. Miraculously, they were the only 2 killed. They drive too fast!

I drive a Winnebago (35') and to some degree can sympathize with truckers and their difficulties on the road though. I can't tell you the number of times a "four-wheeler" has pulled in front of me to exit immediately because they couldn't stand being behind something that moved slower than they were capable of moving. I'd have to slam on the brakes, and luckily haven't crashed yet as a result. These incredibly stupid actions on the part of automobile drivers doesn't help (and doesn't defend high rates of speed on the part of the truckers), but I am sure is a contributor to some of the accidents, and probably some of the attitude, that trucks and truckers have.

I agree that driving defensively is the only way to drive!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

Update on Merlinda. She sustained a head injury resulting in a subdural hematoma which has been controlled. No cranial fractures. She's out danger but is experiencing some memory loss. Good prognosis. Thanks ya'll for the notes.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Eternal Member

That's great news John Z!

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.