Senior care is crushingly expensive. Boomers aren’t ready.

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
 
Thread Tools
 
Old 03-18-2023, 12:45 PM
jump4 jump4 is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 84
Thanks: 4
Thanked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Exclamation Senior care is crushingly expensive. Boomers aren’t ready.

“Long-term care costs represent “the single largest financial risk” facing seniors and their families….

A wave of Americans has been reaching retirement age largely unprepared for the extraordinary costs of specialized care. These aging baby boomers — 73 million strong, the oldest of whom turn 77 this year — pose an unprecedented challenge to the U.S. economy, as individual families shoulder an increasingly ruinous financial burden with little help from stalemated policymakers in Washington.

The dilemma is particularly vexing for those in the economic middle. They can’t afford the high costs of care on their own, yet their resources are too high for them to qualify for federal safety-net insurance. An estimated 18 million middle-income boomers will require care for moderate to severe needs but be unable to pay for it.

“It’s this really enormous financial bomb sitting out there that most people are just hoping won’t hit them,” said Marc A. Cohen, co-director of the LeadingAge LTSS Center at the University of Massachusetts at Boston. “There’s an incredible amount of confusion and denial.””

What should be done?

https://wapo.st/42pxufs
 
Old 03-18-2023, 12:57 PM
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,579
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,590 Times in 624 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post

“It’s this really enormous financial bomb sitting out there that most people are just hoping won’t hit them,” said Marc A. Cohen, co-director of the LeadingAge LTSS Center at the University of Massachusetts at Boston. “There’s an incredible amount of confusion and denial.””

What should be done?

https://wapo.st/42pxufs
No wonder.
Have you checked what it cost to live/retire in Boston Massachusetts????
 
Old 03-18-2023, 01:02 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11,072
Thanks: 1,559
Thanked 10,344 Times in 3,867 Posts
Default

What should be done? Nothing.

The Government already pays too much for nursing home care under Medicaid, and the care is lousy. We don't need to waste any more taxpayer money.
 
Old 03-18-2023, 04:12 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,992
Thanks: 5,592
Thanked 7,577 Times in 2,423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What should be done? Nothing.

The Government already pays too much for nursing home care under Medicaid, and the care is lousy. We don't need to waste any more taxpayer money.
So your answer is:

Let them suffer and/or die.
 
Old 03-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Kenswing's Avatar
Kenswing Kenswing is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: We're Here!
Posts: 7,366
Thanks: 1,449
Thanked 4,804 Times in 2,090 Posts
Default

I’m a Boomer and I’m ready.
__________________
Birthdays Are Good For You. Statistics Show the More That You Have The Longer You Will Live..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
 
Old 03-19-2023, 07:02 AM
ThirdOfFive ThirdOfFive is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,791
Thanks: 641
Thanked 2,909 Times in 993 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
“Long-term care costs represent “the single largest financial risk” facing seniors and their families….

A wave of Americans has been reaching retirement age largely unprepared for the extraordinary costs of specialized care. These aging baby boomers — 73 million strong, the oldest of whom turn 77 this year — pose an unprecedented challenge to the U.S. economy, as individual families shoulder an increasingly ruinous financial burden with little help from stalemated policymakers in Washington.

The dilemma is particularly vexing for those in the economic middle. They can’t afford the high costs of care on their own, yet their resources are too high for them to qualify for federal safety-net insurance. An estimated 18 million middle-income boomers will require care for moderate to severe needs but be unable to pay for it.

“It’s this really enormous financial bomb sitting out there that most people are just hoping won’t hit them,” said Marc A. Cohen, co-director of the LeadingAge LTSS Center at the University of Massachusetts at Boston. “There’s an incredible amount of confusion and denial.””

What should be done?

https://wapo.st/42pxufs
What should be done? What CAN be done?

LTC insurance is available but if it is a new policy purchased by a person at or near retirement age is VERY expensive and is more so as one ages. But there are other options out there: the frailties of aging don't necessarily mean that nursing home/memory care placement is mandatory. Personal Care Attendant care in-home is available most places and is nickels and dimes compared to actual institutional care. Spouses can be taught to see to at least some of the increased needs of the other person.

Dad always said that if he knew he was in for a long dying process he'd take an airplane for one last ride. He never got the chance: Parkinson's meant a nursing home stay of eight years before he finally passed away. Mom however did have the opportunity. In her eighties, diabetes, bad heart, cancer survivor, diminished ambulation. She lived with my sister. One day at home she fell and broke her leg. She knew she was looking at a long bedridden time and the chances of the leg healing correctly were slim. So she called the company that monitored her pacemaker and asked them to turn hers off.

She was dead the next day.

She made the right choice.
 

Tags
care, financial, boomers, costs, high
Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.