Senior Citizens net worth

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:07 PM
Chatbrat Chatbrat is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,424
Thanks: 0
Thanked 980 Times in 377 Posts
Default Senior Citizens net worth

According a report released by the census bureau on Mon--the average household headed by a person over 65 has 47 times more wealth than a household headed by a 35 year old

Makes you wonder who should be getting age related discounts--looks like fixed income , won't float
  #2  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Number 10 GI Number 10 GI is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 766
Thanks: 1,936
Thanked 1,440 Times in 385 Posts
Default

I don't understand what the census bureau is trying demonstrate with this. Most young people are still paying off their home, raising kids, student loan and paying the bills. Big Duh here, naturally someone over 65 will have more wealth because their home is paid off, their savings/investments have grown over the years, and they aren't raising kids. Just more class warfare garbage.
  #3  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:17 PM
fishon fishon is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 171
Thanks: 9
Thanked 119 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Sounds reasonable to me.
At age 35 my mortgage was nearly equal to my assets.
Net zero.
  #4  
Old 11-26-2019, 03:45 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,860
Thanks: 316
Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
According a report released by the census bureau on Mon--the average household headed by a person over 65 has 47 times more wealth than a household headed by a 35 year old

Makes you wonder who should be getting age related discounts--looks like fixed income , won't float
47 times doesn't sound correct. Can you provide a link to the census report? This is the latest data I could find for household wealth on the Census website:

Age of Householder Net Worth
Less than 35 years $8,854
35 to 44 years 57,600
45 to 54 years 104,300
55 to 64 years 178,300
65 years and over 201,500
65 to 69 years 197,500
70 to 74 years 218,200
75 and over 193,600
  #5  
Old 11-26-2019, 04:32 PM
rjm1cc's Avatar
rjm1cc rjm1cc is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,958
Thanks: 48
Thanked 166 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Where did the census bureau get this information? As far as I know no governmental body knows my net worth. The IRS knows my taxable income but the census bureau should not be able to access my IRS information.
  #6  
Old 11-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Luv2Bretired Luv2Bretired is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Towson, Maryland
Posts: 45
Thanks: 111
Thanked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Most folks start out with little as young adults. It takes time and the power of compound interest to build net worth. Whether the number is twenty or two hundred times does not matter. Too, many Baby Boomers inherited a lot and their children should inherit more as the economy has grown since WWII.
  #7  
Old 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is online now
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 6,429
Thanks: 277
Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,046 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
47 times doesn't sound correct. Can you provide a link to the census report? This is the latest data I could find for household wealth on the Census website:

Age of Householder Net Worth
Less than 35 years $8,854
35 to 44 years 57,600
45 to 54 years 104,300
55 to 64 years 178,300
65 years and over 201,500
65 to 69 years 197,500
70 to 74 years 218,200
75 and over 193,600



Agree, doesn't pass the sniff test.


Here is 2016: Wealth, Asset Ownership, & Debt of Households Detailed Tables: 2016
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #8  
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM
vintageogauge vintageogauge is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Posts: 2,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,305 Times in 424 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Bretired View Post
Most folks start out with little as young adults. It takes time and the power of compound interest to build net worth. Whether the number is twenty or two hundred times does not matter. Too, many Baby Boomers inherited a lot and their children should inherit more as the economy has grown since WWII.
What exactly do you mean by "too many baby boomers inherited a lot"? I didn't inherit anything, nor did my wife. Although I do know boomers that had inheritances, most of the people I know got very little if anything. We bought our first house when I was 22, not an expensive house, and paid it off when I was 26 with no help from my family or friends. I worked a mediocre job full time back then, I also had a part time job and did farm hand work on Saturdays, my wife had a part time job and took care of our daughter. I can still remember when I was very young my parents celebrating that they paid off their mortgage and they did it the same way we did. My parents savings went to nursing homes and there was nothing left at the end. My father struggled with Alzheimers for more than a decade and would not take financial advice from anyone regarding protecting his assets. Unfortunate but that was his way, his way or no way.
  #9  
Old 11-26-2019, 08:09 PM
blueash's Avatar
blueash blueash is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,342
Thanks: 118
Thanked 1,130 Times in 304 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We bought our first house when I was 22, not an expensive house, and paid it off when I was 26 with no help from my family or friends. I worked a mediocre job full time back then, I also had a part time job and did farm hand work on Saturdays, my wife had a part time job and took care of our daughter.
Therein is an important point about a huge difference in the American economy in the last 40 - 50 years. There is absolutely no way that a couple working mediocre jobs and part time jobs can afford a house, much less pay it off in 4 years. Home ownership used to be a major contributor to upward mobility. It no longer is an option for those without a good paying job, or two good paying jobs.
__________________
I was a stranger and you WELCOMED ME : Matt 25:35, real Christianity
  #10  
Old 11-26-2019, 11:04 PM
JoMar JoMar is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,019
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1,348 Times in 509 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Where did the census bureau get this information? As far as I know no governmental body knows my net worth. The IRS knows my taxable income but the census bureau should not be able to access my IRS information.
We might all be surprised if we knew what the government (or corporate America) knows about us.
__________________
No one believes the truth when the lie is more interesting

Berks County Pennsylvania
  #11  
Old 11-26-2019, 11:26 PM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is online now
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 2,245
Thanks: 902
Thanked 1,952 Times in 625 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
According a report released by the census bureau on Mon--the average household headed by a person over 65 has 47 times more wealth than a household headed by a 35 year old

Makes you wonder who should be getting age related discounts--looks like fixed income , won't float
Data that is published by the government that can later be used to justify slashing seniors social security and Medicare benefits. Doesn’t smell good to me.
  #12  
Old 11-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Cranford61 Cranford61 is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 95
Thanks: 4
Thanked 67 Times in 37 Posts
Default

There are some lower priced homes on the “Historic Side”.
  #13  
Old 11-27-2019, 07:58 AM
Jackie Neighbor Jackie Neighbor is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

That may apply to married couples with 2 incomes but when you lose your spouse and 1/2 of your income, it is very hard to make the money stretch far enough.
  #14  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Luv2Bretired Luv2Bretired is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Towson, Maryland
Posts: 45
Thanks: 111
Thanked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
What exactly do you mean by "too many baby boomers inherited a lot"? I didn't inherit anything, nor did my wife. Although I do know boomers that had inheritances, most of the people I know got very little if anything. We bought our first house when I was 22, not an expensive house, and paid it off when I was 26 with no help from my family or friends. I worked a mediocre job full time back then, I also had a part time job and did farm hand work on Saturdays, my wife had a part time job and took care of our daughter. I can still remember when I was very young my parents celebrating that they paid off their mortgage and they did it the same way we did. My parents savings went to nursing homes and there was nothing left at the end. My father struggled with Alzheimers for more than a decade and would not take financial advice from anyone regarding protecting his assets. Unfortunate but that was his way, his way or no way.
I did not write “too many”. I wrote “too, many”. Huge difference in meaning minus the comma.

Good on you. My personal story is similar. I started working part time bagging groceries at 14. Although I inherited very little many of my contemporaries have inherited meaningful sums.
  #15  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Chateau Chateau is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Agree
Closed Thread

Tags
headed, household, makes, year, fixed

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.