Series Like The Mentalist or Monk?

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Those are two of our favorite series of all time. Good, thoughtful, plots in each episode. Ongoing plots related to main characters. Never too violent or nasty. Regular really good touches of humor...even an underlying humorous edge at all times.

We would love to find something similar, ideally with a few seasons already in the can so we can watch it for a while. But we'd consider a new series also.

Your input is appreciated as usual.
"Yellowstone" is good. It is a modern cowboy drama. It has sex and violence in it (if that is bothersome). it shows Native Americans as a spectrum from the very wealthy to the very poor. Same for whites. And some minor parts for Black Americans. It is on Peacock.
........"Alpha house" is a high quality but light comedy about US Senators. It parodies and exaggerates some actual events and has a few real-life politicians come in for small cameos. It is on Prime.
.........."the Expanse" is a good choice for sci/fi fans (very realistic with good graphics) It is also on Prime.
.........."One Night in Miami" is also on Prime. It is from the era when Cassius Clay converted to Mohammed Ali. it imagines the dialogue of a meeting between Ali, Sam Cook, Jim Brown, and Malcolm X. It would be a good watch for history buffs and nostalgia buffs. Some good music by Sam Cook. Also, the acting is very good!
Old 01-20-2021, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Those are two of our favorite series of all time. Good, thoughtful, plots in each episode. Ongoing plots related to main characters. Never too violent or nasty. Regular really good touches of humor...even an underlying humorous edge at all times.

We would love to find something similar, ideally with a few seasons already in the can so we can watch it for a while. But we'd consider a new series also.

Your input is appreciated as usual.
You might prefer "Bosch" which is on Prime and 4 seasons of well-executed crime drama with perfectly cast actors and normally a good dramatic tension in the air. Also. very clever cop-type humor
Old 01-20-2021, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Jack Ryan is a very good series on Amazon.

Black Sails had 4 seasons. I looked and it's not on Hulu any longer, but is on Starz at a price.
Jack Ryan IS very good!
Old 01-20-2021, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
The best crime shows by far are NOT made in the U.S. (just my opinion). Britbox & Acorn streaming services offer the best in British programming. If you don't mind subtitles Prime has the most foreign language detective shows ever! You would especially enjoy Professor T., a Belgian TV drama series set in Antwerp about an eccentric professor at Antwerp University, Jasper Teerlinck, who is an advisor to the police. The Scandinavian countries make excellent detective shows. You quickly adapt to reading subtitles.
The Swedish (I think) series "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" was superlative! I give it 5 Stars.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:16 PM

"Sneaky Pete" via James Spader too.
Google for streamers carrying it.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
The best crime shows by far are NOT made in the U.S. (just my opinion). Britbox & Acorn streaming services offer the best in British programming. If you don't mind subtitles Prime has the most foreign language detective shows ever! You would especially enjoy Professor T., a Belgian TV drama series set in Antwerp about an eccentric professor at Antwerp University, Jasper Teerlinck, who is an advisor to the police. The Scandinavian countries make excellent detective shows. You quickly adapt to reading subtitles.
I prefer subtitles in addition to the audio even for English language films because as I age, I have lost a lot of the high-frequency end of the audio spectrum.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:45 PM
Default Flea market

Does the villages hold a flea market any time during the year where are the residents can participate in selling merchandise
Old 01-20-2021, 03:28 PM

Psych is a great show--especially the first few seasons. Life in Pieces is on Hulu--very funny show, but you have to watch several episodes to really appreciate it.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:34 PM
Location: Brooklyn O; NYC; Cambridge, Ma; London, UK; Martha's Vineyard Is.; Newburyport, Ma; The Villages
Default House, Elementary, Balthazar

I agree- I like programs with intelligent main characters solving a puzzle. Some of my favorites have been 'Elementary' and 'House' of course. Lots of people seem to love 'Vera' but I find I don't want to get into her head. Lately I've been watching 'Balthazar' streaming on Acorn. Brilliant and very appealing forensic examiner solves crimes, some rather lurid, for the police. It's in French with English subtitles (also fun if you know some French and want to catch up on modern slang and naughty words.

Wish there were more programs with smart characters but it takes smart writers to write them.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofjersey View Post
Does the villages hold a flea market any time during the year where are the residents can participate in selling merchandise
You might want to start a thread on that instead of hijacking this one.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:38 PM
Default A good series

"The Americans" was a terrific series.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
Psych is a great show-..
Agree. Another of our all time favorites.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 AM

Goliath, with Billy Bob Thornton, is excellent (Amazon Prime?). Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is also pretty good.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Goliath, with Billy Bob Thornton, is excellent (Amazon Prime?). Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is also pretty good.
Two excellent shows that we are hoping will be back
Old 01-21-2021, 11:56 AM

Monk was a favorite of mine!
Closed Thread

Tags
series, plots, good, love, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.