Seriously: What constitutes a life well-lived?

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2022, 05:44 AM
Veteran member

When you come into the world your crying and everyone else is smiling, when you leave your smiling and everyone else is crying
Old 09-16-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I always hear parents say that having kids was their greatest achievement. I never got to do that, so perhaps teaching may have been mine. Inspiring the next generation to be the best version of themselves, taking on their future with courage, dedication, ethics, fairness and optimism is what I tried to 'achieve'.
My great achievement was developing a relationship with God. His love brought me through all the bumps in the road. He taught me how to give unconditional love and how to forgive .
Old 09-16-2022, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

A life well lived is defined by one’s character rather than accomplishments. The best of characters are shaped when the focus is on God’s love and His ultimate desire for us.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:48 AM

Reflections on Aging by Edwin W Truesdale
When my hair is thin and silvered
And my time of toil is through
When I’ve many years behind me
And ahead of me is few
I shall want to sit I reckon
Sort of dreaming in the sun
And recall the roads I’ve traveled
And the many things I’ve done.

I hope there is no picture
That I’ll hate to look upon,
When the time to paint it better
Or to wipe it out is gone.
I hope there’ll be no vision
Of a hasty word I’ve said
That has left a trail of sorrow
Like a whip welt sore and red.

And I hope my old age dreaming
Will bring back no bitter scene
Of a time when I was selfish
Or a time when I was mean.
When I’m getting old and feeble
And I’m far along life’s way
I don’t want to sit regretting
Any bygone yesterday.

I am painting now the picture
That I’ll one day want to see
I am filling in the canvas
That will soon come back to me.
Though nothing great is on it
And though nothing there is fine
I shall want to look it over
When I’m old, and call it mine.
So I do not dare to leave it
While the paint is warm and wet
With a single thing upon it
That I later will regret.
Old 09-16-2022, 07:09 AM
Platinum member
Default Defending your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57alleymae View Post
my great achievement was developing a relationship with god. His love brought me through all the bumps in the road. He taught me how to give unconditional love and how to forgive .
what you call " bumps" i call if you don't get on your knees , god will put you them, one way or another. Our grading our lives is not the real issue. The answer to your query is , are you prepared to meet your maker?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220916_080759.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	95099  
Old 09-16-2022, 07:17 AM

2022 0916 Friday @ 07:57
It seems to me that some move through life keeping a lot of the bad alongside the good. What I am referring to are the memories of the bad being kept alongside the good. My default is not that way. My default is to keep the good in mind (and heart).

With that in mind, I see the accumulation of years and their memories as a whole lot of good. That is how I feel. That is how I feel when asked to reflect on the past.

I do like the response above about looking at one's children. I do so enjoy seeing my two children get together (one girl and one boy [young woman and young man; nine years apart]). They live in different countries (my son lives in TV; she lives in Florence, IT). When they are together, they are amazing.

Also
I am not so sure regarding the post about the queen (having lived a "full" life). She compromised nearly all of her life. She was "always" the queen and, as such, had no opinion (vs Charles who advocates, for example, for climate intervention, etc.). The queen was expected to be a queen, which she did exceptionally. She just didn't t have much of an opportunity to "let her hair down."

I suggest that keeping one's spirit elevated requires jettisoning those who would "bring you down." However, if in the presence of one who would do so (even if married to one of that ilk), I would suggest calling upon your formidable resources, like resiliency (and selective dementia).

If you can not find peace in a garden, through all of its seasons, you may have missed something in this life.

To those who reach for God to "find their place," I wonder how your life would have unfolded in the absence of God. Simply stated, what if a few turn of events through life would have bypassed religious education? What if you "didn't know" religion? Would you have found happiness? Would you have been fulfilled? I am not "educated in religion." However, I take exceptional joy in all the God has provided. I am so very thankful for the opportunity to live my life and I do look to Him (Her) who has made it possible.

Life has been wonderful to date. As one said it above, it isn't over. There is so much yet to experience. I will definitely find joy in today, and tomorrow, and the day after....
Old 09-16-2022, 07:25 AM

Then don’t answer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Could not care less
Old 09-16-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
If you did more good than harm. If you made more friends than enemies. If you brought more joy than sorrow. If someone misses you when you're gone, then you did pretty well in my book. 🌈🙏
Agree wonderful answer
Old 09-16-2022, 08:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,177 Times in 758 Posts

Riding this train to the last station to see where I end up .
Old 09-16-2022, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
When you come into the world your crying and everyone else is smiling, when you leave your smiling and everyone else is crying
Exactly what I would have liked to say!

Little more specifically; having adventures, good friends, a loving family, having contributed. Feeling that you have done or are doing, right now, what you really want to do. And leaving a legacy in a way that you may be remembered the way you want people to think of you.

You don’t need me to quote the Bible, someone else has done it (which I believe in, by the way). So I will quote what the famous Hell’s Angel, Sonny Barger, said on his dying day: “Keep your head high, stay loyal, remain free, and always value honor.”

Last edited by Velvet; 09-16-2022 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
Just as I was born in London, Hitler started bombing us!
Old 09-16-2022, 08:30 AM

Quite sure you did a great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I always hear parents say that having kids was their greatest achievement. I never got to do that, so perhaps teaching may have been mine. Inspiring the next generation to be the best version of themselves, taking on their future with courage, dedication, ethics, fairness and optimism is what I tried to 'achieve'.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Default The crystal ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideronthestorm View Post
as we approach the twilight of our lives it is easy to reflect upon the quality of the life we have lived; memorable achievements, things we didn't do or wished we had, lasting legacies, etc. I think it would be very interesting to discuss what village residents, experienced with life, consider a life well-lived; not the usual cheap cliches such as "accumulating the most toys" or even financial wealth which is but one small measure of success, but rather diverse and meaningful measures of a good life spent; things that will bring a smile to your face when your time ultimately comes. Serious thoughts villagers?
when faces come out of the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220916_092920.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	95103  
Old 09-16-2022, 09:54 AM
Default Life Changing Book & Web Site PLUS LAUGHTER - The Lighter Side of Life

Read this book: Gary Zukav "Seat of the Soul" to understand life. You'll find the answer to your post and so will all the repliers!
Here's the web site: Home - The Seat of the Soul Institute

On the lighter side, come laugh your troubles away.
Improv 2022 - Show on Friday 10/28/22 6PM-7:30PM

Ticket Information:
Improv 2022 - Show on Friday 10-28-22 Tickets, Rohan Regional Recreation Center, The Villages, October 28 2022 | AllEvents.in

To Purchase Tickets:
Book Tickets

For more information contact: Mike Roth 513-646-6523
Old 09-16-2022, 09:58 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Accumulating 5,000 posts on ToTV.

Tags
life, things, toys, success, measure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.