Shame on Starbucks

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2019, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts
Default Shame on Starbucks

There is a national news story about a policeman who ordered coffee at a Starbucks in Oklahoma on Thanksgiving. A Starbucks employee printed a receipt on the cup that said "PIG". Starbucks said that this was not appropriate, so they "suspended" the employee. Really? So, they still want this employee to continue working for them? Why would Starbucks want someone with these outrageous views and customer disrespect working for them ever. Why didn't they fire the employee immediately?
Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There is a national news story about a policeman who ordered coffee at a Starbucks in Oklahoma on Thanksgiving. A Starbucks employee printed a receipt on the cup that said "PIG". Starbucks said that this was not appropriate, so they "suspended" the employee. Really? So, they still want this employee to continue working for them? Why would Starbucks want someone with these outrageous views and customer disrespect working for them ever. Why didn't they fire the employee immediately?
Suspended pending an investigation. That's really important. They'll find out if the barista who was logged in when the order was made, is actually the barista who took the order. In retail it's not common, but it does happen - someone goes on a break and forgets to log out, and the person filling in for them just keeps ringing on the break-person's login.

Not saying it happened that way, but the server would have to be some kind of stupid, OR be planning in rage-quitting his job anyway, for him to put that on the ticket that has his own login on it.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I could investigate this in about 30 minutes.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I could investigate this in about 30 minutes.
No need to any investigation for me anyway. I think you can still take people at their word without a link or attachment. If you possibly ever made a mistake I'm sure you would straighten it out. You are always accurate. For now, let's assume your story is spot on.

Did they happen to mention if the person was kneeling when they handed out the receipt with that filthy word on it to the officer and was the employee's name Colon?

Fire whoever is guilty. That's justice enough IMHO! OR A public apology would also solve the problem. It is the Holidays!
Old 11-30-2019, 12:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

After hearing the story I would boycott Starbucks, but I can't since I have never been to one to begin with. Why would someone pay such an outrageous price for a cup of coffee when you can pop in a tasty K-cup that costs about 33 cents?
Old 11-30-2019, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
After hearing the story I would boycott Starbucks, but I can't since I have never been to one to begin with. Why would someone pay such an outrageous price for a cup of coffee when you can pop in a tasty K-cup that costs about 33 cents?
Great idea. Our kids are crazy for Star Bucks but they already quietly stopped going to Starbucks because of this issue. Probably won't last more than a few weeks though, they are weak. We'll see!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

OP.............statement made prior to investigation.

There are so many employee-protection laws, Starbutt must work thru their internal process so they can terminate this employee appropriately and minimize risk.

Suspend, investigate (a/k/a document) and terminate.

This is such a minor story, we may never hear the final outcome. One individual making a mistake in life. This is not a Starbutt issue.

Full Disclosure: I hate Starbutt coffee. I'm not a stockholder.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

You're Fired!
Starbucks has fired employee who gave Oklahoma officer order with 'PIG' printed on the label, company says - CNN

Steve
Old 11-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

permissive attitudes and tolerance for wrong doing to avoid the risk of upsetting someone is a debilitating disease that has become epidemic.
Wrong (or right) has become less the measure!
Old 11-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
permissive attitudes and tolerance for wrong doing to avoid the risk of upsetting someone is a debilitating disease that has become epidemic.
Wrong (or right) has become less the measure!

agree

the investigation/documentation process was always a pain.....just to avoid/minimize litigation.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I SO agree with your statement, above, tophcfa.

I had forgotten why I had bad feelings filed somewhere in my brain about Starbucks. It was an earlier stand on a similar "social issue" a couple of years ago.

I never paid any attention to stuff like this before but calling an officer of the law "Pig" is a very disrespectful to the folks who put their lives on the line for us every day and night, 365 a year.

We all know that not all people in a profession are good people, but I feel that there has been an exaggerated publicity about "BAD" police officers in the last few years. And the "pen" is very mighty. And the "pen" is controlled by groups with whom I don't agree with anymore, a lot of the time.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Universal Studios temporarily denies entrance to patron who wore 'retired police officer' shirt

Vincent Champion, 55, a 22-year law enforcement veteran of the Ormond Beach Police Department who retired in 2009, told Fox News he was stopped by theme park officials Nov. 1 when he attempted to enter Universal Studios during a Halloween Horrors Night themed event.

Champion was wearing a T-shirt that read “retired police officer” on the front, and the phrase, “My time in uniform is over, but my watch never ends” on the back, according to Fox News. The shirt also had a design containing a skull with a blue line through it, representing police, the network reported.

“I have never been treated this badly,'' Champion told the Orlando Sentinel. "It’s usually quite the opposite.”

In a statement, officials at Universal Studios said they have tremendous respect for law enforcement, but they said they were concerned guests might have confused him for an actual police officer, according to The Associated Press.

One bystander offered Champion his shirt, which the retired officer put on, the AP reported. However, Champion was told he could not carry his own shirt into the park.

"The wonderful group of people behind us lost their minds as we stood in shock," Holly Bickel, who accompanied Champion to the theme park, wrote on Facebook. "They explained how disrespectful they were being to someone who puts their life on the line to protect people and could not believe they were treating him this way for a shirt.

"They then gave Vince an expensive Columbia shirt and thanked him for his service," Bickel wrote. "Vince then went to change shirts. While still standing in line, (the park official didn’t explain to him that he needed to put the shirt in the car and cannot take the shirt into the park."

The Villages Florida

I also recently read on Facebook, but I'm unable to find the story. Three active duty Jacksonville Police Officers were denied entrance to Universal Studios for wearing T-Shirts that had reference to them being police. Universal said, we don't want the patrons to think these men are on duty. They responded, as a police we're always on duty. They finally got into the park when patrons in line behind them gave them shirts they could wear over top.

BTW - I've never had a Starbucks in my life, I do like coffee but I drink it at home.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

We stopped going to Starbucks years ago because of what we perceived to be their far left culture...
Old 11-30-2019, 09:51 AM
Thumbs down Remember When !!!

Remember when Starbucks said they would not ship to our troops overseas ?????

Remember when Starbucks asked several police officers to leave because they were making their customers nervous ???

I have never entered one nor will I ever !!!!
Old 11-30-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
the investigation/documentation process was always a pain.....just to avoid/minimize litigation.
No, the investigation/documentation process is to protect innocent people from adverse consequences. It is as old as our Constitution and one of the bedrocks of our Nation. It is why we honor justice and condemn mob rule. It is why we abhor dictators, and don't even have a favorite dictator. It protects the weak and the poor from being trampled by the strong and the rich. It is the essence of America and the real meaning of liberty.

Tags
starbucks, employee, working, customer, fire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.