'Shocking’: 66% of new coronavirus patients in N.Y. stayed home: Cuomo

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2020, 08:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvic 1 View Post
So your saying it was good decision by the Governor of NY to send sick Corona-19 people to stay in the most concerned elderly nursing homes. While the Jacob's Javtis Convention Center and the Navy ship with thousands of empty hospital beds sit in NY and wait for patients that never came?
Get out of my head

But he has lots of empathy and talks pretty.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
How can this be
It's very simple. It's simple mathematics. The vast majority of people in New York are staying home.

If 90% of the people are staying home you can expect that most of the cases of anything are going to be had by people that are staying home.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

"Staying home"?
What does it mean?
Not going to work or school?

What if it was defined as not leaving the premises in which one lives.
Never encountering another person who does not live there....who also stays home.
All needs are delivered by a service of some sort.
All that enters the "home" is groceries, mail, Amazon boxes, etc.
Decontaminate everything that comes in from outside the home.

Hypothetical? Not really. That is pretty much how we have hunkered down from day one!!

Scared? No. At 83 just being smart using guidelines and common sense.

There is nothing we need to do so bad that we would put ourselves at risk to do......it will be there when this passes.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

And these means what? I do not know but could it be that someone in the household intermixed infrequently with the general public so it took more weeks for the virous to get to them.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:22 PM

"Stayed home" can mean many things. In a single family home you have room for a decontamination space, you have a garage . You can be isolated from anyone not living in your household and most likely any members in your household are not working.

It is quite a bit different here. To get my mail/deliveries that is in a communal spot. I can work from home but most of the people in my building(luckily small just 8units) have to go to work. There are 2 units with older people, one is multi generational the other their children bring them what they need. Since you can be asymptomatic and still transmit the virus it is not that hard to see how one can get it.

You also still might have to venture out. While I can easily schedule deliveries from Publix for Dad that is not the case here. Delivery slots are hard to come by, with any store. In fact, I have been waiting 3weeks for Whole Foods to get back to me with a time to order groceries. In the month of April I had 3 hours of travel: grocery store, drug store,take out garbage and get mail.

Still I am lucky, even though I can't see Dad, my son or daughter in law in person. I can get many things delivered, I have the means so I don't have to take the bus or trains. I was able to order masks when they became required. While I have limited storage I can Still have enough for 2 weeks without going to the store. I managed to see Dad before visitors were not allowed at assisted living facilities and I know he is safe.

So I can see how this can happen.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,008 Times in 1,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
"Staying home"?
What does it mean?
Not going to work or school?

What if it was defined as not leaving the premises in which one lives.
Never encountering another person who does not live there....who also stays home.
All needs are delivered by a service of some sort.
All that enters the "home" is groceries, mail, Amazon boxes, etc.
Decontaminate everything that comes in from outside the home.

Hypothetical? Not really. That is pretty much how we have hunkered down from day one!!

Scared? No. At 83 just being smart using guidelines and common sense.

There is nothing we need to do so bad that we would put ourselves at risk to do......it will be there when this passes.
And it also applies to getting a haircut etc .... please....
Old 05-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
So let's see, 150,000 villagers times 3.7% equals 5500 deaths in The Villages. So far there's been maybe 20 or so. That's about 10 per month since it started here. If it lasts two years you get 240. Isn't math wonderful?
Do the math for the city of Miami. Then realizing how CONTAGIOUS CV really is, call 240 the low range and 5,500 the high range. Everyone, for themselves, must decide how dangerous it is. But, one person does NOT exist in a vacuum. The person who believes that it is dangerous will try hard to not spread it to the larger society. If they are wrong, no problem. If you think that it will be on the low range and you will act normal. If that is wrong society suffers. It could also rebound onto the ones acting normal. The proper path will not be known for some time.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Do the math for the city of Miami. Then realizing how CONTAGIOUS CV really is, call 240 the low range and 5,500 the high range. Everyone, for themselves, must decide how dangerous it is. But, one person does NOT exist in a vacuum. The person who believes that it is dangerous will try hard to not spread it to the larger society. If they are wrong, no problem. If you think that it will be on the low range and you will act normal. If that is wrong society suffers. It could also rebound onto the ones acting normal. The proper path will not be known for some time.
And then the numbers will not impress us at all just like the flu:

2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates | CDC
Old 05-09-2020, 06:55 PM
Unhappy Ummm . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
ALBANY — The majority of recently hospitalized coronavirus patients in New York are people who have followed the precaution of staying home, Gov. Cuomo said Wednesday.[/url]
I suspect that MANY people had the virus hibernating within them way back in November or December of 2019. First of all, it was virus holiday during that time. Secondly, if it is absolutely true that all or most of these people did NOT go out to see NOT EVEN ONE other person (and maybe they don't even have a pet), then there are very few ways they could have gotten the virus, I would think. This fracking virus is so hugely powerful, I wonder if we wouldn't have had it better with small box again.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, people, 66%, cuomo, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.