Shoes on or Shoes off?

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Sage
Smile

If you have a big party and all your guests take off their shoes, your floors better be clean because each pair of socks will act as a dust mop.

Warning: No socks on laminate flooring, especially when running with scissors.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Platinum member

Maybe I could give these out at the door. It would save me some work!
Attached Images
dust-mop-socks-jpg 

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Maybe I could give these out at the door. It would save me some work!
That's a great idea! You could call it a floor-cleaning party.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

I once had an adorable shih-tzu who would bite onto my dust mop and flatten herself and wanted me to swoosh her around the floor. I call that a cooperative effort!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My motherin law has a no shoes policy. I find it annoying. I thought floors were meant to be walked on, with or without shoes. Geesh, what if I hadn't had a pedicure recently?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAllen1290 View Post
I cannot walk without a pair of shoes on, so.....no shoes off for me.
I agree, I have to have shoes on my feet, my legs & back would kill me without shoes. If I am invited to a home and asked to remove my shoes I would have to leave after a few minutes. I would not be able to stand, ever with socks, I have to have support for my tootsies!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Sage

If a person had muddy shoes, I would ask them to remove them.

I would never ask a guest to remove their shoes as they should feel welcome when entering a home.

I personally try to do it myself, as I just like the practice, but would not require someone else to do it.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2cruise View Post
I agree, I have to have shoes on my feet, my legs & back would kill me without shoes. If I am invited to a home and asked to remove my shoes I would have to leave after a few minutes. I would not be able to stand, ever with socks, I have to have support for my tootsies!
A lot of "goldens" have plantar fasciitis or other issues, which require arch support at all times. Some peeps just can't go barefoot!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I really do not want some of my friends shoes off anytime indoors PUweeeee. Sweaty socks are so much better on the floor than shoes?

Maybe hand these out at the door:

Booties

At kitchen entry we make them wear hair nets, makes for some great pictures, yes we are a bit
You ain't right.

but that's o.k. That is the reason most of us love you'uns.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
If you have a big party and all your guests take off their shoes, your floors better be clean because each pair of socks will act as a dust mop.

Warning: No socks on laminate flooring, especially when running with scissors.
I am really enjoying your humorous posts, VPL.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

Spent some years in Hawaii as a child...it was customary to leave our shoes at the front door. We retained that custom upon returning to the states...always removed our shoes in the house, and wore house shoes or slippers. Personally, I'd rather be barefoot. I see all sides to this issue, and I feel everyone is entitled to do what they want in their own home, and while I never come right out and ask a guest to remove their shoes, most follow my example.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I went into the Hagia Sophia in Turkey where we all had to take off our shoes and don plasticized booties before we entered. The stench was enough to cause a goat to expire! From the hundreds of thousands of bare feet on carpet , even though 'bathed' in a fountain before entry . PHEEEWWW!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
On the radio this morning, some Floridians were talking as if it were common to ask personal guests (not repairmen or pest control guys) to remove their shoes at the door when they visit, out of consideration for their light carpeting. They said they might make an exception for formal occasions. Wow!

I know it is part of some Asian cultures, and I would expect it there. And I do prefer repairmen to wear those bootie things.

But for me personally, I wasn't brought up with this as the norm. I guess I would feel I was being rude to ask that, as if my carpet were more important than the guest's comfort. I know my feet get cold easily and a gathering would be much less enjoyable with cold feet.

How about you?
I agree. We always take our shoes off, but I would never think of asking my guests to do the same.

My wife is Asian by the way and she doesn't requests that guests take their shoes off.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
A lot of "goldens" have plantar fasciitis or other issues, which require arch support at all times. Some peeps just can't go barefoot!
I guess that will be me. We will have to change the shoes off normal for this house.

I twisted my ankle early this fall and it wasn't getting better so I finally went to the Dr. and he says I have to wear shoes with orthodics to give a good arch and a firm shoe from now on.
We rarely wear shoes unless it's really cold and the no sandals or loafers rule he laid down is going to require me to really change as I got out of the habit of serious shoes when living in Hawaii. I sometimes have to remind hubby not to take his shoes off if the host doesn't because he does it without thinking as all houses in Hawaii are no shoes. A lot have cubbies or baskets next to the doors for peoples shoes.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
My motherin law has a no shoes policy. I find it annoying. I thought floors were meant to be walked on, with or without shoes. Geesh, what if I hadn't had a pedicure recently?
That was cute. Also, what if someone had athlete's foot or toenail fungus?
Can't win.

However, up north here (similar to the Canadians) everyone does take their shoes off at the door , in the foyer, etc. Common sense in a snowy climate with all kinds of sand and salt* on the roads and driveways and steps leading to the front door.

Salt / calcium chloride, etc. in the winter months.

Not to mention MUD SEASON in the springtime. This past year there were three mud seasons......thaw, freeze, thaw, etc., etc. Lots of dirt roads up here. Kids play outdoors and track it all in. They automatically remove their shoes at the front door, in the foyer.

We have carpeting throughout and tile in the kitchen and bathrooms.
People just enjoy walking around in their socks or barefoot. We would never force them to do so........they just do it "out of habit" as it's what they do in their own homes.

Even our carpenters take their shoes off; our plumbers, etc.
It's the way their mothers taught them.

Different strokes for different folks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.