Shoes on or Shoes off?

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
A lot of "goldens" have plantar fasciitis or other issues, which require arch support at all times. Some peeps just can't go barefoot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I guess that will be me. We will have to change the shoes off normal for this house.

I twisted my ankle early this fall and it wasn't getting better so I finally went to the Dr. and he says I have to wear shoes with orthodics to give a good arch and a firm shoe from now on.
We rarely wear shoes unless it's really cold and the no sandals or loafers rule he laid down is going to require me to really change as I got out of the habit of serious shoes when living in Hawaii. I sometimes have to remind hubby not to take his shoes off if the host doesn't because he does it without thinking as all houses in Hawaii are no shoes. A lot have cubbies or baskets next to the doors for peoples shoes.
I am one of those who needs constant arch support. But Trudy... try sandals made by Naot or Mephisto. Most have good arch support plus a cork footbed that over a bit of time conforms to the contour of your foot. They are pricey, but they work for inside the house and shopping, etc. (Not for pickleball or taking a walk, of course!)

I'm sure there are other brands as well, but these two are my favorites.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am one of those who needs constant arch support. But Trudy... try sandals made by Naot or Mephisto. Most have good arch support plus a cork footbed that over a bit of time conforms to the contour of your foot. They are pricey, but they work for inside the house and shopping, etc. (Not for pickleball or taking a walk, of course!).
I know this thread is about shoe etiquette, but I just have to say that my two favorite sandals are Naot and MephistoMobils. And I do wear them for taking a walk. Most of the insoles are removeable, so if you have your own orthotics, you can use them.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:25 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I know this thread is about shoe etiquette, but I just have to say that my two favorite sandals are Naot and MephistoMobils. And I do wear them for taking a walk. Most of the insoles are removeable, so if you have your own orthotics, you can use them.
Thanks for the info I will check it out as I have to go buy shoes this week to conform to the new law set down by the doctor.
I have worn echos in recent years that have an arch but doc said I needed heel counter rigidity at least for the next six months so I guess a fairly rigid walking shoe at least for now.

I still am going to have trouble getting use to wearing shoes in the house. My mother in-law must be turning in her grave she was convinced that shoes worn in the house brought bad luck. "Never wear your shoes in the house, because it brings the devil in your house (Hawaiian superstition)"
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
Thanks for the info I will check it out as I have to go buy shoes this week to conform to the new law set down by the doctor.
I have worn echos in recent years that have an arch but doc said I needed heel counter rigidity at least for the next six months so I guess a fairly rigid walking shoe at least for now.

I still am going to have trouble getting use to wearing shoes in the house. My mother in-law must be turning in her grave she was convinced that shoes worn in the house brought bad luck. "Never wear your shoes in the house, because it brings the devil in your house (Hawaiian superstition)"
Good luck to you, Trudy. I don't go barefoot in the house, but wearing anything other than my Mephisto flip flops feels like torture. I hope you will soon get used to it. Having a medical excuse to make a change like that may help with the mental end of it!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Gold member

We never ask guests to remove their shoes. Some do it without prompting and some don't. I don't like removing my shoes when I visit someone else's house so I guess that is why I don't ask others to do it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 PM

We see it more and more. It is definately not rude however. We are in mid atlantic. The trend seems to be catching on. We remove our shoes in Florida.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.