Shrinking Grocery Products

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts
Default Shrinking Grocery Products

Have you noticed the size of the items we buy at the supermarkets just keep getting smaller. Remember when orange juice came in a 64oz container? Well, now the one I buy is down to 51oz's. Go buy some ground coffee to perk at home. In the past you got a pound in the bag. Now some are down to 11oz's. All the while as the sizes shrink, the cost goes up.
The fleecing of America!
Old 12-12-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Except for the shareholders who insist that profits remain so their investments grow.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Default US $ is losing its value

One reason for the higher costs of products and services is that the US dollar is losing its value due to inflation of currency (the more dollars created out of thin air, the less valuable they become). Another reason for price increases are the taxes on corporations. Also, the rules and regulations that business owners must adhere to in order to stay in business. Now, add to that mandatory minimum wages, healthcare costs, etc., and you have price increases that are inevitable and passed on to the consumer.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Oh, for heaven’s sake. Company costs rise, too, and most, if not all are trying to balance price increases with what customers will pay. If you want to pay lots more for a 64-oz bottle of juice, rather than a little bit more for a 51 oz bottle, purchase two 32-oz bottles. I suspect if the company passed along their cost and offered the same 64 oz bottle, you wouldn’t buy it.

It’s easy to hang one’s hat on a catch phrase like “the fleecing of America” but I consider that a knee jerk, naive, uninformed response. Most of us who have a 401k are shareholders of many, many companies. We don’t like to see our 401k account values reduced because company profits are reduced. There’s certainly a lot to say for companies who successfully navigate tough economic decisions.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Products and production costs more each year. To keep the price rises at a reasonable level, companies reduce the amounts in packets.
If the items rose with actual cost, you would scream even louder for your 1lb packet
People want their investmets and wages to rise, but seem to forget that the product and manufacture cost will rise in line with it.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Orange juice cartons went down from 64 ounces to 59 ounces back in 2010. Some of them are down to 52 ounces as of earlier this year. THIS year's change was in part due to Hurricane Irma, which destroyed crops. Tropicana knew that raising the price would result in people switching to cheaper products or simply doing without OJ entirely. So instead, they took 7 ounces of juice out of the container. It's kind of ironic that you're just now noticing though, considering this started over 8 years ago.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:26 PM
Sage
Default Less for more

“They” must think the public is stupid. I’ve been noticing the shrinking products for years. Most visible for me is the cereal boxes. They are so much thinner than they used to be, yet they are charging more. The oz. on many products have decreased. It’s called inflation, which “they” claim there is none. 🤔🤔
Old 12-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

European model, charge more and get less
Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
“They” must think the public is stupid. I’ve been noticing the shrinking products for years. Most visible for me is the cereal boxes. They are so much thinner than they used to be, yet they are charging more. The oz. on many products have decreased. It’s called inflation, which “they” claim there is none. 🤔🤔
I talk about this a lot. Do they think we don’t notice?
Some of the products have shrunk so much you
have to laugh.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 AM
Platinum member

I am 3/4 of an inch shorter than I used to be.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I am 3/4 of an inch shorter than I used to be.
same for some guys after swimming in a cool pool...seinfeld shrinkage...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	B2Wx9qbCQAAGtkt.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	77764  
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage

Remember when you got a large candy bar for a nickle? Remember penny candy that filled a small bag for a dime?? Change happens as manufacturing costs increase. Think of the transportation it takes to bring the items to you as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
same for some guys after swimming in a cool pool...seinfeld shrinkage...
One of the funniest scene ever. As long as it didn't happen to me.

I worked the overnight shift stocking shelves in ShopRite in N.J. and we suddenly noticed many items feeling differently when we were stocking the shelves. The first item was Chock Full Of Nuts Coffee which I believe went from 16 OZS. too 13 OZS. but the price stayed the same. Others followed but my memory says they were mainly cereal.

As long as the food is available I'm good with things shrinking, what are you going to do? If you need the item you will but the lesser amount for a higher price. Great Subject though.

Just don't sell me less than a gallon of gas for the same money, that wouldn't work for me.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Default Inflation-the hidden tax

Rising costs. You must choose as costs go up-raw materials, insurance, labor etc to-raise the price, cut the size, cut the profit, stop producing the product or GO OUT OF BUSINESS. It is that simple.
The FED tells us? they seek a 2% rate of inflation. Another example of THE BIG LIE. How many people ask or wonder why?
Assuming they achieve 2% rate of inflation and hold it-has never been done in history. At 2% rate of inflation fuzzy math but in 36 years it will take two dollars to buy what a dollar buys today.
Inflation favors the debtor-reduces the true value of the amount owed. Our nation currently owes, if you believe the numbers 21 trillion dollars. Another example of the big lie. Most people including me cannot fathom what a trillion dollars is-let alone 21 of them. I read somewhere that it is 65,000 for every man,woman, child and puppy dog in the US. HUM- the cost of OJ, coffee etc goes up. The good news your share of the real money value of 65,000 goes down by 2% by 1,300
Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Orange juice cartons went down from 64 ounces to 59 ounces back in 2010. Some of them are down to 52 ounces as of earlier this year. THIS year's change was in part due to Hurricane Irma, which destroyed crops. Tropicana knew that raising the price would result in people switching to cheaper products or simply doing without OJ entirely. So instead, they took 7 ounces of juice out of the container. It's kind of ironic that you're just now noticing though, considering this started over 8 years ago.
Where do you get the idea that I'm just noticing this now? I've noticed this for years.
Also, this is another post about something!
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, pound, bag, past, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.