Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Sinkholes by county in Florida

A county-by-county look at reported sinkholes in Central Florida
Old 05-27-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I have lived here for ten years. I think anyone who has lived here for years can tell you that no sinkhole goes unnoticed and undiscussed.

I can tell you where every sinkhole past two feet have happened because they scare me too. I imagine that building and pond water weight add to the problem, but anyone who has lived here for a long time can tell you that a sinkhole of note happens about once a year in The Villages.

I will continue to live here and like the rest of us will note that sinkholes are a scary thing, but they do not litter the landscape or happen frequently here in my beloved home town. If it rains several inches tomorrow, we will have another one.

You could be struck by lightning too and have your house burn down. That has happened as frequently here as sinkhole damage. About once a year.

People who are worried should choose California or Hawaii.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Yeah, California may not have sinkholes, but they do have, mudslides, earthquakes and tremendous wildfires, Hawaii has that little volcano thing going on. I think I'll stick with Florida
Old 05-27-2018, 12:46 PM

I think people in the Lopez and Glenview areas would disagree with your report on frequency of sinkholes. Then there is Bellaire, Alhambra, Hacienda...... Santa Domingo..... well, I could go on, but I think you get my drift here.....
Old 05-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Another thing that we can't control so why worry?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

The charts in the report are obviously incomplete/erroneous. There have been numerous sinkholes reported in the Tierra Del Sol Area, near Lopez, a few near Mallory, as well as other villages, that are not shown. Perhaps those are old maps, or else there has not been a good effort to report the sinkholes. In any event, the sinkhole activity most likely would have occurred after The Villages development, because they tend to happen in areas where the groundwater is disturbed due to earth moving or there are changes in water patterns.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Default Thank you

Thanks for sharing the link.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, country, sinkholes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.