Skyline Chili

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Default Skyline Chili

MIssing from The Villages. It's addictive if You've ever lived in Cincinnati. When I was transferred there the greeters took me to a restaurant serving Skyline Chili. My first comment was what is this stuff. Hooked forever!:Go for the five way. Onions and crackers, cheese.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

You can buy it in the frozen section at Publix and Walmart. There was a forum on this and most people hated the chili.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM

It's also available in cans at Wal-Mart and Publix. Great stuff!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Gold member

Nothing beats Tony Packo's

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 02-06-2019, 04:58 PM

I love, love ,love Skyline, but I am from Ohio. It does not taste like the chili many of you have grown up with. I think it is wonderful. The grocery stores down her carry it in a can or the frozen section, it is not as good as the kind they make in Cincinnati. It seems it is too spicy. Every trip to the 'nati includes one if not several trips to Skyline!!!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 PM

you forgot beans ldj1938. I five way includes beans. If you don't like beans, get a 4 way!
Old 02-06-2019, 05:33 PM

When I ate it, I had a three way with a Coney on the side with onions. Lot's of hot sauce. I also liked Gold Star better then Skyline. Probably actually ate Cincinnati Chili two dozen times during the 27 years we lived in the Cincinnati area. I also met people that ate the Chili three days a week for their entire lives.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

The nearest Skyline Chili is in Clearwater.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
When I ate it, I had a three way with a Coney on the side with onions. Lot's of hot sauce. I also liked Gold Star better then Skyline. Probably actually ate Cincinnati Chili two dozen times during the 27 years we lived in the Cincinnati area. I also met people that ate the Chili three days a week for their entire lives.
You did????
Old 02-08-2019, 11:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
I hope you have plenty of Rolaids
Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Recipe for Cincinnati Chili.

As you can see, it has some unusual ingredients and is not meant to be eaten as soup, but over pasta and with a lot of shaved cheddar cheese and raw onion and kidney beans. The recipe is Greek and it appealed to the many German descendants in Cincinnati as well as those who came from all over the world and this country. It is acquired taste as is Goetta, which too has German origins. If we all liked the same thing they would only sell one ice cream flavor. Here is a recipe for this enjoyable meal we eat about once every couple of months.

Authentic Cincinnati Chili Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 02-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
As you can see, it has some unusual ingredients and is not meant to be eaten as soup, but over pasta and with a lot of shaved cheddar cheese and raw onion and kidney beans. The recipe is Greek and it appealed to the many German descendants in Cincinnati as well as those who came from all over the world and this country. It is acquired taste as is Goetta, which too has German origins. If we all liked the same thing they would only sell one ice cream flavor. Here is a recipe for this enjoyable meal we eat about once every couple of months.

Authentic Cincinnati Chili Recipe - Allrecipes.com
I grew up in a suburb of Cincinnati, but my folks were not Skyline fans. I don't remember having it until I moved down to U of Cincinnati. When I had it my first thought was "Wow, I've been missing this my whole life?"..Growing up there weren't any franchises in our suburb, but there are now.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default An Ode to Skyline

I always have thought a Skyline would do really well in TV. Skyline is inexpensive, fast, and addictive.

The restaurants do not require a huge amount of square footage because the tables turn over so fast.

Many of the customers do not take the time to even glance at the menu. They know what they are there for.

We Skyline lovers are used to people making fun of us. But we do not care. (When our son-in-law moved to Cincinnati, he mocked Skyline, said it was weird stuff. It did not take long 'til the Skyline near his job knew him when he walked in and said his order to him before he could say anything. HAH! HAH! HAH!)

I cannot speak for all of them, but the Skylines I have been to are usually squeaky clean. A lot of the work is done in front of a counter with stools for customers. The servers use the little sweepers -- cracker crumbs, etc. The tables are cleared immediately. No piled up dirty dishes anywhere.

(I did hear a rumor of a brief, unfortunate incident, when the crackers were not the same. It was said they had changed suppliers or something. I really do not know. BUT, it did not take long for the usual crackers to be back. People noticed. Skyline listened. Or that is the word on the street anyway.)

I really do think a Skyline, run right, could be a big hit in TV.

(Oh well, enough from me. I need to do things I do not want to do today so I was in search of diversion and started into this thread. And, now, that Skyline song is playing in my head. Please listen, if you dare:

Skyline Chili 2011 - YouTube

Boomer, 4-way, onions on the side

PS: Do not judge Skyline by the grocery store version. It does not do it justice.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-09-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
skyline, chili, serving, stuff, comment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.