Snakes in homes in the Villages?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-26-2008, 12:53 AM
lm01 lm01 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Snakes in homes in the Villages?

I just read the sponsor link on Pest Control. Have you folks ever gotten snakes in your garage or home in the Villages? I didn't think this was a big problem here.
But if you did what kind of snakes are around the Villages?
  #2  
Old 01-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Hope2b Hope2b is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 178
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

Been here since 2002 and have never seen a snake. Now mice, that is another thing!!!!
  #3  
Old 01-26-2008, 01:05 AM
ilovesoup
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

We've had a green patterned 3 foot snake in our yard. Looked it up on the internet and I think it's a Florida garter snake. Also got a baby snake caught in one of those gummy pest catchers on our garage floor by the garage door. We live in Ashland Village. Friends have had snakes who live around preserves. This is their habitat. Hey, if they eat geckos, I'm all for them!
  #4  
Old 01-26-2008, 01:14 AM
nONIE's Avatar
nONIE nONIE is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: De La Vista
Posts: 3,175
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesoup
We've had a green patterned 3 foot snake in our yard. Looked it up on the internet and I think it's a Florida garter snake. Also got a baby snake caught in one of those gummy pest catchers on our garage floor by the garage door. We live in Ashland Village. Friends have had snakes who live around preserves. This is their habitat. Hey, if they eat geckos, I'm all for them!
Hey, Whats wrong with geckos??? They sure do keep the bug population down and I think they are a lot cuter then a snake :yikes:

Not being a floridian yet I would be open to hearing about any harmful things that geckos are responsible for.
__________________
Chicago, Il., Upstate, N.Y. Finally a snow FROG

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
  #5  
Old 01-26-2008, 01:22 AM
lm01 lm01 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 157
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

I see nothing wrong with GEICO :bigthumbsup:
  #6  
Old 01-26-2008, 02:26 AM
gfmucci's Avatar
gfmucci gfmucci is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hadley
Posts: 719
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
Hey, Whats wrong with geckos??? They sure do keep* the bug population down and I think they are a lot cuter then a snake :yikes: Not being a floridian yet I would be open to hearing about any harmful things that geckos are responsible for.
Geckos are great to have around the house... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko And they keep Shelby (left) entertained for hours!
__________________
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
  #7  
Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 AM
REDCART REDCART is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,718
Thanks: 15
Thanked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

Imo1. You may recall that I posted the snake\mice question for Deans a few days ago. During a routine "bug" treatment from Deans, Michelle, their service tech (who is excellent by the way), mentioned that she had just came from a call where she had to remove a black snake from a garage. Didn't seem to faze her in the least. So, when I asked Dean's if the "snakes" were covered, I knew they did that kind of thing but I wasn't sure that it was covered by the contract. The mice thing seems to be sporadic. When they disturb an area during construction, the little fellas go out to find a new home. I've heard mention of someone trapping 17 mice in a CYV, and the next door neighbors having none. I know Dean's is a paid sponsor of TOTV but we've continued to use them because they were listed as the original Termite contractor. We've been extremely Happy with their service and their immediate response times. George
  #8  
Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Villages Kahuna's Avatar
Villages Kahuna Villages Kahuna is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fifteen-year Villager
Posts: 3,132
Thanks: 3
Thanked 287 Times in 76 Posts
Default "My" Snake

I was out doing a little work in the garden today and as I approached the sunniest and warmest side of our house I confronted about a 6-7 foot long, maybe 2-inch diameter totally black snake. After facing off against one another and flipping our tongues (well he did at least), he slithered into the bushes next to our garage.

I guess maybe I'll keep my garage door down now.

Hmmm, I wonder what Massey will do about this? Send out the snake wrangler?
__________________
Politicians are like diapers--they should be changed frequently, and for the same reason.
  #9  
Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Taltarzac
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default Re: "My" Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna
I was out doing a little work in the garden today and as I approached the sunniest and warmest side of our house I confronted about a 6-7 foot long, maybe 2-inch diameter totally black snake. After facing off against one another and flipping our tongues (well he did at least), he slithered into the bushes next to our garage.

I guess maybe I'll keep my garage door down now.

Hmmm, I wonder what Massey will do about this? Send out the snake wrangler?
Saw these often in Palm Harbor, FL. Sounds like a black racer. http://myfwc.com/viewing/species/snakesn.html

Just try not to corner it.
  #10  
Old 01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Villages Kahuna's Avatar
Villages Kahuna Villages Kahuna is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fifteen-year Villager
Posts: 3,132
Thanks: 3
Thanked 287 Times in 76 Posts
Default Yep, That Was Probably A Southern Black Racer...

...he looked just like the description and pictures in the Florida Wildlife Commission article posted below. And once he saw me and was "cornered" while sunning against the wall of my house, he quickly slithered into the bushes...and I mean quickly.

I'll still begin to keep my garage door closed. But at least I don't think I'll be worrying about mice. Too bad we didn't have blacksnakes up north. They might have taken care of teh chipmunks!
__________________
Politicians are like diapers--they should be changed frequently, and for the same reason.
  #11  
Old 01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
gonzy gonzy is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

Had a small snake in the garage one time when I left the screen open think he came in to escape the cold. Have seen a couple other small snakes around house but no worse than up north. The Geckos eat ants so they are my buddies. I live on golf course and seem to have a lot of ants invading from the gc. The GC people don't seem to be very interested in taking care of the ant nests so I've had to deal with them on the Gc property bordering mine.
__________________
Swanzey NH<br />TV
  #12  
Old 01-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,646
Thanks: 1,252
Thanked 170 Times in 120 Posts
Default Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzy
I live on golf course and seem to have a lot of ants invading from the gc. The GC people don't seem to be very interested in taking care of the ant nests so I've had to deal with them on the Gc property bordering mine.
I also live on a golf course and there were fire ant hills on the course directly in back of our yard. I called the GC people and they had it sprayed the same day! :bigthumbsup:
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.