Snopes Offers Apology - Refeshing

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2021, 01:09 PM
John41

[QUOTE=hrenner;1989029]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
Snopes isn't the definitive arbiter of truth. I've seen them be biased many times. They lean left. Check all sides dot com for biases.[/QUOTE

To right wing people, anyone that debunks their conspiracy theories leans left. Snopes is demonized by people whose opinions it proves wrong. As a guy in the middle, I constantly get called a liberal by those on the right and a conservative by those on the left.
Snopes cofounder was caught lying. Had nothing to do with conspiracy theories.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
So, here's the guy who is the co-founder and still CEO of Snopes having to admit he plagiarized tons of articles over quite a few years...but "it's refreshing", according to some here. Unreal.

This is deflection central, of course, because the thread soon turned to those outlets who - according to some - aren't as "refreshing" as this "employee" who holds 50% of the company's stock, as he's been characterized.

Why, those right-wingers and their companies/organizations would never act in such a refreshing way! No siree bub!

Good grief. The guy got caught. End of story. He really had no choice but to admit to it. Well, at least he had a good excuse, right?

"Mikkelson did not immediately return an Associated Press email seeking comment Saturday. He told BuzzFeed his behavior was due to a lack of formal journalism experience".

Prominent fact-checker Snopes apologizes for plagiarism - ABC News

In other words, he just wasn't aware that gratuitously taking the work of others and slapping his pseudonym to it was unethical. If he only knew about formal journalism...

This man is guilty of egregious professional behavior. There's no "refreshing" aspect of him having to admit the obvious. The thing is, everyone here knows it. What would really be "refreshing" would be if those here trying to assuage these acts would actually admit it.

See, what would be refreshing would be people here saying something like "this man has damaged the Snopes brand. He should step down!" Instead, it's "hey, just because he stole the work of others doesn't mean the work isn't true!" Really? That's the take on this? Oy.
Yeah, as we are told......this is simply a sign of being weak. As we have been told, if he just kept saying it, “they” will believe it.

And for what you want “people here” to say.....somebody will.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Thank you, I didn't see any point in pointing that out and just starting another argument, but I am glad you did.

I think I can count on 1 finger the number of times I recall FOX or OAN putting out a retraction.

I bet you didn’t catch CNN retraction. I mean caught cheating with DNC.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
There is no bigger contrast in true ethics/integrity, than that where someone accused of sexual harassment is condemned by those who are even on their 'side,' calling for their resignation - and they resign. Whereas another person is not only accused of sexual harassment (even more cases), but ALSO sexual ASSAULT, in which the person even brags about getting away with sexual assault - and people love them for it.
So what you’re saying it depends on who accused whether victim should be believed. Funny how career pol. Nothing seems to stick isn’t it.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:39 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
There is no bigger contrast in true ethics/integrity, than that where someone accused of sexual harassment is condemned by those who are even on their 'side,' calling for their resignation - and they resign. Whereas another person is not only accused of sexual harassment (even more cases), but ALSO sexual ASSAULT, in which the person even brags about getting away with sexual assault - and people love them for it.
Only a few brave women brought his downfall nothing to do with his own party until it was expedient to get rid of him. The rest of your post is unfounded speculation. And Avonetti went to jail for lying about Stormy.

Last edited by John41; 08-14-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:53 PM
John41

[QUOTE=Topspinmo;1989071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

Well that’s what wrong with two party system. Us against them and there will NEVER be compromise. Get rid of two party system IMO they only hope for this country.
System has worked for over 200 years despite many challenges like the Civil War, two world wars, Vietnam. Sputnik, a major Depression, a financial collapse. Name a one party system that has worked better where you would rather live.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

[QUOTE=John41;1989045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrenner View Post

Snopes cofounder was caught lying. Had nothing to do with conspiracy theories.
Never got that far. He stepped up. More folks who lie and/or enable a liar should step up. Certainly when proven a liar, admit it like a grown up.

What he did is sort of like the copy and paste on this forum, which I believe is not allowed by the rules of the forum unless you allow the real author his due.
Old 08-14-2021, 04:41 PM
TOTV Moderator

It seems some people just can't help themselves from making everything political. Thread closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
snopes, apology, management, senior, apologizing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.