Snowing

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2021, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts
Default Snowing

It was snowing in my home town today. But it didn't last long. After a half hour, it turned to sleet.:1ro tfl:
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Our house up north has 5” on the ground and it is still coming down at about an inch per hour for another 2 or 3 hours. It will be melted by tomorrow afternoon.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Don't care...not going back up north without a court order and first class round trip tickets and a 4 star hotel(no 5 stars in Maine).
Old 04-16-2021, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Anyone here want to buy a snow blower? Will sell below cost.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:57 PM

Snowing up here in Maine right now..
Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It was snowing in my home town today. But it didn't last long. After a half hour, it turned to sleet.:1ro tfl:
Sox game postponed. Double header Sunday.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Heh heh heh. Visiting sister in Boca Raton for the weekend. 91* here. Very pleasant around the pool!
Old 04-17-2021, 11:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:

Is this akin to a Northerner laughing at a Floridian who’s location has been decimated by a hurricane, tornado, flooding or sinkhole? We all have natural phenomenon occurring. I’d take a little pretty snow on bright green grass any day in the Spring which will melt almost immediately.

Last edited by Aces4; 04-17-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Yep. Pretty much.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Is this akin to a Northerner laughing at a Floridian who’s location has been decimated by a hurricane, tornado, flooding or sinkhole? We all have natural phenomenon occurring. I’d take a little pretty snow on bright green grass any day in the Spring which will melt almost immediately.
I've been here for nine years now. In that time we have had a few hurricanes pass through. The only time I recall there being any significant damage was about three years ago when the biggest storm in history passed directly over us. Most Villagers were completely unaffected. Some of us in the historic district lost power for a few days, a few trees and there was some minor damage to some carports and lanais on the manufactured homes.

It snowed in the morning which turned to sleet for the rest of the day. The temperatures were in the low 30s. Pretty snow? In my opinion, having lived in New England for over 50 years, there is no such thing as pretty snow. And if you think that the grass up there is green this time of year, you'r forgetting what is really like.

By the way, on the day of the snow and sleet, I hit some golf balls at the range and enjoyed the pool later on in 85 degree weather.

I'll take Florida anytime.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
I've been here for nine years now. In that time we have had a few hurricanes pass through. The only time I recall there being any significant damage was about three years ago when the biggest storm in history passed directly over us. Most Villagers were completely unaffected. Some of us in the historic district lost power for a few days, a few trees and there was some minor damage to some carports and lanais on the manufactured homes.

It snowed in the morning which turned to sleet for the rest of the day. The temperatures were in the low 30s. Pretty snow? In my opinion, having lived in New England for over 50 years, there is no such thing as pretty snow. And if you think that the grass up there is green this time of year, you'r forgetting what is really like.

By the way, on the day of the snow and sleet, I hit some golf balls at the range and enjoyed the pool later on in 85 degree weather.

I'll take Florida anytime.
You’re just a kid You missed the tornado in 2007 that hit The Villages but you must have seen the many episodes of sinkholes and then, of course, the hurricane you mentioned. No place is perfect.

We’re approximately 500 miles from the Canadian border in the Midwest and escaping to FL for a week in the winter is almost too long for me. Yes, the grass is beautifully green and we may have snow/sleet for an hour or two this week and by Saturday back into the sixties. I love it! I’m pleased you enjoy FL. But sneering at other people’s contentment is strange to me. Can’t we all be happy for one another or embrace empathy at least?

Last edited by Aces4; 04-18-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
You’re just a kid You missed the tornado in 2007 that hit The Villages but you must have seen the many episodes of sinkholes and then, of course, the hurricane you mentioned. No place is perfect.

We’re approximately 500 miles from the Canadian border in the Midwest and escaping to FL for a week in the winter is almost too long for me. Yes, the grass is beautifully green and we may have snow/sleet for an hour or two this week and by Saturday back into the sixties. I love it! I’m pleased you enjoy FL. But sneering at other people’s contentment is strange to me. Can’t we all be happy for one another or embrace empathy at least?
A tornado ripped through my home town just outside of Boston a few years ago and destroyed my sister's car. She was at work and it took off the side of her building. That same year a tornado did major damage in central Massachusetts. They have had more tornados in the past 20 years than we have.

Tornados can happen anywhere. They are rare in Florida and Massachusetts.

You're right. No place is perfect but I love it here and I'm glad that you love it there.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We left the Villages on Friday knowing it was snowing at home but by the time we got to Massachusetts on Saturday afternoon, all the snow was gone.
Closed Thread

Tags
snowing, turned, hour, half, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.