Social Security, yea or nay?

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Deanna View Post
Social Security is/was a good program until our leaders raided the fund. Isn't it curious how we may run out of Social Security funds but we never hear of a welfare program or food stamps that will run out of money?
Food stamps and different welfare programs do get massive cutbacks. Google food stamps and see how much was cut from the program recently. Social Security retirement has not seen cutbacks thankfully but keeps receiving a small increase (based on the CPI) each year.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Food stamps and different welfare programs do get massive cutbacks. Google food stamps and see how much was cut from the program recently. Social Security retirement has not seen cutbacks thankfully but keeps receiving a small increase (based on the CPI) each year.
Only the government could figure out how to cut a program and put millions more on the same program. It's all a shell game.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

people on welfare or food stamps do not have any personal contribution or vested/invested interest.

One only needs to meet the very shaky, very loose criteria that determines need.

As in most social freebies there are far to many who participate that are totally and completely unqualified.

Adding to the current bane of our country....no enforcement of the rules/law!!
Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
people on welfare or food stamps do not have any personal contribution or vested/invested interest.

One only needs to meet the very shaky, very loose criteria that determines need.

As in most social freebies there are far to many who participate that are totally and completely unqualified.

What criteria do you think is very shakey and loose? I would like to know how many people totally and completely unqualified. Also, what makes you think there is no enforcement of the law.

I know when I was a an 8 year old child with a younger brother and a bed ridden mother with MS, she received $135 a month in aid and bag of groceries once a month from the Sisters of the Poor. I had a paper route that provided $5 a week income. The criteria and enforcement of the welfare considered that income, therefore, would reduce the monthly aid. I hope the current criteria and enforcement does not approach that.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

And 13 million more people have been added to the food stamp rolls since 2009.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
And 13 million more people have been added to the food stamp rolls since 2009.
And fortunately in those words of great public servant whom I ardently supported and is the sunset of his life, "We are a kinder and gentler nation". I hope we never forget that.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
And fortunately in those words of great public servant whom I ardently supported and is the sunset of his life, "We are a kinder and gentler nation". I hope we never forget that.

Here is the rest of that speech.

A President must be many things.
He must be a shrewd protector of America's interests; and he must be an idealist who leads those who move for a freer and more democratic planet.
And he must see to it that government intrudes as little as possible in the lives of the people; and yet remember, that it is right and proper that a nation’s leader take’s an interest in the nation's character.
And he must be able to define -- and lead -- a mission.
For seven and a half years, I’ve worked with a great President -- I have seen what crosses that big desk. I’ve seen the unexpected crisis that arrives in a cable in a young aide's hand. And I have seen problems that simmer on for decades and suddenly demand resolution. And I’ve seen modest decisions made with anguish, and crucial decisions made with dispatch.
And so I know that what it all comes down to, this election -- what it all comes down to, after all the shouting and the cheers -- is the man at the desk.
And who should sit at the desk?
My friends, I am that man.
I say it -- I say it -- I say it without boast or bravado, I've fought for my country. I've served. I've built. And I’ll go from the hills to the hollows, from the cities to the suburbs to the loneliest town on the quietest street to take our message of hope and growth for every American to every American.
I will keep America moving forward, always forward -- for a better America, for an endless enduring dream and a thousand points of light.
This is my mission. And I will complete it.
Thank you. You know one -- You know it is customary to end an address with a pledge or a saying that holds a special meaning.
And I’ve chosen one that we all know by heart, one that we all learned in school. And I ask everyone in this great hall to stand and join me in this, we all know it.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Thank you, and God bless you.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

He must be a shrewd protector of America's interests; and he must be an idealist who leads those who move for a freer and more democratic planet.
And he must see to it that government intrudes as little as possible in the lives of the people; and yet remember, that it is right and proper that a nation’s leader take’s an interest in the nation's character.
For seven and a half years, I’ve worked with a great President -- I have seen what crosses that big desk. I’ve seen the unexpected crisis that arrives in a cable in a young aide's hand. And I have seen problems that simmer on for decades and suddenly demand resolution. And I’ve seen modest decisions made with anguish, and crucial decisions made with dispatch.
And so I know that what it all comes down to, this election -- what it all comes down to, after all the shouting and the cheers -- is the man at the desk.
I say it -- I say it -- I say it without boast or bravado, I've fought for my country. I've served. I've built. And I’ll go from the hills to the hollows, from the cities to the suburbs to the loneliest town on the quietest street to take our message of hope and growth for every American to every American.
I will keep America moving forward, always forward -- for a better America, for an endless enduring dream and a thousand points of light.
Thank you. You know one -- You know it is customary to end an address with a pledge or a saying that holds a special meaning.
And I’ve chosen one that we all know by heart, one that we all learned in school. And I ask everyone in this great hall to stand and join me in this, we all know it.
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Thank you and here are some quotes:

And I hope to stand for a new harmony, a greater tolerance. We've come far, but I think we need a new harmony among the races in our country. And we're on a journey into a new century, and we've got to leave that tired old baggage of bigotry behind.
It means, it means, teaching troubled children through your present that there’s no such, that there's such a thing as reliable love. Some would say it's soft and insufficiently tough to care about these things. But where is it written that we must act as if we do not care, as if we are not moved? Well I am moved. I want a kinder, and gentler nation.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:

He had good speechwriter, didn't he?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
He had good speechwriter, didn't he?
Yes, But I always thought George H.W.Bush believed in those principles.

But now that you mention it...we all tend to believe the person who represents the party we voted for. And that in itself is probably not the best thing.

If we all stopped swallowing things whole and reacting for or against certain canned statements we would be more effective citizens. And we would sleep a little better at night. This is the most polarized I have seen this nation in my lifetime.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Deanna View Post
Social Security is/was a good program until our leaders raided the fund. Isn't it curious how we may run out of Social Security funds but we never hear of a welfare program or food stamps that will run out of money?
When did "our leaders" raid SS? During the Vietnam War, LBJ included SS in the unified Federal budget for the first time but that was only to give the impression that we had a balanced budget. It was an accounting measure only. Is that what you're referring to? SSI is paid from general tax revenue and not from SS trust funds.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Are you suggesting that the the USA will default on it's debt? If so, there will be much, much more to worry about than SS. What investment might you suggest that would be better than US debt securities.?

If your premise is that we need to run surpluses and reduce the debt, I totally agree.
I'm trying to say, probably poorly, that we need to raise taxes to match our spending. I do believe the US will not be able to meet it's financial promises but it will not be called default. Very basic mathmatics should make this pretty clear. As a society we don't even want to raise gas taxes to fix our roads with at 2.00 and will instead issue more US bonds.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Yes, But I always thought George H.W.Bush believed in those principles.

But now that you mention it...we all tend to believe the person who represents the party we voted for. And that in itself is probably not the best thing.

If we all stopped swallowing things whole and reacting for or against certain canned statements we would be more effective citizens.
And we would sleep a little better at night. This is the most polarized I have seen this nation in my lifetime.
Excellent post! That is why I so appreciate some posters on here who really seek the truth. Their posts are thoughtful, humble, and attempts are often made to show proof of their points. Without naming names (which I don't think I'm supposed to do on here), thank you to those posters - you make me a more knowledgable and thoughtful person by reading your posts!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
I'm trying to say, probably poorly, that we need to raise taxes to match our spending. I do believe the US will not be able to meet it's financial promises but it will not be called default. Very basic mathmatics should make this pretty clear. As a society we don't even want to raise gas taxes to fix our roads with at 2.00 and will instead issue more US bonds.
Really!!! You do not think there is enough to spend as it is currently appropriated (note I did not say budgeted)?

It has been noted for months that this country has taken more in in reveunues than at any time in it's history.

Secondly I would not allow the increase of taxes on anybody until such time as the out of control programs and waste are contained first. Secondly go after those not currently paying their taxes starting with those who work in Washington first!

Revenues are sufficient. Spending is out of control. No magic here.

Cut spending and I do not mean every politicians favorites of medicare and SS.
I mean all the pork and favorite politician back home projects and special interest quid quo pros.

Insist on balancing the federal checkbook. Do you have an ability to arbitrarily increase your cash needs when you want to spend more?

Most of us do not!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:07 PM

"Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.